Ha Giang Loop via Dong Van and Ma Pi Leng Pass

Jan 14, 2015
Hi guys,

during my recent year-long trip across Southeast Asia, I also traveled Vietname for a month. My biggest highlight by far was the motorbike tour up in Ha Giang. Not even too far from Sapa, this region is still fairly unspoilt by tourism which made riding so special. Scenery wise, it was some of the best and most impressive I have seen in all of SEA.

If you can, try to make it to Dong Can for the weekly market. It's just fantastic with all the hilltribes flocking down from their villages, offering their produce or shopping for supplies. It's so colorful and there will be hardly any (Western) tourists around.
Exploring Vietnam’s final frontier. A roadtrip through Ha Giang Province.

The trip took me three days starting and finishing in Ha Giang, which you can easily reach from Hanoi. The region is changing quickly as Vietnam wants to transform it into a main tourist attraction. So I gues snow is the time to visit.

Exploring Vietnam’s final frontier. A roadtrip through Ha Giang Province

I wrote a comprehensive article with tips and loads of photos on my blog. If you guys are interested, have a look. Honestly, I have done quite a bit of riding in almost every country I visited, but this trip was the best.

Cheers and happy travels,

Philipp

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Philipp,

Reading your blog overlooking the wonders of Bora Bora's lagoon, itself one of nature's great achievements, I have to agree on the beauty of the area through which you travelled. I have often written on this forum of the sensational riding in VN asking myself (& readers) why there are not more, far more following your steps? Once again for those who miss it - VN is SENSATIONAL!

Your blog has excellent accompanying photos to gives viewers a taste of what lies ahead. There are threads on this forum wherein contributors have sought too find a time when one can ride with clear skies through this most beautiful area. You certainly found a good slot in the weather pattern - what month were you there?

I see you've made a number of recent posts covering Laos as well as VN. I'm certainly looking forward to your posting on your next rides through Laos & VN.

Safe riding.

Jan 14, 2015
Hi Rod, Bora Bora is not a bad place to be right now. Whereabouts in Vietnam have you been then and which was your favorite? I personally think that North is probably the best and I really wish I would have had more time. I basically just scratched the surface and I am sure there is so much to see. Would like to drive towards Dien Bien Phu and also east Ha Giang. I did some riding up in Dalat which was also nice but only a day tour. The the ride from Hue to Hoi An via Danang. Also really nice and really enjoyed Danang I have to say. Much more lively and authentic than Hoi An and there is surf ;).

OK Rod, thanks for your feedback. Do you live in Bora these days?