Comfort Package & GL18HPNAM7 Metallic Silver $23,099.00
Navigation System GL18HPNAM7 Dark Blue Metallic $23,099.00

GL18HPNAM7 Dark Red Metallic $23,099.00
ABS, AIRBAG, GL18B7 Metallic Black $24,049.00
Premium Audio, GL18BM7 Dark Orange Metallic $24,349.00
Comfort Package & GL18BM7 Metallic Silver $24,349.00
Navigation System GL18BM7 Dark Blue Metallic $24,349.00

GL18BM7 Dark Red Metallic $24,349.00

Capt Slash found out you can order any model Honda you want from a dealer, wonder what the costs would be here? Any Guesses

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Ray/Colin,

Do you guys seriously want to ride Goldwings around northern Thai? Surely there are/will be better bikes (such as a KTM 950 Supermoto if Yut's plans work out well and the Triumphs take off).

Ray, for pricing, a rule of thumb that seems reasonable, based on BMW and Yut's Triumph prices is to convert $US into £GBP then add a couple of zeros - i.e a £6000 bike would become 600,000 here. Seems about right from the limited official prices available. Therefore, a $23K Goldwing, according to the "Pikey calculator" would come in at approx 1.1 - 1.2m THB. Worth it? Up to you! [;)]

Cheers,

Pikey

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Pikey
Sadly the KTM importation plans thru the guys behind britbikes has perished. A hoped-for tie-up has fallen thru and they are now concentrating on only selling trumpets.
Needless to say the planned timeline for opening Britbikes is
taking longer than thought. Hopefully March. Tho orders are coming in.
Perhaps a cheaper way of building your own Goldwing would be by buying a Lay-Z-Boy [now made in Thailand] and mounting it on a cart with one of those two wheeled tractors we see so often in Laos.
As for it's handling characteristics.....

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi John,

Damn shame about KTM and I hope that Britbikes opens as per schedule and becomes a successful dealership.

Re: Goldwings, don't tell anybody but I was lucky enough to spot the latest HRC model being roadtested in Isaan:

tractor.jpg

This must be the "race" setup rather than the tourer because the Lay-Z-Boy is conspicuous by it's absence! [;)]

Cheers,

Pikey.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
The answer is no, I don't want a goldwing just able to locate a price list form the states on that model. So I thought good for a comaprison. The right bike for my style of riding and confort level I want is the 750, but I couldn't find a price list for that. I was surprised at the power though seems a little underpowered for the size 41 HP.

Just dreaming a bit I'm very happy with my Yamaha 535, got enough guts for me, handles as easily as the Phantom 150. Cruises at speeds I like, manuvers great in in traffic. But I definetly got to modify the seat, the old toot toot jep jep mach Mach on distance rides.

One of the things I really have enjoyed about moving on from the old Yamaha 750 is how easy it is to ride the 535. The Goldwing would bur just like the old 750, like driving a car instead of a bike. But they are neat.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Ray,

I too suffered painful bouts of "jep kon mak mak" on my XR400. Silverhawk kindly bought me a cushion but having it bungy'ed to the bike kind of spoilt the lines for me [;)]. I found the solution via the internet, a pair of downhill mountainbike shorts - they are padded on the hips and the tailbone, slip under regular riding trousers and make hell of a difference.

Cheers,

Pikey.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Got me thinking about it so I stopped by a shop tha built a seat for the 750 that I liked and will probably do some Modify Modify LOL.

Oct 17, 2006
for whatever its worth, I bought my Honda Silver Wing from the HD dealer in Phuket. No idea how or from where he got it.
Its a 2005 model and the km seemed to be true at the time of purchase = 5000 . I paid 335.000 b. New the thing costs 700.000 b , is that about right ?
I took part in the 3 Nation Ride , 1500 heavy bikes from Singapore, Malaysia an d Thailand. Also some 10 Gold Wings from Singapore. All interconnected via intercom, moving jointly ballet-like heavy warships. Impressive indeed.
But to undress a Silver Wing is already a task in Thailand, a Gold Wing, if there is a problem, will require a mechanic to be flown in. Forget spare parts, etc.
At least that is what I understood from some of the pilots.

Oct 17, 2006
for whatever its worth, I bought my Honda Silver Wing from the HD dealer in Phuket. No idea how or from where he got it.
Its a 2005 model and the km seemed to be true at the time of purchase = 5000 . I paid 335.000 b. New the thing costs 700.000 b , is that about right ?
I took part in the 3 Nation Ride , 1500 heavy bikes from Singapore, Malaysia an d Thailand. Also some 10 Gold Wings from Singapore. All interconnected via intercom, moving jointly ballet-like heavy warships. Impressive indeed.
But to undress a Silver Wing is already a task in Thailand, a Gold Wing, if there is a problem, will require a mechanic to be flown in. Forget spare parts, etc.
At least that is what I understood from some of the pilots.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi Colin,

I've not got anything against the Goldwing (or any other bike for that matter) but just couldn't see the suitability of one for N.Thai? For sure, in the U.S for Interstate cruising and also in Europe for big miles in comfort, listening to the radio e.t.c, then prob just the job for some people. I am not one of them.

Wouldn't agree that Honda make the "best" bikes. They probably make the most reliable, customer-friendly bikes but that's not necessarily what all people want. Anyway, this is a subject that will definitely bring a load of conjecture and never an agreed conclusion! [;)] (BTW, thought you were a H-D man anyway???)

Had a few Hinckley triples in my time, an early Trident 900, a gorgeous black Speed Triple (the old cafe racer styled one) and a Thunderbird Sport. All great bikes and a TBS would be a ripper of a bike for here (IMHO). I do like the Bonnie range, particularly the Scrambler but reckon I could do better myself with a cheap stolen/recovered base model Bonnie and then use the cash I saved to replace heavy stock parts, pretty it up and buy some performance bits too. Anyway, waffled on enough, but just to recap, I personally have respect for anyone who rides any bike, no matter how big or small or what style. Good on them for discovering one of the best things in life! [:D]

Cheers,

Pikey.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Guess I should back up a bit I have infact owned a Goldwing, first year they came out 1975 I think, not anything like you see today 1000 CC. Just a very powerful smooth motorcycle.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Yes I will be down for a bit, but it usually doesn;t take to long before I can venture forth agian. Lucky and Dal are back in town. Went to that Kings event they said in excess of 2400 bikes, including real choppers

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well solved the seat problem today 500 baht, changed the seat height and a new cover. Not as sharp looking as before. Raised it about three inches to match up with the rear seat. A lot more confortable and better on the back. Doesn't cost much to modify here if you got to real Thai shops.

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Good move then Ray and hope the new found comfort lasts. If i were to raise the seat on my XR by 3 inches, I'd need to carry a bloody stepladder everywhere just to be able to get on the thing! Guess I'll be sticking to my mountainbike shorts...... [;)]

Cheers,

Pikey.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Well I think I could have pulled it off with less then that that puts me slightly knees bent and flat footed at stops. A bit hard for backing but everything else should be fine. I sit up my 750 the same, just better position for my back. This was the same guy I used for the 750 seat so it shoudldbe just fine. Got get out and get some miles on then I will know.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
I was afraid of that but you now have a contact and they can do it. So you can probably work it through them. I dion't think I would let them know they are the only game in town LOL.

Well we got in 440 KMS on the seat yesterday much better, for the bottom and the back. It's so funny now the wife wants to widen the back seat as well, Heck she got no toot toot LOL