Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

Aug 9, 2012

Thanks where can I get one ?

DKT Dave

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 25, 2019
I have been using one of these for the last 18 months. I pulled it out for the first time 2 days ago to have a look what it had caught. Nothing whatsoever. No water, no particulate matter, nothing. I have used fuel from most sources over that time and have come to the conclusion the filter, whilst sound in principle, is not needed here in Thailand. Filling up with the filter installed is a real pain as they cause the bowser to cut off due to the restricted flow. Mine won’t be going back in.

I’m sure there are locations on earth where these would be worth their weight in gold....Thailand isn’t one of those!

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Jul 16, 2019
I have been using one of these for the last 18 months. I pulled it out for the first time 2 days ago to have a look what it had caught. Nothing whatsoever. No water, no particulate matter, nothing. I have used fuel from most sources over that time and have come to the conclusion the filter, whilst sound in principle, is not needed here in Thailand. Filling up with the filter installed is a real pain as they cause the bowser to cut off due to the restricted flow. Mine won’t be going back in.

I’m sure there are locations on earth where these would be worth their weight in gold....Thailand isn’t one of those!
I have one, which is currently sitting back in Australia. Not needed in Thailand / Laos, but it will be coming over here to Angola. Photo’s of 1’’ of dark brown porridge from the fuel pump of another rider’s experience at a standard fuel station were horrifying. I just did a ride down to the South of Angola on my KTM EXC-F, and fuel availability determined how far South I could get (9L in the tank and 5L on my back). Most of the fuel stations claim they have no gasolina. One I had a policeman order the attendant to fire up the pump.
I’d be less concerned with a carby, but (KTM) fuel injection is more sensitive / temperamental.
Agreed on the pain in the arse that it is to fill with a filter sock in place.

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I had one in an earlier VStrom for a year I think. Just like Dave DKT, never really saw anything significant trapped in the filter. PTT fuel rocks IMHO, or most name Thai gas stations - Shell, Caltex, Esso.

Reactions: Eoin Christie