DUCATI builds V4 engines?

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Just read in a magazine that in August two limited series DUCATI Desmosedici D16RR models will arrive for sale in Bangkok for about $75000 a pop. So who's buying the other one? Just kidding.
But I read that this bike employs a 990cc 16 valve V4 - first time I hear of a four-cylinder DUCATI. Has this been going on for a long time?

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
KZ wrote:
But I read that this bike employs a 990cc 16 valve V4 - first time I hear of a four-cylinder DUCATI. Has this been going on for a long time?

Yep, since Ducati entered MotoGP when it went 4 stroke. Someone more into Dukes (Snail, Rustic Charm, Monsterman or Azoulay no doubt) will prob be able to let you know the exact year but definitely the last 3 or 4 years. If I remember rightly, they also one the constructors championship title in their first year.

The MotoGP replica went on sale late last year I think.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Jan 7, 2004
Yep, the MotoGP replica would be my dream bike if I had the spare cash
& I could always pull 2 spark plugs out to make snail feel better :D

shanes

Feb 15, 2008
they cost 75 usd in the states as my mate has one , i very much doubt you will get one in this country for any where near that money ,you should except to pay double that here

Oct 17, 2006
They actually made a V4 750 in the late 1960s but decided it was too heay and went for the V /L twin format.

expect the V4 to be built for other Ducati models in the future as Aprillia now also do a V4

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Hmmm... I bet they know what they're doing, maybe with all that high-powered japanese competition the V-Twin just wasn't cutting it anymore, kind of like at BMW, they came out in '83 with a triple/four cylinder...
But to me a DUCATI is a 90 dgree V-Twin! A red italian bike that sounds like a V-Max is something to get used to...
On the other hand I was laughing about old fashioned Harley riders who didn't want to accept a watercooled OHC Sportster. Times (and machinery) are changing, that's progress, but I hope that V-Twin DUCATI bikes will still be available for a long time.