Harald from Germany

hd-biker1960

Jan 5, 2022
Hallo, I am Harald 61 years old I was often in Thailand, rent a bike in Chiang Mai and ride round whole Thailand...beautiful,
but now I plan a special tour, I want to ride from Germany to Australia,
also crossing China from Mongolia to Laos, my bike is registered in Germany,
does anyone know is it possible with an foreign vehicle cross the border from Laos to Thailand, stay may be for 30 days in Thailand and
leave with same bike to Malaysia?
Hope somebody from GT-Riders have a idea or answer? I just plan my tour now, I want to start in spring 2023,
because now the situation about covid is to bad, to much rules, so I hope later everything go back to normal, I will be happy about any information, thank`s a lot
Greetings from Germany
Harald

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Jul 16, 2019
Hi, Harald.
Land border crossings are very difficult now (Thai - Laos and Thai - Malaysia borders are closed), but it is very good that you are planning, as these situations are likely (in my opinion) to change.
What is the route you are thinking of?
Cheers, Eoin

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Crossing China pre-covid was possible but it was quite a lot of paperwork needed and you need an official recognised chinese guide to accompany you along the route all days and all hotels need to booked in advance. Of course if you get a guide he will take care of all paperwork, you just forward all documents to him.
All this need to be done at least 3 months in advance and it is not cheap!
Travellers often form groups to share the expenses of a guide and all the permits needed - or you can start a group and get others to join up. And you also need to be at the border at the exact day your guide have made the permit for. One day late - and you will have to start the 3 month process again.

I have ridden through China so I know quite a bit about this… (in 2014 it was)

If Im allowed in here I recommend you to join the Horizons Unlimited forum - its an huge international forum for overland travellers, mainly motorbikes. There is a lot of information there and if you register you can ask questions and join in in discussions.

There is also a Facebook group for overlanding China: Log into Facebook

Also - this guide nonsense was introduced in Thailand in 2016 - aka you need a guide and permits to enter Thailand on a foreign plated motorbike (except Laos, Malaysia and Singapore plated bikes)
However its wasnt enforced 100 % precovid. How it will be post covid is difficult to say.

There are Facebook groups for overlanding/crossing just about every country in Asia. Just search it out….

I can also recommend the Caravanistan.com for the countries of central Asia. Lots of information there too…

Last edited:

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Another option could be to ride through Turkey-Iran-Pakistan-India and Myanmar (if Myanmar opens its borders after last years military takeover?)
It will for sure be cheaper and less hassle. Although through Myanmar also an approved guide is mandatory - but a lot cheaper than China.

There are other obstacles on the trip from Europe to Australia, but they are all possible to sort out.
Check out the document Carnet - which is a kind of passport for your bike that are mandatory in some countries for foreign vehicles to enter.

Also there is no vehicle ferry between Malaysia and Indonesia and Mr Lims onion boat that most overlanders including myself used to ship our bikes from Penang (Malaysia) to Belawan/Medan (Indonesia) has ceased operating. But there are other possibilities nowadays….

Also from East Timor to Darwin you will need to ship your bike and there are limited options and only a ship pr month - but again it is possible!

Feel free to pm me if you like…

Reactions: Eoin Christie

hd-biker1960

Jan 5, 2022
Hi, Harald.
Land border crossings are very difficult now (Thai - Laos and Thai - Malaysia borders are closed), but it is very good that you are planning, as these situations are likely (in my opinion) to change.
What is the route you are thinking of?
Cheers, Eoin
Hi Eoin, it does`t matter where I cross theo border from Laos to Thailand, after I am in Thailand I want ride to Malaysia I plan to visit friends in Prachuap and also in Khao lak, that´s the only planed stops, I plan to stay not more then 30 days in Thailand, but I read many stories about new rules, one guy write, after border crossing you can not go on your own wheels, you have to load your bike on a truck which bring you to the next border??? I can not believe that.
Ohter people write you can only ride in Thailand with a foreign bike when you use a guide?? so do you know what rules you have follow with a foreign bike to cross the thai border and ride for max. 30 days before you leave??
will be happy when you can tell me sometzhing about that?
cheers Harald

Reactions: Eoin Christie

Eoin Christie

Ol'Timer
Jul 16, 2019
Hi, Harald.
There are requirements for guides when riding a foreign-registered bike in Thailand, but I don’t know of that ever having been enforced.
To the best of my knowledge, the land border between Thailand and Malaysia is still closed, except for commercial shipments (happy to be updated if this has changed). There are still quarantine requirements entering Malaysia - I’m heading back there next week, and shall apply to quarantine at home with an electronic bracelet.

hd-biker1960

Jan 5, 2022
Another option could be to ride through Turkey-Iran-Pakistan-India and Myanmar (if Myanmar opens its borders after last years military takeover?)
It will for sure be cheaper and less hassle. Although through Myanmar also an approved guide is mandatory - but a lot cheaper than China.

There are other obstacles on the trip from Europe to Australia, but they are all possible to sort out.
Check out the document Carnet - which is a kind of passport for your bike that are mandatory in some countries for foreign vehicles to enter.

Also there is no vehicle ferry between Malaysia and Indonesia and Mr Lims onion boat that most overlanders including myself used to ship our bikes from Penang (Malaysia) to Belawan/Medan (Indonesia) has ceased operating. But there are other possibilities nowadays….

Also from East Timor to Darwin you will need to ship your bike and there are limited options and only a ship pr month - but again it is possible!

Feel free to pm me if you like…
Hi, it seems you have a lot of knowledge as a ovelander, I know it is not easy to plan a trip like mine, espesially in this time, but it must go back to normal...sometime? I hope next year it is more easy, for my planning it is important to know which way can be possible?? it helps me to know how it was before covid, do you know is it possible do cross the border to Thaliand without a guide with my bike which is registered in germany ?

I want send you a PM but i do not know how it works?? I can not find any button??

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
It is unclear what the requirements for entry into Thailand with a foreign registered motorbike will be, once the borders open & get back to "normal."
The original restrictions to go via a tour company were put in place to limit the hundreds of Chinese vehicles coming.
So I would think they have to see if that mass Chinese motor vehicle tourism becomes an issue again first, then set a policy.
If we are lucky it could go back to the good ol days, of "open borders" with a temporary import available on arrival' but it is anyone's guess what will happen.

Last edited:

hd-biker1960

Jan 5, 2022
Thanks a lot David, so we hope good ol days coming back soon, do you think we have a chnace that this happens next year?? Or is this wishful thinking unrealistic??
I know none of us are clairvoyant...but i know you have a lot of experience with thailand and maybe you can judge it??? thank`s again
cheers
Harald

Povl

Dec 11, 2013
Denmark
Hallo, I am Harald 61 years old I was often in Thailand, rent a bike in Chiang Mai and ride round whole Thailand...beautiful,
but now I plan a special tour, I want to ride from Germany to Australia,
also crossing China from Mongolia to Laos, my bike is registered in Germany,
does anyone know is it possible with an foreign vehicle cross the border from Laos to Thailand, stay may be for 30 days in Thailand and
leave with same bike to Malaysia?
Hope somebody from GT-Riders have a idea or answer? I just plan my tour now, I want to start in spring 2023,
because now the situation about covid is to bad, to much rules, so I hope later everything go back to normal, I will be happy about any information, thank`s a lot
Greetings from Germany
Harald
Hi harald!
Its a great idea.
But from Europe to Mongolia, you have a lot af borring km. ( Dep. off the route)
+ no CPD.
In my op. its a mutch more interessant rute, south of the hills : Turkie, iran, pakistan, and now the border become diff. : India ( evt Nepal) Myanmar, and go on. But Carnet is needed.
China, I think is on of the last to open border, by land.
I would like to ride somthing similar.
Best Regards
Povl
( only speaking Danish)

Dodraugen

Subscribed
Aug 19, 2012
Lampang
Hi, it seems you have a lot of knowledge as a ovelander, I know it is not easy to plan a trip like mine, espesially in this time, but it must go back to normal...sometime? I hope next year it is more easy, for my planning it is important to know which way can be possible?? it helps me to know how it was before covid, do you know is it possible do cross the border to Thaliand without a guide with my bike which is registered in germany ?

I want send you a PM but i do not know how it works?? I can not find any button??
I have sent you a pm…