Honda CB500F .... oil level

Nov 21, 2010
It would have been great if the previous post was the end of the "oil consuming CB500F" story. But it is not!
After that the Cylinder-Head-Cover was replaced I made a 2 day trip covering about 750 km, with a average highway speed of 100 km/h and once a short blast to 140 km/h While starting my second day I could already see that the oil-level had gone down. Coming home I could see that the oil-level was just barely above minimum. I would guess I had lost about 400 - 500 cc of engine oil in a 750 km trip. Bloody hell, if I want to ride to Chiang Mai I will have to take a can of oil with me.

So it is officially now! Honda Big Wing Udon Thani has bought back my Honda CB500F. A engine that was consuming about 500 cc of oil in 750 km was not acceptable to me. Although AP Honda Thailand says it is normal. And that even after replacing the Cylinder-Head-Cover. To me it seems not a assembly error or out-of-specification production. To me it seems a design flaw in the emission control system, as I have spoken to at least 3 other riders of a CB500F/X and all needed to top-up the engine oil. The amount of needed top-up may vary on the bike and riding style, but it is my impression that probably all CB500F/X motorbikes are consuming oil in a not normal way. Motorbike-less again ... what to buy now?

In the next few days I will set-up a page with full report (with photos) about this problem to warn others for what I consider to be a "faulty product" of AP Honda Thailand.

Dec 27, 2007
Changnoi1;296725 wrote: A engine that was consuming about 500 cc of oil in 750 km was not acceptable to me. Although AP Honda Thailand says it is normal.
Very sorry to hear they were not able to identify or fix the problem. How ridiculous for them to tell you that that kind of oil consumption is normal on a nearly new engine. :crazy:

Oct 17, 2006
I have been in contact with Changnoi and he is not alone in his issues with the honda CB 500 , i know of a few people in pattaya with similar issues, sprocket leaks, over pressuring of crankcase and more and also a big UK dealer told me he has seen similar problems on a few CB500s especially oil loss caused by crankcase over pressure probably blowiing seals but Honda UK are also staying very quiet about it .

I am back in Uk next week and will go and speak to some trade pals to try and find out more .

Nov 21, 2010
Interesting MonsterMan about the blowing og seals .... as far as I have seen the problem is indeed at the Cylinder-head-Cover. Well at least "near" it. So it could be the Cylinder-Head itself, the gasket / seal or the Cylinder-Head-Cover. When they replaced mine CHC the mechanic wanted to use the old gasket / seal but was he was instructed to use a new one. Maybe over-pressure damages the gasket/seal? In that case you can replace what you want but the problem will come back ... after riding at a little bit higher RPM. That could maybe also be a reason why some people do not have a problem with it. Or not a big problem with it.

BTW The sprocket leak is a know problem (at least the dealer in Udon knew about it) and "easy" to fix ... but it is one more on the list of known problems of the CB500's.

BTW Just having a look at the Ducati Monster 795 ... actually a very nice bike but a bit expensive!

Apr 23, 2006
Being slightly interested in a CB500X - I've been following all this closely. Very unHonda like! I've had 5 new Hondas, 1971 - new CD175 & CB250. 1975 CB500-4. 1979 - K750KZ (then followed some years with a Yamaha & 2 Triumph Trophies) 2002 - Honda STX1300 Pan European. NONE of these Hondas ever required a top up in between servicing, which is why I find it very strange that Honda are saying the oil consumption of these new '500's is acceptable! Will wait & see how many others report their problems on biking sites.

Jul 8, 2011
David Learmonth;296763 wrote: Being slightly interested in a CB500X - I've been following all this closely. Very unHonda like! I've had 5 new Hondas, 1971 - new CD175 & CB250. 1975 CB500-4. 1979 - K750KZ (then followed some years with a Yamaha & 2 Triumph Trophies) 2002 - Honda STX1300 Pan European. NONE of these Hondas ever required a top up in between servicing, which is why I find it very strange that Honda are saying the oil consumption of these new '500's is acceptable! Will wait & see how many others report their problems on biking sites.
A friend of mine bought a CB500X mid December 2013. He had his 1000 KM service done 2 weeks later. Today he has 8000KM on the odo and the bike performs flawless and didn't use a drop of oil.

He is very pleased with it.

Nov 21, 2010
I think that all Honda bikes you are talking about are not made in Thailand (as far as I am aware of). My first motorbike was a Honda CB400F and I did ride for many years a Honda Sonice 125 (made in Thailand). All without any problems.

And until the 4300 km riding I had no problem and if I would not have checked the oil level I might have been riding until the next service check and oil replacement. Nicky, Is your friends model of the "new" model that does not need the 1000km valve-check?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
So What Bike are You going to Buy Now to replace Your 500? New Honda 650? Suzuki V-Strom would be a Good Choice?

Changnoi1;296725 wrote: It would have been great if the previous post was the end of the "oil consuming CB500F" story. But it is not!
After that the Cylinder-Head-Cover was replaced I made a 2 day trip covering about 750 km, with a average highway speed of 100 km/h and once a short blast to 140 km/h While starting my second day I could already see that the oil-level had gone down. Coming home I could see that the oil-level was just barely above minimum. I would guess I had lost about 400 - 500 cc of engine oil in a 750 km trip. Bloody hell, if I want to ride to Chiang Mai I will have to take a can of oil with me.

So it is officially now! Honda Big Wing Udon Thani has bought back my Honda CB500F. A engine that was consuming about 500 cc of oil in 750 km was not acceptable to me. Although AP Honda Thailand says it is normal. And that even after replacing the Cylinder-Head-Cover. To me it seems not a assembly error or out-of-specification production. To me it seems a design flaw in the emission control system, as I have spoken to at least 3 other riders of a CB500F/X and all needed to top-up the engine oil. The amount of needed top-up may vary on the bike and riding style, but it is my impression that probably all CB500F/X motorbikes are consuming oil in a not normal way. Motorbike-less again ... what to buy now?

In the next few days I will set-up a page with full report (with photos) about this problem to warn others for what I consider to be a "faulty product" of AP Honda Thailand.

Nov 21, 2010
Well as far as I know the new Honda 650 has the same design engine so NO WAY! On older and proven model of Honda would be OK.

V-Strom is too heavy and big for my short legs ... but nice bike. They should make a 400 of it (also good for the Japanese market).

The Ducati Monster 795 is a lovely little bike but a bit expensive.

I like the Kawasaki Z250 (and you can always change the shitty DID chain) but it all feels a bit minimal (but is also cheap).

Suzuki is selling the VanVan now in Thailand, but in Japan it is only 200cc and here worse at 125cc. Funny bike.

Other suggestions?

Oct 17, 2006
Eddie told me yesterday that his CB500 seems to use too much oil ???, and spoke to 2 thai CB500 owners at pattaya bike show who told me they were having many problems , using a lot of oil,, blown seals on Gearbox, one guy had cylinder head replaced twice by Mityon ,they think the bikes are crap and wish they had bought Versys or ER6 ,

news Honda have also delayed production of CB250 replacement the new CB300 due to design and quality issues at Thai factory ,

My fiend John has had similar problems with CB500 and Honda UK are being very unhelpful apparently he has now sued Honda in consumer small claims court and he is very angry he bought the bike as a commuter but after 3800 miles its so far had a new cylinder head and its used 6 litres of oil and its still in dealers workshop .Other people have mentioned on various UK forums about heavy oil consumption of these bikes and that Honda consider it acceptable !!!!!

Dec 27, 2007
Changnoi1;296791 wrote: Well as far as I know the new Honda 650 has the same design engine so NO WAY! On older and proven model of Honda would be OK.
For what it's worth the new Honda 650 is an inline 4, totally different engine than the CB500 series..who know, maybe it will be a quality bike. I imagine you probably don't want to be the guinea pig tho after your terrible experience with the CB500 and AP Honda.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Changnoi1, The V-Strom wouldn't be much different in weight to the 500? Lowering kits are avalible! If You want to do Touring and Long distance You really need a decent sized Bike? A 125 just won't cut it I am afraid! Oh and by the way the 125 Van Van is in a shop here for 104.900 Baht. Seems quite a lot for a 125?

Dec 27, 2007
Ivo's CB500F weighed 192kg and had a seat height of 790mm

The Versys 650 which he said was too tall and heavy weighs 205kg and has a seat height of 845mm

The V-strom 650 weighs 220kg and has a seat height of 835mm

I really don't think the V-strom would be a good choice for him. In my humble opinion heneeds something a lot lighter and with a much lower seat height.

Nov 21, 2010
Oops this had nothing to do with the thread but alai-ke-dai.

Yes Tony you are right and lighter and lower seat height.
The CB500F did actually feel amazing light, probably because of the low gravity center? That is why I liked the bike so much until .....

The Kawasaki Z250 is 168kg and 785mm seat height and 33hp (although the last to numbers vary per web-site where you look for specifications)
I like this bike but there are also some things I do not like, but it costs only 150k

The Ducati Monster 795 is 188kg, 770mm seat height and 85hp? (I really have to rent one to test ride it)
Very nice bike, would buy right now if it was not 400k

And if a Dtracker would not be about 70mm too high I would consider that as bike to play a bit off the main road.

Jul 8, 2011
Changnoi1;296765 wrote: I think that all Honda bikes you are talking about are not made in Thailand (as far as I am aware of). My first motorbike was a Honda CB400F and I did ride for many years a Honda Sonice 125 (made in Thailand). All without any problems.

And until the 4300 km riding I had no problem and if I would not have checked the oil level I might have been riding until the next service check and oil replacement. Nicky, Is your friends model of the "new" model that does not need the 1000km valve-check?
Good point. The service was done end of Dec 13 at Honda Pattaya (bought in Bkk). They didn't do the valve clearance.

Nov 6, 2012
sorry for the OP here but i had one of the first cbr500r from bigwing and mine was not losing oil so do my buddies bikes that time.
it looks like yours is a problem happening one in ten thousand which is normal.
and if bigwing bought the bike from you and changed the head and send mechs to your house for picking it up before, send a mechanic from Bangkok, i believe, it is not bad service too! unless if you are looking 100 percent communicative service like in our countries but sure you will not be finding it in Thailand.

Nov 21, 2010
Had a bad thought and was thinking about the shit from Honda Big Wing ..... did some searching again and guess what I found ...

"Honda has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2013 model year Honda CB500F/CB500X/CBR500R motorcycles. There is a possibility that one of the bolts used in the assembly of the engine may not have received the proper anti-corrosion treatment, which could allow the bolts to loosen during operation. A bolt that loosens or falls out during operation can cause an oil leak, a reduction in engine power or an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash."

From an official Honda web-site ... this is not about the rocker-shaft .... now I will have to find out if this "defect" was indeed the defect I had with my CB500F.

P.s. Loserlazer .... Remember ... I (as in Me, Myself and I) LOST about 45.000 Thai baht because AP Honda Thailand did manufactured a shit engine. Both AP Honda Thailand or Honda Big Wing did not give a hoot about my financial lost.