Fair price for a 200cc Phantom?

RJ

Jan 21, 2006
I'd like to know what a fair price would be for this bike.

the owner's description:

"It's about 3 years old with approximately 30,000 kilometers. Regular oil changes every 3,000 k. never any problems. new chain. large 17" wheels with dunlop tires, luggage rack, deluxe-trim package, specially installed roll-bar, wind-screen. fully insured, including comprehensive, theft, etc. All paperwork, with license. Can be registered in your name."

Thanks for any input,
Russ

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
This is like asking how much do you pay a bar girl.

Do a little research first. Go to the dealer and find out how much a new model with the same options would cost. Many of the items listed come standard with the bike. Then check out the bike itself, and verify the condition. Test ride it, and have a mechanic look at it.

You can ask the dealer what he would give for the bike on a trade in, and what he would sell it for. A fair pice would probably be in between those numbers.

Compare the price to other bikes for sale. Is a Phantom really what you want? They are only 200cc engines, even though they look like baby Harleys.

Ask how long the insurance coverage is good for, and what is the cost per year. Also find out if the comprehensive and theft coverage can be continued and for how long.

This bike is made in Thailand, so having a book and plate is standard - and any foreigner can register it, even on a tourist visa.

It is a different market, but the final price is still "Up to you".

BobS

"The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not and never persist in trying to set people right."

Rusty

Sep 2, 2005
I like the bargirl analogy...you're right Bob! It IS like asking about a bargirl...

Do a little research first. Go to the poor provinces and find out how much a virgin or low-use bargirl would cost. Many of the parts on a bargirl come standard. (NOTE I said many, not all)

You could ask a mamasan how much you could get for an old minger bargirl traded in on a younger, better looking 18 year old version. Ask her what would be a fair price. Probably somewhere in the middle of those two would be what to expect.

Then, checkout the bargirl herself and verify her condition. Make sure there are no leaks. Compare her with some of the other bargirls in town. Take her for a test ride and have a doctor check her out. (maybe do the latter first!)

And finally, is a bargirl really what you want? Bargirls are only in it for the money, even though they may act like they love you most of the time. C'mon, be honest here!

And remember, if the bargirl is native to Thailand, any foreinger can ride her, even if they are only here on a tourist visa for a short visit. Is that what you want to happen when you are away?

Take the time to ask yourself how long the bargirl would still interest you, and the cost per year. You might discover it would be better to find a different one after a while because you will get bored and the maintenance costs may get too expensive.

It is a different market, but the final price is still "up to you"!
[:D]

PS: Here is some more serious info stave off the "forum police":

I looked into buying one new (a Phantom) in Nan and they wanted about 84,000 baht, back in November 2005. They are a reliable and cheap bike but do lack in power, well, it's just a 200. I rode one hard for 3 weeks over all the mountains I could find and managed to only wear out the rear brakes. I can't believe the engine didn't blow! - Just don't buy a used one from a rental place! [;)] I would consider the markdown percent on other used bikes in that year and km range. If you ask a dealer how much you could get for it as a trade-in they will low ball you, but that could be a starting point that's low for the private market. If you offer say, 50,000, (how much are they asking?)the worst they could do is say no.

Nov 14, 2004
Rusty, The bargirl analogy was a metaphor.
It must have tickled your fancy to turn it into a saga of epic preportions, rememer, it's only a phantom that started the post.[:)]
So enjoy your ride,( M-CY) and get the word-smithery into you about your trip,(ride) to some far flung crn of Thailand, Half ya luck!!
Your Mate in "OZ" Scott

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
..."about 3 years old".... hmmm.... 30.000Km.... hmmmmm.....
All I can say that I like those "Micky Mouse Choppers", you get a lot of bike, even though only 200cc, at least compared to a Honda Wave...
I know a lot of readers have "rael" bikes, I had a Intruder 1400 in another life, too, but still, these little bikes are amazing. Don't put them down if you've never ridden one, like I did at first.
I bought a two year old clean model with 8.000km on the clock, a few small scratches, no extra's, for 55.000 Baht off a tourist in Phuket. If this bike is clean, I'd say the price would be in the lower 50's, since I got a good deal.

BobS

Jan 20, 2003
Hi Klaus

This bike was being advertised in Chiang Mai for 75,000 baht. I suspect that the original post was from the owner, tryng to figure out why it was not selling.

BobS

Aug 3, 2004
Hello Bob,
I think you are right. Someone who makes a post, gets some good quality replies and doesn’t acknowledge them is either suspect or has bad manners. As I mentioned to you a few days ago when I was in CM I just bought a second Phantom 8 months old with only1700kms on the clock with green book for a very good price. The price will always depend on the motivation of the vendor and the patience of the buyer. Fortunately some Phantom friends in Surin “conditioned” the seller for me. I agree with you Klaus, the Phantom is underrated as an all purpose bike. My brother and I just completed 3500km in 10 days on a pair of Phantoms in safety, comfort and good speed. We did the Doi Intanaon, Samoeang and MHS loops and went up to Mae Sai and back to Sisaket. The only problem of any kind we had was that the crash bar from Apichai in Bkk kept digging in so we removed it before doing the big loop.
I will be doing a trip report with all the details as soon as I am organized.
Cheers Peter

"The Journey is the Destination"

RJ

Jan 21, 2006
Thank you everybody for your replies. I found BobS's advice particularly good, although despite the large number of dealers I've been to, I've yet to find a new bar-girl.

In fact, I was thinking of buying the bike in question. I guess I could have clarified that by fair price, I meant a number that one might reasonably be able to expect to resell the bike for, within a reasonable amount of time.

The bike in question was likely the same one BobS mentioned, but price offered to me was 68,000. I believe it's still available if anyone is interested.

As for myself, I'm presently the lucky caretaker of an older Honda Bros while a friend is off weighing his options elsewhere.