From Pattaya To Ao Nang With The Motorbike

Luc

Nov 11, 2018
Hello GT-riders friends, i like to make a trip with my motorbike from pattaya to ao Nang, I have the schedule for 4 hours a day to drive, and has someone advice on the route, any good tips for an overnight stay where your motorcycle can be safely parked? thank you in advance ,greatz Luc

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
B7E10CE9-217E-4AB1-93EE-E2E6B0997CA6.png
Hello GT-riders friends, i like to make a trip with my motorbike from pattaya to ao Nang, I have the schedule for 4 hours a day to drive, and has someone advice on the route, any good tips for an overnight stay where your motorcycle can be safely parked? thank you in advance ,greatz Luc

Im not the best known rider through BKK but to get through there on a bike can be a bit tricky. I dont know if youre aware of that? The highway 7 from Pattaya towards BKK turns into a tollroad and motorbikes are not allowed on it from around Chonburi town. So you have to ride down to R3 and follow that. And when at the Chao Phraya River you have to take a ferry to cross it as bikes are not allowed to use bridges in and around BKK. (Actually your not going through BKK province going this way, youre going through all the Samut provinces, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon and Samut Songkhram)
I think this will be the best and shortest and fastest way going from Pattaya to «the other side of BKK»
Any other way I guess have to be in a huge circle around BKK. Would probably take half a day more.

When your on the other side of the ferry crossing you have to ride up to R303 and then up to R35 and then westward to where you meet R4. Then you turn south and can relax....
After entering R4 southbond theres really not many alternatives along there until you are at Chumpon. (Theres a paralell road in the Cha Am-Hua Hin area but better to stay off that)
From Chumpon you can turn westwards on R4 and head towards Ranong. Then further via Khao Lak, Phang Nga down to Krabi and Ao Nang. Its longer than the alternative R41 and R44 but more enjoyable and much more to see imo.

Accomodation is nada problem to find along the way. And most of them have secure parking. I would not worry about that.

I just wonder if you gonna ride only 4 hours a day - what are you going to do the rest of the day?

Here is the spot you need to aim for to get over the Chao Phraya river:

Last edited:
Reactions: Moto-Rex

Luc

Nov 11, 2018
View attachment 126189

Im not the best known rider through BKK but to get through there on a bike can be a bit tricky. I dont know if youre aware of that? The highway 7 from Pattaya towards BKK turns into a tollroad and motorbikes are not allowed on it from around Chonburi town. So you have to ride down to R3 and follow that. And when at the Chao Phraya River you have to take a ferry to cross it as bikes are not allowed to use bridges in and around BKK. (Actually your not going through BKK province going this way, youre going through all the Samut Hprovinces, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon and Samut Songkhram)
I think this will be the best and shortest and fastest way going from Pattaya to «the other side of BKK»
Any other way I guess have to be in a huge circle around BKK. Would probably take half a day more.

When your on the other side of the ferry crossing you have to ride up to R303 and then up to R35 and then westward to where you meet R4. Then you turn south and can relax....
After entering R4 southbond theres really not many alternatives along there until you are at Chumpon. (Theres a paralell road in the Cha Am-Hua Hin area but better to stay off that)
From Chumpon you can turn westwards on R4 and head towards Ranong. Then further via Khao Lak, Phang Nga down to Krabi and Ao Nang. Its longer than the alternative R41 and R44 but more enjoyable and much more to see imo.

Accomodation is nada problem to find along the way. And most of them have secure parking. I would not worry about that.

I just wonder if you gonna ride only 4 hours a day - what are you going to do the rest of the day?

View attachment 126189

Im not the best known rider through BKK but to get through there on a bike can be a bit tricky. I dont know if youre aware of that? The highway 7 from Pattaya towards BKK turns into a tollroad and motorbikes are not allowed on it from around Chonburi town. So you have to ride down to R3 and follow that. And when at the Chao Phraya River you have to take a ferry to cross it as bikes are not allowed to use bridges in and around BKK. (Actually your not going through BKK province going this way, youre going through all the Samut provinces, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon and Samut Songkhram)

Hello Dodraugen, thank you verry much ,verry helpfull information, we are not in a hurry, we are already 50 up, and therefore also regularly take a short stop, for a drink and to stretch our legs, so 4 to 5 hours a day may be enough for us, that's why we weld on the way also an overnight stay, if we leave early in the morning when the sun rises in pattaya then we have the intention to stop around 5 in the afternoon to look for a place to sleep, wonder how far we will get to the first day, thanks a lot and I wish you safe and fun rides, greatz Luc

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Hello Dodraugen, thank you verry much ,verry helpfull information, we are not in a hurry, we are already 50 up, and therefore also regularly take a short stop, for a drink and to stretch our legs, so 4 to 5 hours a day may be enough for us, that's why we weld on the way also an overnight stay, if we leave early in the morning when the sun rises in pattaya then we have the intention to stop around 5 in the afternoon to look for a place to sleep, wonder how far we will get to the first day, thanks a lot and I wish you safe and fun rides, greatz Luc

Ha-ha, sorry I didnt mean to be rude. If you start at around sunrise and stop for the day at around 5 pm you have most certainly ridden more than 4 hours. Anyhow - some stops for stretching your feet, drink some water and coffee etc, take some photos etc are great. Im not so good at it. When Im on the bike I usually ride to my goal for the day, if it takes 3 hours, 6 hours or 12 hours. No breaks except for fuel, toilet and maybe coffee. Its a bad habit I have. So keep yours!

As mentioned - the bit into the river crossing can be a bit tricky. Just be aware that you dont end up on the tollroads, because bikes are not allowed there.

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
B7378C1C-E472-49BE-B668-755D1B3586D2.png
My appologises!

I mentioned a ferry to cross the Chao Phraya river, but unfortunately my glimpse on the map was too quick. The ferry I mentioned above is afaik only a passenger ferry.
You have to go a little further north and find the motorbikeferry at Phra Pradaeng. That should be the correct ferry. Its approx 6-7 kms further up the Chao Phraya river. Phra Pradaeng is the ferry point....

Again - sorry for giving the wrong information. Here is where it is....

Luc

Nov 11, 2018
Ha-ha, sorry I didnt mean to be rude. If you start at around sunrise and stop for the day at around 5 pm you have most certainly ridden more than 4 hours. Anyhow - some stops for stretching your feet, drink some water and coffee etc, take some photos etc are great. Im not so good at it. When Im on the bike I usually ride to my goal for the day, if it takes 3 hours, 6 hours or 12 hours. No breaks except for fuel, toilet and maybe coffee. Its a bad habit I have. So keep yours!

As mentioned - the bit into the river crossing can be a bit tricky. Just be aware that you dont end up on the tollroads, because bikes are not allowed there.
View attachment 126617 My appologises!

I mentioned a ferry to cross the Chao Phraya river, but unfortunately my glimpse on the map was too quick. The ferry I mentioned above is afaik only a passenger ferry.
You have to go a little further north and find the motorbikeferry at Phra Pradaeng. That should be the correct ferry. Its approx 6-7 kms further up the Chao Phraya river. Phra Pradaeng is the ferry point....

Again - sorry for giving the wrong information. Here is where it is....

No problem my friend iam not gone yet, next month i gonna take the trip, so yr helfull information is in time
Thanks a lot, nice trips and safe rides