Hua Hin To Ko Samui - Places To Stay ?

niko13

Jul 3, 2011
Hi Guys,
I am riding solo from Hua Hin to Koh Samui on the 7th of Feb....
Was wandering what will be the Ferry time and if Don Sak will be the best place to catch a ferry with a bike (Ducati MS 1200)...
Also if anybody knows a good place to stay in case I don't feel like riding the full 500km;s in one go... Any good places to stop for a break overnight close by to the Ferry crossing ?

Any assistance will be appreciated...
First time riding that far south... any advise will be welcomed.
Thanks
Nikolas

Dec 27, 2007
Hi Nik!

Chumphon is roughly half way between Hua Hin and Suart Thani and has a ton of lodging choices to suit any budget.

Theres also a National Park just south of Chumphon that offers simple clean bungalows for small money.

Really, there are hotels and resorts all up and down the Gulf of Thailand coast so it's never hard to find a place to stay.

Likewise, if you prefer to stay closer to the Don Sak ferry there are some very nice beach side resorts in Surat Thani and some fine hotels in the town as well.

Happy Trails!!

Jan 4, 2014
I rode down to the Mu Koh Chumphon National Marine Park at new year. Nice rooms up on the hill were ฿700 a night. There are free kayaks to use in the park on the canal or sea. As Tony said, it's close to Chumphon and would make a convenient stopover.

I made the mistake of following Google Maps entrance to the park, which puts it about 30km south of the town, rather than following the Nation Park's website, which is the correct way to get the park accommodation on the north of the bay. Frustrating 60km detour...

I'd post some pics but my camera fell into the drink climbing out of one of those blasted sea kayaks!!!

Mar 7, 2014
It might be a bit late on answering this... but as far as ferries goes to Koh Samui ... There is Seatran and Raja Ferries leaving from Donsak about every hour during the day... Both terminals are within about a kilometer of each other.... signs are quite good on the highways. Ferry ride is about 1.5 hours to Samui. Raja ferry terminal on Samui is about five k's south of Nathon...which is where Seatran arrives.

(The Lomprayah and Songterm ferries are passenger ferries only)

I've only done trips west and south of Donsak, so cannot advise on places to stay from Hau Hin...

Mar 7, 2014
Coming down the highway from Chumpon to Surratthanii city, (perhaps others north of Chumpon?) one sees a number of these signs....along the highway, only in Thai....

But they provide good clean accommodation at very reasonable prices 250 to 399 baht (roughly some maybe a bit more?) but for 399 baht, I got a good room with AC, TV, (Thai only!) hot water shower, coffee etc etc... excellent value! Also covered area for bike or car!)

IMG_3927.jpg

another sign ....

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

There are a number of resorts around Donsak, but I cannot comment as have not stayed at them....

Seatran ferry cost, is 200 baht for less than 150 cc and 250 baht for over that... to Samui (including driver ! ) Leave every hour from 6 am to 7 pm ....

Kawboy

May 16, 2013
^

That's a 'No Tell Motel'- there probably weren't too many singles staying there, or many other rentals over a couple hours.;)

I do like the parking set-up, though it's there to lessen the chance that a wife will drive by and recognize her husband's car in the lot.:D