Entering Chine

alen

Jun 20, 2005
Hi ,I am planning a m/bike trip from Thialand.
I wonder if it is possible to enter Chine by m/bike ?
Also i would like to know if it is possible to buy/rent m/bike in Chine?
I would be glad to get some information about those topics.
Thanks have a safe ride!

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Step 1 - go to "New Users"
Step 2 - Click on the "Welcome" post
Step 3 - Read about crossing borders and buying bikes

THEN - ask specific questions

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Jul 6, 2004
The answer, at this moment is NO!
I am living in Shanghai at thr moment, and researching the idea of renting/buying a bike here. bloody difficult unless you have a work permit and a residency permit. After all it is still a communist country.
There is an excellant link about China go to BUTCH'S web site, Red Devils MC. it will give you everything you need.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Tom

Edelweiss Tours now runs trips in China. Here is the link.
http://www.edelweissbike.com/tours/E/CONTINENTS/ASIA

A recent article in the BMWMOA Newsletter describes one of their trips that took place in April of 2005. Edelweiss uses brand new BMW GS bikes - F650s and R1200s. They also claim that "Participation with your own or any other motorcycle possible".

These tours only started recently, since the Chinese government only just began allowing the importation of BMW motorcycles - according to the article.

I don't know whether this is only for the tour business, or if there will be dealers, or if a private individual can bring one in.

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Jul 6, 2004
Hi BobS,
I am getting a lot of conflicting info from the expats in Shanghai,first the touring group could have brokered a deal with the authorities, as it is well documented on this site and H.U. that it costs a shit load of $ to get around China on your own. Alarge group would obviously share the cost.
The idea of bringing my own bike up here is presently a thought only,as the info I am getting, its going to take time. I have to catch up with Butch on that matter.
The other option is rent or buy a big bike here any you have little choice,a Chang Jiang out of Biejing would be the besr buy. a company called www.sidecar-solution.com is advertising rentals and buys. So it is possible, but with strings attached such as permanent residency, work permits etc etc.
I will keep you posted after I catch up with Butch
Cheers
Tom
quote:

Originally posted by BobS

Hi Tom

Edelweiss Tours now runs trips in China. Here is the link.
http://www.edelweissbike.com/tours/E/CONTINENTS/ASIA

A recent article in the BMWMOA Newsletter describes one of their trips that took place in April of 2005. Edelweiss uses brand new BMW GS bikes - F650s and R1200s. They also claim that "Participation with your own or any other motorcycle possible".

These tours only started recently, since the Chinese government only just began allowing the importation of BMW motorcycles - according to the article.

I don't know whether this is only for the tour business, or if there will be dealers, or if a private individual can bring one in.

BobS

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Tom

Found out something interesting about the Edelweiss bikes in China. The article I mentioned said that "saddlebags could not be obtained in time for the first tour but will likely be included on later tours"

I was talking to a tankbag manufacturer here in the USA. He is supplying some tankbags for those bikes, but each rider that goes over has to bring one as hand luggage. My guess is that the saddlebags will have to go over the same way.

Apparently, whatever the import deal was, it did not include any accessories.

BobS