Great Custom Pannier Frame Done In Chiang Mai

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Total cost : 2500 baht (including painting the frames black).

Just had some pannier frames done at Daeng Korn Door
แดงกลอนประตู (มหิดล) https://www.google.com/…/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x30da306fb3e2da69…

I was recommended Daeng Korn Door by a few different sources, so I went along on Wednesday to have a discussion with the welders about the design. Seeing as I just needed something for a soft pannier option (and wanted something a bit more esthetically pleasing on the eye than a big square frame) I went with this design idea that I sourced online.

A.jpg

*Note* Best if you can speak Thai (or have a translator) for this place, but if not I am sure with images only you can get by. Just don't expect English to be spoken.

I showed the design and sent them images via Line App also, and was told to return on Thursday morning with my bike. (Also a rough template was made up using wire on this day too).

1.jpg

They were very patient with my requests.

2.jpg

Thursday: arrived early and was told to return at 3pm, which I did, but they were still working on it at that time. I noticed they had printed off one of my sent images as a reference, which I thought was great.

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

It was about 5pm when I could take the bike away, however, the panniers remained with them to be painted (black).

I was told they would send a LINE message when the frames were dry and ready to be fitted.

Friday: At 3pm I got the message that the frames were finished, so headed back to the shop for them to be fitted.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

9a.jpg

9c.jpg

9d.jpg

Very happy and the guys were great.

Some additional points:

1: They used an angle grinder next to my bike, so it's possible that some shards went into the bike (which can cause pitting and rusting). In hindsight I wish I had asked for the bike to be covered, or discuss about this. If you care about your bike, best to note and let them know. With my dtracker I am not too worried about it looking a bit beat up..but I did take it along to a bike wash to get any possible debris cleaned off. Fingers crossed...

4.jpg

2: The frames are not perfectly even. The left side is slightly longer than the right. Not such a big deal really, but not totally perfect. HOWEVER, in my original image examples it looks like the design (which they followed) IS longer on the left anyway.. so maybe this is for a reason??? Regardless, still happy!

10.jpg

3: I wanted the pieces in two separate parts, but there is no bar linking both pieces, creating a stronger framework. This may prove to be a bad idea as maybe will have the pieces shake/vibrate. Not sure yet. Also if I fall, it could bend inwards. Again, not sure, but I will carry with me a lever to pull the frame back into shape just in case.

9b.jpg

Thumbs up..and now will see how they hold up.. :)

Reactions: Moto-Rex

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Yes bars between the sides would probably be a good idea if you want to carry a bit of weight. If only light stuff I guess it isnt a problem.

Are this pannier frames made specifically for a certain model of soft panniers?

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
When making anything to be structurally solid, remember to triangulate - not just right angles. Much stronger.
Thing roll cages in racing cars.

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Yes bars between the sides would probably be a good idea if you want to carry a bit of weight. If only light stuff I guess it isnt a problem.

Are this pannier frames made specifically for a certain model of soft panniers?

No specific pannier bag in mind. I just wanted to direct heat away and still be left with a design that works with the bike, rather than a big ugly square piece of metal.
Mainly for my camping gear, so will likely tailor my own system to attach to the frames.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Looks like a good job.
That shop has been doing good work for decades. Over the years I've had exhausts & brackets made by them.
Some guys get crash bars, brackets & side boxes made. They are generally good.

Now you got me interested - who made the rack for your top box set up?
8-jpg.jpg

9d-jpg.jpg

My temporary black plonker could do with something to carry luggage
DSC_0071.JPG
DSC_0072.JPG

ZCM

Subscribed
Jun 23, 2011
cm
Now you got me interested - who made the rack for your top box set up?

Hey David. There was already a frame on the bike when I bought it 2nd hand.
So not sure where that came from, sorry.
It had no top box, just the frame.
I took the bike to Sutee at Helmet 2 Home and chose the box I wanted, then he fitted the base into the frame.
He had a bit of a fiddly job and I remember near fainting when he pulled out a hammer!..but was all ok in the end.
Sorry to not be of much use on that one :/