First Streetfighter 848 in Thailand

Mar 1, 2012
Thats crazy even if most were 795's. Those number can only grow if/when they continue adding bikes to the Assembled in Thailand list. I wonder what the ratio is of home build monsters and Diavel's vs imports. sounds like we are going to have a lot more Duc's on the road in the coming year.

Oct 17, 2006
Rustic Charm;281489 wrote: On a side note, a reliable source told me DucatIThailand sold 200 bikes last month.
asked my thai friend at Bangkok registration center he said that 209 ducatis were registered in July and 18 HDs only 14 triumphs and 9 BMWs , he cant break down the figures for Big Kawasakis they are lumped in with all the little bikes but he says an average of more than 400+ ER6/versys sell each month ,the above figures are for official main dealer bikes not grey machines he also said that a larger than normal number of grey bikes are being presented at the moment as well as above official bikes probably to beat any possible ban on grey registrations which he personally thinks is not entirely enforcable.

my HD dealer says last couple of months have been tough trading ,lots of customers away working but many bikes in store making him maintenance money and storage fees ,but few bike sales or accesories

the disparity between Ducati and triumph sales is noticable , triumphs made in thailand are seriously over priced now compared to ducatis made in thailand and attracts same excise rates shows in the sales figures

Mar 1, 2012
Wow, that is really great for Ducati. I wonder if some of the others will follow Ducati's lead with assembly and pricing in the near future in order to stay competitive.

Oct 17, 2006
A 795 Hpermotard would sell really well its a No brainer ..... possibly a baby 795 multistrada as well or a locally assembled Multistrada with the diavel engine 1200 would be another possibility then the multistarda 1200 would be about 800k as well .

I am sure they have something in the pipeline what with all the rumours ??????

Mar 1, 2012
Yea, The bike truly deserves the reviews its getting. I guess its time for me to add mine for anyone that is interested:

It took me a while to get the thing broken in just because of my work schedule and had a bit of a time finding people to ride with. Now I have a regular weekend group and have clocked almost 4000 km on the bike. We did an 800km overnight ride all through kanchanabury this weekend. Now that it is broken in, all I can say is Wow! Its a totally different machine between 7k and 11k rpm than it was from 4-7k. I actually broke it in properly. This weekends ride was on all kinds of road surfaces and conditions. From pouring down rain, high winds and trees down across the road trying to dodge pot holes filled with water to perfect wide winding up and down dry roads with little to no traffic. The last bit we were able to do at fairly high speeds for about an hour and a half. This streetfighter sticks to the pavement like glue. I had the traction control set on the most conservative setting(8) due to the wet conditions of saturday and sunday morning when we departed. I have just been getting used to riding again as I have not owned a bike for about 10 years. I have not owned a sport bike since 1988. The wet to drying road conditions we had this morning were a perfect warm up. Most of the guys I ride with have 795 monsters but we have a new member in our group and he is sporting an 848. He was leading this morning and I was number 2 of 7 in the line up. Before long the tires were warmed up and we really started to pick up the speed. Having him in front of me really gave my confidence a boost and I started to trust the bike more. I have been somewhat timid on wet roads since I have always considered myself a fair weather rider. I have found that if you want to ride all year around in thailand, you better learn to enjoy riding in the rain. Anyway, with traction control engaged and a fresh review of how well this bike rides and another on the Diablo Rosso Corsa tires and how well they perform on both wet and dry surfaces on my mind, I started letting the bike do the work. Before I knew it I was tipping in to corners faster today on wet roads than I had been on dry. ( I cant say enough about these tires) As the road dried, the surface conditions got better. Before i knew it the roads had a perfect surface, wide with a very wide shoulder and long, rolling sweeping turns. It really was incredible. this is hands down the best day of riding I have ever had. Even as the roads dried I didnt mess with the traction control settings. With it on 8 I was able to easily accelerate coming out of the apex with confidence. This is the first bike I have ever ridden with traction control so it took a bit for me to get where i actually trusted it. Twisting that throttle while still in a turn on wet pavement was something that would have just sent me into the ditch or oncoming traffic at any other time in my life : / My friend on the 848 and I stopped at the entrance to the area we had been riding to wait for the others to join us. We walks back to me with a big grin on his face and a big thumbs up. He says wow, the new streetfighter handles really well! I wont mention how fast he said we hit. To sum it up, The bike handles like a dream on all road condtions I have been on. I thought the thing pulled on the low end while I was breaking it in but the acceleration at the top of of the tac is so good it that I cant help grinning from ear to ear every time i do it. The new traction control puts all that power to ground in a way that suits every rider skill in any condition. 1,2 and 3 on the settings will actually allow the tire to spin and is recommended for the track only. The upright seated position allows for great visibility especially in city traffic and makes for comfortable long rides. I have have ridden 600 km in a day and had no problems at all. I do have the comfort seat installed and that is a must get for long rides. The rear set works great for me. At first I had problems getting to the rear break but after an hour or so on the bike it wasnt an issue. I am 180cm tall with somewhat long legs and it fits me perfect. The seat height is fairly high and the comfort seat adds another inch or so. The clutch pull is fairly heavy even though its a wet clutch. It doesnt bother me at all now but when I first started riding it my left hand and fore arm were a bit sore. ABS is not offered on this bike but braking is strong and predictable. As far as what the Bike looks like. Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder. I will tell you that its almost like being a rock star anywhere I go on this bike. Just about anywhere I park it people are taking pictures with it when I walk out. Last but not least, the sound. I have Termi carbon fiber cans with removable DB killers. The sound of this bike is an audio orgasm! It cant help but excite you when you hear it. At idle, the L twin is rough and sounds unrefined. Almost Harley like(I have owned and enjoyed them also so I can say that :)) As you pull through the rpm's to 6 or 7k it starts to sound more like the engine of a ww2 fighter. At 8000 rpm and up it screams like a Formula 1 car. As you decelerate through the gears its makes this delightful popping and snapping sound that to the majority's ear probably makes them think there is something wrong with the bike. There is nothing wrong with this bike! At any rate, everywhere i go people hear this bike stop what they are doing, look, smile and point. Then they wave and come over to ask if they can take a pic. Add that to the fact that it is an easy to ride commuter and a formidable track contender. What more can you ask for?

This is my review of the 2012 Ducati 848 Streetfighter. I might be a bit bias but it has been as honest as I can be.

Cheers,

Mike