Honda CBR 250r

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I'd like to get it - I enjoyed my VTR250, and even though the new CB250 is heavier and has less power it looks better, is cheaper and - is legal.
If they really sell it for only 100,000 (without ABS) I'd take it over the Ninja which is too much of a sport bike.
But to be honest all I can afford these days is a Hoda Wave 125i which performs way better than my old Wave 110 and even uses less gas! The carbed 110 took on average 1.9L per 100km, the 125i only 1.7L.
Lost money in these economically hard times but manage to survive.
There were times when I had up to seven bikes in my garage, from 650cc all the way to 1400cc; now I'm having fun on my 125.
Life is an up and down but happiness doesn't depend on how many toys you have.
At least I keep telling myself that since I can't even afford a CB250...! :(

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Just read that the official price in the US for the standard version will be $3999 and ABS version will be $4,499.

Don't know if this is a good price or what kind of bike you get for this kind of money in the US these days.

Mar 11, 2008
I just cant see why all little bikes need to be sportbike clones.. If it was a hornet 250 maybe but faux sportbikes with about the same power as a hotted up old 2 stroke just isnt tickling my fancy..

Now if the KTM Duke 200 rumors turn out to be true (seen those I presume ??).. That would make a great popping round town bike for me.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I know what you mean - at least the Ninja tries to be a sportbike!

Nothing wrong with a potent 250 single (better than Kawasaki's singles!) but why in CBR (dis)guise?

Also, the VTR250 is a proven design which sells like hot cakes in Japan; they just gave it a once-over and upgraded it to FI - why did Honda have to develop a whole new bike? Maybe they're thinking ten years ahead.

I'd be more than happy with the VTR!

Dec 27, 2007
Agree with both of you LivinLOS and KZ,
Why put sport bike fairings on a 250cc thumper and call it a CBR?
The only reason I can think of is marketing.
Just like the way Kawasaki calls the ER6f a "Ninja 650R" in some markets.
Sorry, but the ER6f is no more a Ninja than the new Honda 250cc single is a CBR. The ZX6R is a REAL Ninja and the old CBR250RR was a REAL CBR.
The CBR name and flashy fairings on this new bike are marketing aimed directly at the guys who are going to buy this bike- young inexperienced guys who want the LOOK of a sportbike even if it isn't a sportbike.
Those of us with a few more miles under our belts know better, but we're not the guys who are going to be buying this new Honda "CBR" 250. We'd be more interested in a more "real" and "what you see is what you get" bike like the VTR 250.
(And no disrespect to the Kawasaki "Ninja" 650"R" but if I was back in the real world I'd have never considered a Ninja 650R. Back in the US there are so many other bikes in the same price range that will kick it's butt. But here in Thailand it's an unbeatable value- hands down the cheapest 100% legal "big bike" in the Kingdom.
Ride On!
Tony

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Honda should have built something like the SACHS X-Road 250 which now probably will not be sold here because of the CBR250.
Sexy frame, soft suspension, low weight, clean design, cool underseat exhaust, this bike is perfect with a single cylinder.
Too bad we won't see it, it wouldn't stand a chance against mighty Honda!
Minerva_X-Road_125cc.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
KZ wrote: Honda should have built something like the SACHS X-Road 250 which now probably will not be sold here because of the CBR250.
Sexy frame, soft suspension, low weight, clean design, cool underseat exhaust, this bike is perfect with a single cylinder.
Minerva_X-Road_125cc.jpg
I'm still hoping it will come to Thailand as I'd take a what you see is what you get X-Road 250 over a cleverly disguised wanna be "CBR" 250 any day. :happy5:

Nov 7, 2007
KZ wrote: Honda should have built something like the SACHS X-Road 250 which now probably will not be sold here because of the CBR250.
Minerva_X-Road_125cc.jpg
Excuse me??? How did you come up with this ? Xroad 250 "Probably not coming" & "too bad we won't see it".
If it is just guessing than i need to disappoint you...it is wrong !
The Sachs X-Road 250 is coming ! Later than planned but 2011 it will be available...personal guess is within the first 2 quarters.

mbox

Nov 7, 2007
KZ wrote: Your guess is as good as mine! ;-)
You guessed that the x-road is not coming and i know it is coming...my guess was only the actual time of availability.

Those who are on the X-road mailing list ,as mentioned on Tiger/Sachs section of this forum, will get informed instantly of the availability.

happy trails,

mbox

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
It's about a year ago that the X-Road was undergoing emission tests and was expected to be on sale in the first quarter of this year.
Now with a Honda out which features a 250 single and the same price it would be a major mistake for Sachs to make it available.
The resulting poor sales numbers would reflect badly not only on the X-Road but on all Sachs products, something a new-comer can not afford.
It would make more sense to drop the model and develop something that doesn't compete with the market leader. Any 250 single will have a hard time when mighty Honda offers one, especially if it's for a good price.
Yamaha offers a nice watercooled YZF150 in India but wouldn't introduce it here because the CBR150 covers that segment. As an almost unknown brand you'd stand no chance.
As much as I'd like to see the X-Road on thai streets I don't believe in it.
Would be nice if I'm wrong!

Nov 7, 2007
KZ wrote: It's about a year ago that the X-Road was undergoing emission tests and was expected to be on sale in the first quarter of this year.
Now with a Honda out which features a 250 single and the same price it would be a major mistake for Sachs to make it available.
The resulting poor sales numbers would reflect badly not only on the X-Road but on all Sachs products, something a new-comer can not afford.
It would make more sense to drop the model and develop something that doesn't compete with the market leader. Any 250 single will have a hard time when mighty Honda offers one, especially if it's for a good price.
Yamaha offers a nice watercooled YZF150 in India but wouldn't introduce it here because the CBR150 covers that segment. As an almost unknown brand you'd stand no chance.
As much as I'd like to see the X-Road on thai streets I don't believe in it.
Would be nice if I'm wrong!

KZ,

Well guessing for something not to come just because it is delayed is a bit exaggerated IMO.

Since the new Cbr's are introduced & the cbr150R available i can see sales on the Tiger Boxer 250 RS increasing quite bit (about 3 times more as usual, to my own surprise) .
It is what i believe a missed opportunity from Honda bringing out 2 x sport'ish bikes but to date no naked bikes available from them. The only affordable naked bike is the ER6N ...

The X-road 250 will find its buyers here...i am likely one of them :) And seeing that the mailing list has grown quite large i am certain many of those will have it too.

Tiger & Sachs Bikes are in Thailands niche market, they seem to aim for this Market and am certain they do well for being in the niche market. I think the bikes offered from them are for those that wish something different , which is what they offer.

mbox

Aug 5, 2007
A CBR 250CC for 100,000 baht (non-abs) 115,000 baht with abs ..... all that has to be said is thats great for the bike market in Thailand. Its just a shame we are seeing the demise of the carb and the ability to easily increase the performance of a bike. The Fuel injection systems we are seeing on all the new bikes, drive towards greater fuel economy and 'Green Ideas' whilst the bikes themselves are left underpowered and unresponsive. :take-that:

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I just bought my first Honda with fuel injection and can't complain - the bike runs great and uses less gas than my old one.
And talking about easy power increase, what's easier than plugging in a "Power Commander", something of which we will see a lot in the future.
The CB250 will sell well and lots of people will be willing to shell out some money for a simple way to make the bike go faster.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I've read a few posts on other forums concerning the new CB"R"250R; lots of criticism, people don't like the looks, it has not enough power, it's too heavy, it can't compete with the Ninja250. But in other countries there are quite a few interesting 250cc bikes available, people can choose, and also get lots of new models every year. That spoils you and makes it easy to dismiss a bike before it's even on the sales floor.
We here in the Land Of Smiles are happy to see a new 250 and will buy it because there's not much of a choice. Also it doesn't look quite so bad if it's the only bike available, and a decent price let's you forget about the power to weight ratio.
I've read that in some european countries they have a 250cc/33hp limit for beginners which can be "changed" after a couple of years of riding experience. It's then legal to "open it up". That got me thinking: Why doesn't Honda offer the CBR250R in two versions, one with around 22 horses for beginners and a 33hp version for those who like a 250that performs? Just a different electronic chip should do. Then beginners could learn to ride on a tamer bike and upgrade when they feel like it while the "RR" version would actually compete with the Ninja250 - thus attracting more buyers. With 26 horses it's neither here nor there.
Why leave it to Dynojet to sell zillions of Power Commanders?

Mar 11, 2008
You think your going to get a 50% horse power jump from rechipping ??

I would say if it was that easy Honda would be doing it.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
If Kawaski can do it with the 250 singles I'm sure Honda can do it!

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Well Kawasaki knows how to restrict a 250cc single to 22hp. Getting one to make 33hp may take more than just a power commander. Make it a 26hp version for the beginners and a 30hp version for the "RR" version, I'm sure people would pay a bit more for it. I like the idea of being able to choose.

Mar 11, 2008
My kinda feeling, with both the 150 and 250 CBR's.. Is why does the whole world want to be RR styled sportbikes.. I have a similar grudge when reading uk bike mags, everythings super sports and the whole media influence seems to be your supposed to desire to pass your CBT, do your restricted time, step up via 600 sports to literbikes.. Now dont get me wrong, I have all the respect in the world for someone that can hoon one of these uncomfortable things around, rear wheel steering it and using it like it was intended.. But I aint one of them, and I tend to think not that many bikers really are either, yet they get 80% of the mag space and mag writers tend to discount or even knock more useable or all round bikes. Look at the cult following of the old SV650 yet look at the way bike mags talk about any mid size cc or upright (adequate 'begginers' bike.. Suitable for female riders.. Etc etc)..

When it comes to the 150 and 250 CBR's.. Why not a 'hornet' version ?? A modern 150 or 250 mini upright ?? Look at the online buzz when concept art for a modern RD350 was leaked.. I could do with a 'popping into town' bike, and would seriously look at one even if it was a bit underpowered if it fit that upright urban bias (I really am digging these KTM 200 duke rumors) but cant see myself buying a faux sportbike even if it does come at a good price and honda engineering.

/me puts soapbox away.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Got this in my inbox this morning c/o Rider Magazine:

First Ride: 2011 Honda CBR250R

Posted: 16 Dec 2010 10:40 AM PST
New riders looking to get a small, sporty motorcycle that is low cost, lightweight, maneuverable, and easy-to-ride (but not a cruiser) only have a few choices among new machines. One of them is the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Team Green’s perennially best-selling motorcycle. In fact the little Ninjette has proven to be a beginner bike favorite for more than 20 years. Now Big Red wants a slice of that pie with the new 2011 Honda CBR250R. And boy, what a slice it is. Wrapped in styling reminiscent of its larger VFR1200F sibling, in contrast to the twin-cylinder Kawasaki, the CBR’s 249cc engine has just a single cylinder with a gear-driven counterbalancer. It's also paired with dual overhead camshafts and liquid-cooling, but adds electronic fuel injection instead of breathing with carbs like the Ninja.

In a Honda first, the forked roller rocker arms can be moved aside to swap valve adjustment shims rather than having to remove the cams. Asked why Honda chose this layout over the Kawasaki’s parallel twin design, our Honda rep stated the main reason was to save weight. He wasn’t kidding, either--sitting on the bike feels like sitting on a bicycle. At 357 pounds claimed without ABS (add nine pounds), it’s 18 pounds lighter than the Ninja 250. Combine that with the CBR's 30.5-inch seat height, and the smallest sportbike in Honda’s U.S. lineup is as intimidating as a teddy bear for even the smallest of riders. We were fortunate to be joined by a female journalist on our ride who stands at 5-feet, 2-inches, and she reported complete ease in maneuvering the bike to and fro. Flat-footing at stops wasn’t a problem either.

But let’s get to what really matters: the ride. The horsepower output is rumored to be somewhere around 26 around 8,500 rpm (redline is 10,500), less than the 32 the Kawasaki reportedly makes. The seat-of-the-pants dyno clearly favors the Honda in the torque department, though, which peaks even lower at 7,000 rpm and is more important to newer riders anyway, who need the bike to be responsive and easy to start out from stops. The six-speed transmission is silky smooth, while the bodywork points the wind directly at the rider’s collarbones. Vibrations inherent in a single cylinder are minimal, and even at highway speeds only minor vibes are felt through the bars, which are placed just high enough to slant the rider forward without seeming too aggressive. The reach to the pegs is comfortable too. Taller riders will appreciate the high cut-outs in the fuel tank as well. Suspension is about what you’d expect from a beginner bike, with a non-adjustable 37mm fork up front and Honda’s touted Pro-Link shock out back with just spring-preload adjustability. That said, riding through the rough patches of road in the hills above Malibu, California was a pleasant experience, as bumps were casually absorbed without the abrupt harshness of sportier machines. Factory optional Combined ABS brakes should appeal to new riders, as they sometimes worry about stopping in crummy weather. With this system that’s a thing of the past and should help increase rider confidence greatly. We noticed it working almost seamlessly; lever pulsing isn’t dramatic and the bike squats instead of dives when braking hard. Of course, we had no complaints with the strong standard brakes either.

At $3,999 ($4,499 with ABS), Honda’s Metallic Black or Red/Silver CBR250R is clearly looking to eat some of Kawasaki's key lime-green Ninjette pie. We'll have a full test and comparison in Rider magazine in early 2011.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Pikey, The 250 Ninja is Fuel Injected but couldn't Pull the Skin off a Rice Pudding!!! Redline is Very High but unfortunately needs about another 30.000 RPM if it ever decided to develop Power? I rode one once and would Prefer a Automatic Nuovo, More Power!!! The Honda will be a Real Ripper and For the Price a Much better option than the Kwaka plus it is a Honda!!!
100.000 Baht for the Standard and 115.000 for the ABS Model. This will be a Real Winner and I wouldn't mind Betting You will See alot of the Local Guys Buying these for a Play Bike to Complement their Stable of Big Bikes??? Way to Go Honda! Now We just need them to bring out a 250cc Enduro to Compete with the Kawasaki KLX!!!

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
If the Ninja can't Pull the Skin off a Rice Pudding then the Honda can't even look over the edge of the bowl!

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
I actually went and looked at the New CBR yesterday. They had a 150 and the 250 side by side! They looked Identical!!! Apart from a different Engine, Bigger Tyres and Front Brake they were the same! It is a very Small Bike and Personally didn't Impress Me at all but regardless of What You Guys think it will still be a Much better Buy then the Slug 250 Ninja and I bet in a Straight Drag it may well surprise the Team Green Owners!

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Looked at the CBR250 today, price in CNX is 109,000 and 125,000 baht for ABS version, I thought the bikes exhaust is a shocker. Please more bigger Honda's.

Cheers Ken F

Dec 27, 2007
Well, if the Ninjette 250R with it's ~33Hp at the crank is a slug, then the new Honda CBR 250 which only puts out ~26Hp at the crank is what exactly? A scooter dressed up to look like a sportbike? But no doubt it will sell well thanks to its low price and racy looks. Can't wait to see the Ninjette and Baby CBR go head to head.

The new CBR 250's 10-20% Hp deficit vis a vis the Ninjette is a huge handicap for a small-displacement motorcycle.

In the US the MSRP for the Ninja 250R and CBR 250 are identical- $3999. Add $500 if you want ABS on the CBR. No doubt it will sell well here in Thailand thanks to the cheaper price and Honda badge, but globally I don't think Kawasaki has to worry too much about losing their dominance in the 250cc niche. Now that Kawasaki finally has some competition in the 250cc market perhaps it will even push them to improve the little Ninja.

Ride On!

Tony