D-Trackers say farewell to Slash

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
On the eve of Colin's departure from Thailand, after spending the last 5 months touring the country, Kevin, Art & myself met up with the Slash Monster at Miguels on the Lamphun road for coffee & a chat before taking a farewell ride for the day.

We rode down to Saraphi where I took the lead & showed the guys a river side route through some village roads & bypassed the usual traffic holdups in the city of Lamphun.

Coming out on the 106, we rode south to Ban Hong, caused a sensation at the 7/11, had various discussions on some very diverse topics and then pressed on to Doi Tao.

31a-590x442.jpg

At the car park, the view across the valley was slightly clearer than a few weeks ago but just as dry. Today, led by the ever adventurous Kevin, we rode onto the bed of the valley, joining the cattle and experiencing the undulations of the partched dry flood plain.

4-590x394.jpg

9-590x394.jpg

11-590x394.jpg

13-590x394.jpg

14-590x394.jpg

After Doi Tao, we headed for the cut through to 4038 and then south towards 1087.

Along here, there was a chance to top up with fuel and also an opportunity for Slash to prove his skills, on road & off ! Following the road plough he decided he'd had enough & bronko'd across the border of the road. You can take the piss out of Slash but never the boy !

15-590x394.jpg

32a-590x442.jpg

16-590x394.jpg

18-590x394.jpg

At the 1087 we turned right & into the Mae Ping National Park, at the entrance, the guys worked their charms on the gatekeepers, we went through without too much hinderance or messing about with money.

19-590x394.jpg

Kaeng Ko View point gave us a birds eye view of the changing weather conditions, the sky building with storm clouds and lightening cracking across the opposite mountains. Wind picking up and the water turning from calm to showing white tops on waves.

20-590x394.jpg

22-590x394.jpg

23-590x394.jpg

24-590x394.jpg

25-590x394.jpg

26-590x394.jpg

29-590x394.jpg

The rain started to lash down on our return to the park entrance and immediately the roads began to steam. The rain eased and we arrived for a top up in Li almost dry, after the wind from the massive nearby storm blew a furnace upon us as we rode.

From the 106 we took the 1274 and then the 1184 north towards Lamphun. We nearly escaped the rain again but as we climbed through the brilliant twisties, we crossed the path of the storm and this time we were well and truely soaked to the skin, standing beneath sparsely leaved eucalyptus trees.

We took the interesting little road 4010 which runs to a piece of water on the map called Mae Moei Reservoir. Kevins habit of not leaving a stone unturned (especially near water) turned up some wildlife and Colin enjoyed capturing the beautiful little snakes on camera as well as under his boot!

34a-590x442.jpg

35a-590x442.jpg

36a-590x442.jpg

A brilliant ride, a fitting excursion to celebrate the close of Slash's holiday and a distance in excess of 420 kms.

Colin fly's out tomorrow evening, 31 March 2010, so we are having a bite to eat with him at Miguels on the Lamphun Road from 17:00 - 18:30. Anyone interested in stopping by will be very welcome.

Ally

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Hi Ally

Thank you for nice report nd Colin,, i dint know you leaving already but like mentioned last time,, i havent been here so often now days,, being occupied for doing "Nothing" and getting my nerves up with ever changing situation of my tyres,, as they never seems to show up...

ok, matey, have a fantstic flight to back homw and see you when you back.

Nov 2, 2008
What a great ride, from playing in the lake bed to ducking trees blown down by the wind. Riding through the wind and flying debris felt nice, and brought good memories of BC riding where half the rides had similar weather. In central and northern BC the saying goes ‘if you don’t like the weather wait 10 minutes’. Would also be fun to take a KLX down there, to help cross the Ping, and explore further. Had forgot about the 1184, despite the rain pelting down during the best corners, that’s a nice route.

Ally, glad you kept your collection of yesterdays Slash pictures down to two; we were just content with just throwing pebbles at him.

Tonight at 5 PM, at Miguel’s Nong Hoi will be having a going away dinner for Colin: everybody’s welcome. I’ll keep the chips and salsa coming and of course 10% off for GT Rider shirts (always).

Best Regards,
Kevin

Apr 23, 2006
Wish I wasn't so far from CNX - sounds like you had a good time!
Hope to meet you when you return Capt. Slash

Nov 2, 2008
Glad you made it safe and sound on your long journey home; not much fun when you’re not riding is it? Sitting here, sweating as it feels like the hottest day of the year so far (you left at the right time), and looking out the patio window at a Phantom that is just sparkling and gleaming in the sun. Though Randi wants me to get the chain up to snuff and clean it thoroughly to match the rest of the bike. Bought a big can of ‘dry grease’ to try on the chains here; any thoughts on that kind of product?

It’s on my bike and rides quite quiet so far, the problem I’d mentioned being a ramped front sprocket causing the noise. My fault should have changed that, too many years of running non o-ring chains lead me to be lazy/cheap. Cost was ok, 1000 Baht for both front and back sprockets. Pretty darn sure the last rear sprocket I bought was about 2500.

Hope in time more people realize I'm happy to provide pre ride coffee and breakfast burritos, all in exchange for getting out for a great ride as our farewell for now Slash ride.

Cheer

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Colin, your bloods getting acclimatized to being here !! Next time, just don't go back :wink:

Still you should have enough coffee to warm ya cockles and some brilliant memories to saviour and help lift your spirits.

Kevin, I will call you soon to arrange a post scrub-up photo shoot and pin the results here for Slash to cry over!

Talk to you soon and looking forward to a pre ride coffee & brekki.

Ally