Cycling Around The Planet World Record Attempt

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
An attempt by Alan Bates, a Chiang Khong resident to ride the world in 99 days...

Cycling Around The Planet World Record Attempt

http://www.worldcyclingrecord.com/

Alan has ASIAN records for
1. Chiang Mai to Tak (8 hours 23 m, 287 km)
2. Chiang Mai to Bangkok (26 hours 4 m, 760 km)
3. Phuket to Bangkok (29 hours 15 m,930 km)
4. Chiang Khong to Chiang Rai(2 hours 42 m,105 km, at a record 43.6 km per hour.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
He's still going & now in Europe.

From http://www.worldcyclingrecord.com/2010/ ... pe-update/

EUROPE UPDATE
Hi everyone. I landed in Portugal, only to crash the first day and to put a deep cut in my left calf. I lost a day, then continued through Portugal, Spain and France. England a short and as expected grey visit. Happy though for UK stage. I met up with a cyclist named Tom Matthews in Calais and we rode together for 2 days….BIG THANKS for the company! Then onto Rubaix, to visit the famous velodrome. I was lucky to gain entry to the stadium and to do a lap of the finishing track for Paris Rubaix.

I continued South and into Italy yesterday. Very very hot and I had the company of another cyclist named Cecil Conn from Ireland. Past through Monaco, Nice, San Remo. Bike serviced at Speedwheel in Savona, a great shop, friendly and with a deep love of cycling.

Sorry I do not update often, I am shattered and find it difficult to do. Photo and video to follow later. So, now I am really looking forward to finishing this ride. Can’t wait to reach the end. The route a little wrong in Northern France, I didn’t go round in circles, at least not a big one. Please zoom in on route for more detail of my points.

So now, Italy, Greece and then I think India( I may change this). Then Thailand for the finish in Bangkok. Thanks for supporting me.

Absolutely amazing stuff. :clap:

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
From Bangkok Post 5th august 2010

Well done, I say.

167630.jpg

"This is what I am proud of most in my life. I've got a chance to do something to honour our father. He has done everything for his people," Mr Bates said, referring to His Majesty the King, whose work and dedication to the Thai people inspired him to cycle round the globe.

Mr Bates set off on his journey from the Equestrian Monument in Bangkok on March 31.

He travelled on from there to Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand. the US, Uruguay, Brazil, Europe, the United Arab Emirates and India and then back to Chiang Khong district in Chiang Rai before reaching the finishing line in Bangkok in front of the Grand Palace yesterday.

His trip covered 29,500 kilometres and beat the previous world record by 81 days.

A former member of the British national cycling team, Mr Bate, 45, visited Thailand and settled in Chiang Khong five years ago after he was impressed with the location and the friendliness of the people there.

His trip raised funds for underprivileged children in Thailand.