DUCATI builds V4 engines?

Discussion in 'General Discussion / News / Information' started by KZ, Jul 4, 2008.

1. KZ

KZ Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just read in a magazine that in August two limited series DUCATI Desmosedici D16RR models will arrive for sale in Bangkok for about $75000 a pop. So who's buying the other one? Just kidding.
    But I read that this bike employs a 990cc 16 valve V4 - first time I hear of a four-cylinder DUCATI. Has this been going on for a long time?

2. Pikey

Pikey www.tbbtours.com

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, since Ducati entered MotoGP when it went 4 stroke. Someone more into Dukes (Snail, Rustic Charm, Monsterman or Azoulay no doubt) will prob be able to let you know the exact year but definitely the last 3 or 4 years. If I remember rightly, they also one the constructors championship title in their first year.

The MotoGP replica went on sale late last year I think.

Cheers,

Pikey.

3. desmomonstro

desmomonstro Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they produce v4 990 but they dont produce vtr250 with ducati sticker on it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. Shawn in Oz

Shawn in Oz Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep, the MotoGP replica would be my dream bike if I had the spare cash
    & I could always pull 2 spark plugs out to make snail feel better :D

5. shanes

shanes Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    they cost 75 usd in the states as my mate has one , i very much doubt you will get one in this country for any where near that money ,you should except to pay double that here

6. desmomonstro

desmomonstro Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the price is 3,4 mb wich is about 100000 usd.

7. monsterman

monsterman Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    They actually made a V4 750 in the late 1960s but decided it was too heay and went for the V /L twin format.

expect the V4 to be built for other Ducati models in the future as Aprillia now also do a V4

8. KZ

KZ Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm... I bet they know what they're doing, maybe with all that high-powered japanese competition the V-Twin just wasn't cutting it anymore, kind of like at BMW, they came out in '83 with a triple/four cylinder...
    But to me a DUCATI is a 90 dgree V-Twin! A red italian bike that sounds like a V-Max is something to get used to...
    On the other hand I was laughing about old fashioned Harley riders who didn't want to accept a watercooled OHC Sportster. Times (and machinery) are changing, that's progress, but I hope that V-Twin DUCATI bikes will still be available for a long time.