Hello From Usa

Ignacio

Mar 2, 2017
Tri-Cities, WA
Long-time motorcycle rider including finishing multiple Iron Butt Rallies....and now pondering the excitement and challenge of exploring southeast Asia on two wheels, boat, bus, foot, air, and/or any other mode to experience fascinating cultures and destinations.

I'm working on a plan that hopefully in 3 years (or maybe as early as 1 year) I'll be able to travel for two full years without a pesky day job to interfere. Figuring as 50 approaches I should do this before retirement.

Research phase now and have already found this forum invaluable in adjusting myself from my current big bikes on relatively unfettered rural roads of the American west via 160hp cruise missile FJR including fuel cell and 650 thumper adventure bike on back roads. I'm sure I'll be able to I'll be able to do something rented or purchased of smaller displacement for the task.

My initial idea is maybe landing in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to experience those countries, wander up to Thailand, find a bike to purchase that I could ride in other countries (yes, I've seen a great thread on the subject already), and then wander through Cambodia, Laos, linger in Vietnam, and decide what next as I get to Hanoi. Should I go right and wander China or take a left and go explore Myanmar and other points west?

It's sort of rhetorical at this point...my bigger plan includes Phillipines, Japan, South America, Africa, and Europe as well.

Thanks for having me!
Matt

MWK03993c.jpg

20130928-124047.jpg

Attachments

• MWK03993c.jpg
    MWK03993c.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 20130928-124047.jpg
    20130928-124047.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

Ignacio

Mar 2, 2017
Tri-Cities, WA
Just checking in again and I've firmed up my plans at this point to arriving in Thailand in January 2020, spend a month here traveling via public transportation and renting a scooter or bike locally wherever I land for a day or two, migrating to Cambodia in February, and then Vietnam in March.

There's where I plan to rent an XR150 from an expat operation in Saigon and then properly ride the country. I learned in various videos that cheaping out and buying a Chinese toy ISN'T the way to go....get at least a real bike.

I would then head south and touch the ocean at Đất Mũi, and then doing a slow 2-3 month roll north until I am able to take a picture of a Chinese flag across a border crossing somewhere. Squeeze Then work back to Hanoi and think about the next part of my journey across Laos and back to Thailand to meet up with the GF for a month in June. She's not a rider herself so it's then back to public transportation options.

I figure back pack mode and live out of combination 55 liter unit I can haul through airports, buses, trains, and strap to a rental bike. About 18 months until I go and I'm even more excited than I was a year ago.