From Doi Saket - A morning in the mountains.

Steve Merchant

Subscribed
Dec 11, 2009
Having once lived in Doi Saket it's a real surprise to see just how tourism took off in the northern mountainous area of what was once a sleepy out post off the 118. It became coffee country, a hot spring destination, a place for zip-line riders, bikers and even walkers, all of which I missed and all brutally assaulted by the Covid which has shut down most of these things for almost 2 years. With New Year on the way I was paying a visit to my son who still lives just off the 118 near Doi Saket and thought I would take this opportunity for a morning ride in the mountains. Having seen some pictures and heard stories it was time I experienced the road out and the sight of The Giant.
With all the roadworks finished its just a few minutes until you reach the well sign posted turn off for the Doi Saket hot springs along route 3005. This early the sun was just over the horizon and straight into the eyes of a biker heading east, a good reason not to go before 8am next time. The 4074 is a left turn and the road slowly rises and narrows as it nears Mae Kampong which is once again beginning to draw a few Thai tourists especially as the New Year was just 3 days away. There was a couple of the silver grey vans and several SUV's with city people from the plains eager to experience some cold weather and get their gloves and hats out. The left off of this small road narrowed even more and the most obvious sign to follow was Lanna Wild who must have just erected new signs. Once up here it was truly a twisting trail with small guest house, lodgings and coffee shops either perched up above the road or dug in down below next to the mountain stream. Personally I was glad to be on a bike with SUV's coming the other way taking up 75% of the lane.
IMG_20211229_084522_1.jpg
IMG_20211229_084455.jpg

As can be seen from these pictures we are already into what I call phase 2 of the tourism business. At first people are in awe of the local villages, simple wooden buildings and primitive facilities but within no time modern luxuries win out and the chalets and bungalows become quite sophisticated. A few have been caught a little between the two and at times its hard to know whats for the tourist and whats for the wealthier house and land owners who either make the long journey every day or much more likely own weekend residences. Whoever they are at the moment there is an optimism that tourists are coming back and there is a lot of building construction, repair and maintenance.
IMG_20211229_085312_1.jpg
IMG_20211229_084851_1.jpg

The last few attractions up here are well isolated and away from the majority of the traffic which is just as well because the road gets very steep, virtually single lane and does a few dramatic switchbacks. The forest here is as near to pristine as can be found in north Thailand. Some beautiful old trees, a few added coffee bushes and some large green leaf of the banana-ginger variety usually found in the damp mountains. Quite what the people with the temporary plastic roofing were doing I'm not sure but it looked more like a home or business enterprise than it did tourism.
IMG_20211229_085941_1.jpg

IMG_20211229_090151_1.jpg

IMG_20211229_090343_1.jpg

Once at the top of the ridge its a short distance until the Buddha image is right in front of you and just a few hundred yards to The Giant which I assume is named for the fig tree rather than the coffee shop/homestay that sits here. Even at 9am they had visitors in numbers, most in private vehicles costing far more than my house and some in rented songthaews. Its amazing to think that people will come all this way into a remote hilltop forest to sample an expensive cold sweet coffee but it has to be said the setting is rather terrific.
IMG_20211229_090947.jpg
IMG_20211229_091105_1.jpg

I made sure by asking the woman serving drinks to the drivers if the road was passable going on from here and got the usually, oh yeh, no problem, probably from someone who has never travelled along it. But off I went having already read reports of a broken but passable surface. And thats what it is in parts, definitely ready for a resurface and a widening. There was a very steep downhill section but thankfully hard and only cracked not yet broken. It was dark and damp with the sun not yet high in the sky and I finally came to a local village nestled at the valley bottom untouched by tourism or modern development beyond cars, bikes and electricity. Homes built almost entirely from wood apart from some concrete pillars and glass windows. I was impressed with the wooden slats/tiles.
IMG_20211229_092718_1.jpg
IMG_20211229_093128_1.jpg

Heading up to the ridge on the other side of the stream was the worst section of road on the trip. Being steep I didn't stop to take any pictures but the bitumen had worn away so there were ruts, stones, holes and dust. Not a bit I would wish to be coming down on but no big deal going up. Near the top there was a large piece of rebuild where the complete road had recently fallen away and down and a big and costly effort had been made to pack it all back with big stones held in wire frames which my picture failed to capture. Then it was down to another valley village that again highlighted the difference between the rented and local homes. By now the road width was such that I was having trouble deciding what was the road to follow and what was the cement drive into a large house.
IMG_20211229_094144_1.jpg
IMG_20211229_095100_1.jpg
IMG_20211229_101437_1.jpg

Coming off a steep down hill I was caught between two similarly sized lanes and thankfully the internet connection and a look at google maps saved me taking a long cut. It probably didn't go far, possibly to a temple I saw signposted. Soon after that I was in a valley and came out on the 4063 what I call 'Doi Saket coffee country' and once more the scene of past tourism that everyone hopes is on the way back. Some very innovative buildings that really do deserve a bit more custom than they are presently getting. Having to leave paradise and come back to the reality of earth and a visit to Chiang Mai Immigration to do a 90 day report, I chose to take the 1317 back to the city, another route I have never in my life ridden on. A most intriguing feature of this road is the 3 kilometre section with a removable forest, for sale as individual, fully grown trees. And yes, they had buyers which I was mistaken for as a very pleasant young woman came over to my parked bike to see what I was interested in buying. A take-away maybe?
IMG_20211229_104248_1.jpg

Doi Saket, Mountain morning..png

Last edited:

Guzzibs

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Jul 20, 2018
Having once lived in Doi Saket it's a real surprise to see just how tourism took off in the northern mountainous area of what was once a sleepy out post off the 118. It became coffee country, a hot spring destination, a place for zip-line riders, bikers and even walkers, all of which I missed and all brutally assaulted by the Covid which has shut down most of these things for almost 2 years. With New Year on the way I was paying a visit to my son who still lives just off the 118 near Doi Saket and thought I would take this opportunity for a morning ride in the mountains. Having seen some pictures and heard stories it was time I experienced the road out and the sight of The Giant.
With all the roadworks finished its just a few minutes until you reach the well sign posted turn off for the Doi Saket hot springs along route 3005. This early the sun was just over the horizon and straight into the eyes of a biker heading east, a good reason not to go before 8am next time. The 4074 is a left turn and the road slowly rises and narrows as it nears Mae Kampong which is once again beginning to draw a few Thai tourists especially as the New Year was just 3 days away. There was a couple of the silver grey vans and several SUV's with city people from the plains eager to experience some cold weather and get their gloves and hats out. The left off of this small road narrowed even more and the most obvious sign to follow was Lanna Wild who must have just erected new signs. Once up here it was truly a twisting trail with small guest house, lodgings and coffee shops either perched up above the road or dug in down below next to the mountain stream. Personally I was glad to be on a bike with SUV's coming the other way taking up 75% of the lane.
View attachment 144630View attachment 144632
As can be seen from these pictures we are already into what I call phase 2 of the tourism business. At first people are in awe of the local villages, simple wooden buildings and primitive facilities but within no time modern luxuries win out and the chalets and bungalows become quite sophisticated. A few have been caught a little between the two and at times its hard to know whats for the tourist and whats for the wealthier house and land owners who either make the long journey every day or much more likely own weekend residences. Whoever they are at the moment there is an optimism that tourists are coming back and there is a lot of building construction, repair and maintenance.
View attachment 144634View attachment 144635
The last few attractions up here are well isolated and away from the majority of the traffic which is just as well because the road gets very steep, virtually single lane and does a few dramatic switchbacks. The forest here is as near to pristine as can be found in north Thailand. Some beautiful old trees, a few added coffee bushes and some large green leaf of the banana-ginger variety usually found in the damp mountains. Quite what the people with the temporary plastic roofing were doing I'm not sure but it looked more like a home or business enterprise than it did tourism.
View attachment 144636

View attachment 144648

View attachment 144638
Once at the top of the ridge its a short distance until the Buddha image is right in front of you and just a few hundred yards to The Giant which I assume is named for the fig tree rather than the coffee shop/homestay that sits here. Even at 9am they had visitors in numbers, most in private vehicles costing far more than my house and some in rented songthaews. Its amazing to think that people will come all this way into a remote hilltop forest to sample an expensive cold sweet coffee but it has to be said the setting is rather terrific.
View attachment 144639View attachment 144640
I made sure by asking the woman serving drinks to the drivers if the road was passable going on from here and got the usually, oh yeh, no problem, probably from someone who has never travelled along it. But off I went having already read reports of a broken but passable surface. And thats what it is in parts, definitely ready for a resurface and a widening. There was a very steep downhill section but thankfully hard and only cracked not yet broken. It was dark and damp with the sun not yet high in the sky and I finally came to a local village nestled at the valley bottom untouched by tourism or modern development beyond cars, bikes and electricity. Homes built almost entirely from wood apart from some concrete pillars and glass windows. I was impressed with the wooden slats/tiles.
View attachment 144641View attachment 144642
Heading up to the ridge on the other side of the stream was the worst section of road on the trip. Being steep I didn't stop to take any pictures but the bitumen had worn away so there were ruts, stones, holes and dust. Not a bit I would wish to be coming down on but no big deal going up. Near the top there was a large piece of rebuild where the complete road had recently fallen away and down and a big and costly effort had been made to pack it all back with big stones held in wire frames which my picture failed to capture. Then it was down to another valley village that again highlighted the difference between the rented and local homes. By now the road width was such that I was having trouble deciding what was the road to follow and what was the cement drive into a large house.
View attachment 144643View attachment 144644View attachment 144647
Coming off a steep down hill I was caught between two similarly sized lanes and thankfully the internet connection and a look at google maps saved me taking a long cut. It probably didn't go far, possibly to a temple I saw signposted. Soon after that I was in a valley and came out on the 4063 what I call 'Doi Saket coffee country' and once more the scene of past tourism that everyone hopes is on the way back. Some very innovative buildings that really do deserve a bit more custom than they are presently getting. Having to leave paradise and come back to the reality of earth and a visit to Chiang Mai Immigration to do a 90 day report, I chose to take the 1317 back to the city, another route I have never in my life ridden on. A most intriguing feature of this road is the 3 kilometre section with a removable forest, for sale as individual, fully grown trees. And yes, they had buyers which I was mistaken for as a very pleasant young woman came over to my parked bike to see what I was interested in buying. A take-away maybe?
View attachment 144646

View attachment 144645
Beauty mate it is lovely country. I got lost out that way couple of years back and thought I might have to spend the night in the bush but at the last moment ran into a little place which had homestay. Lucky me. Good to see a few tourists return at the moment for the poor buggers who have to make a living from them. Good write up mate must go back that way soon to get lost again.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Excellent Steve. The pace of change has been incredible with that mass tourism onslaught, and impossible to keep up with.
I can remember once upon a time thinking that you knew all the places & you pretty much did 15-20 years ago, such was the moderate rate of development, but not anymore, the pace was frantic up until covid hit. So perhaps there is a bit of a silver lining in the dark covid clouds - time to slow a bit & think a bit more how far & fast the development should go?

Good coffee used to be a bit like finding a needle in a haystack, they were so few & far between, but not anymore. The hills & towns are awash with them.

This shot is a beauty & signifies some classic tourism to me. Should be more of them.
1640931025538.png

Thanks for the contribution.

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Lakota

Subscribed
Oct 10, 2011
Yes, an excellent write up. I've passed Doi Saket maybe a thousand times but it was just confirmation on the road that I was getting close to my destination of Chiang Mai. I think I once took that road maybe 15 years ago.

Ughetto

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Mar 29, 2021
I went chae son national park 2 weeks ago because one friend say this road is beautiful.
When I was there suggest to me also to go in direction of doi saket but I had to go back Ching rai I was coming from Chiang Mai exactly from wiang heng.
Chae son is one of the national park more beautiful and well organized in Thailand with river waterfall and hotspring.
In the pictures another park at the top of the mountain along road 1252
D615259D-5539-47CA-B402-294E47909032.jpeg

F8CFC1EF-4077-4288-8A25-C3740741FC3B.jpeg
5D378D53-6F5A-4B06-A823-4B0985CC56CF.jpeg
16373517-EF5A-43E1-BC0E-A286D98C0A7D.jpeg
6A05209F-4E5A-4914-BBDA-BCD0DA8815B7.jpeg
87D27DA6-6022-44A9-9438-DA955E0C3880.jpeg

Last edited: