Huay Nam Dang - Wiang Haeng

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
On the trail of new asphalt...

The last time I did this road was on the mighty Honda Wing 125 & it ended up in the Lisu village of Sam Mun, & that was as far as you could go.

Time for another look and an update for the MHS Lop map, maybe - looking for new asphalt - where has all that rural development money gone you might think?

The start from the turn off to Huay Nam Dang from R1095.
IMG_5683.JPG

it all looks good & promising.
IMG_5685.JPG

The first viewpoint is only a couple of kms in & the view isn't really spectacular. Just pretty a guess.
IMG_5686.JPG

The Huay Nam Dang Kiew Lom viewpoint & visitor info centre, where it all seemed to be happening for the Selfie of the Year Competition.
IMG_5690.JPG

IMG_5687.JPG

IMG_5689.JPG

I just enjoyed the view. It was good sucking in that magic clean fresh cool mountain air.

A km up the road is the Cool Wind Campground
IMG_5701.JPG

but neither Silverhawk or I felt inclined to indulge & camp out there in the near future.
IMG_5697.JPG

Then onto the dirt almost immediately.
IMG_5702.JPG

Still the same old forestry trail
IMG_5704.JPG

single lane
IMG_5707.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

a couple of wheel tracks
IMG_5718.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

winding through the forest
IMG_5712.JPG

Up & down the mountains
IMG_5707.JPG

Sometimes concrete on the steeper sections, that were most muddy in the wet
IMG_5744.JPG

A Lisu village en route
IMG_5727.JPG

IMG_5730.JPG

The local Lisu power supply
IMG_5734.JPG

A bit of dry snot
IMG_5725.JPG

The road winds on through the forest
IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5741.JPG

Its really step at the Wiang Haeng end, & there is a series of concrete switch backs with concreted tracks with deep drop offs to negotiate & hope that you don't meet any oncoming vehicles in that nasty section; as there is no run off. Someone needs to reverse on the steep concrete tracks with deep drop off either side of the concreted tracks. Sorry no photos. :oops:

IMG_5736.JPG

IMG_5738.JPG

Then the road soon opens out into vege gardens
IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

Thank god for Blue PVC says the gardener
IMG_5751.JPG

The concrete road pops up again & you're soon in Wiang Haeng.

Here's the elevation profile
34-Thailnad-HuayNamDang-WiangHaeng.jpg

Huay Nam Dang - Wiang Haeng = 2 -2.5 hrs driving in good conditions with a few photo stops.
If you're on a 250 trail bike it is a beautiful forestry trail ride & well worth doing.

The road basically runs along the ridgeline between R1095 & Wiang Haeng.

It is well worth checking out. Spectacular forest cover & views.

Not many people do it & it is a gem of easy trail ride; although you should exercise great care in keeping to your side of the road. The trail is narrow, with no run off & many varied surfaces to make it interesting & require good concentration. There are very few villages or traffic. It is a remote journey - so don't break down or stuff up..

Combine it with the Wiang Haeng - Pai trail & it could be a nice loop for an off-road day trip from either Pai or Wiang Haeng.

To spend a night in Wiang Haeng look here
Piang Luang and Wieng Haeng Accommodation

To wine & dine in Wiang Haeng
Wiang Haeng Piang Luang Restaurants

To enjoy the delights & attractions of Wiang Haeng look here
Chiang Mai - Wiang Haeng - Piang Luang. On the trail of King Naresuan.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
Some pics with motorbikes. From Chiang Dao, Wiang Hang Huay Nam Dang 2 years ago

cu9fh4i7bxih2hxpr.jpg

Chiang Dao Mae Cha

cu9fpp1zpncajka27.jpg

cu9fqpm7v65nbw2cv.jpg

Mae Cha – Wiang Hang
cu9fwgxd3t47elrzj.jpg

cu9fxi78fmtjy3enj.jpg

cu9g01hrs977u5z3j.jpg

cu9g0tb3kb2147e27.jpg

cu9g1x2gju6cwsxyn.jpg

cu9g2g2fmvadoiygf.jpg

cu9gctywnbqmzf6r3.jpg

cu9gdhqv587krgxyn.jpg

cu9ge6gb74xuyj567.jpg

cu9geomg5acbd9kvj.jpg

cu9gf71rvp2uh1ey7.jpg

Wiang Hang trail to Huang Nam Dang Nationalpark. Lisu aerea some villages at the trail

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Clearly quite a few of us have been out that way & it's well worth the trip - see: A Dirty Affair

There are so many good rides that one can link into the area, both on & off-road, so many different circuits to take of varying difficulty. The area is full of history, offers fantastic views & gives riders the ability to constantly change their options.

Well worth putting in a little effort over a GTR map to pencil in a CNX & return tour - you will not regret it!

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Rod Page;303191 wrote: Clearly quite a few of us have been out that way & it's well worth the trip - see: A Dirty Affair

There are so many good rides that one can link into the area, both on & off-road, so many different circuits to take of varying difficulty. The area is full of history, offers fantastic views & gives riders the ability to constantly change their options.

Well worth putting in a little effort over a GTR map to pencil in a CNX & return tour - you will not regret it!
Rod
Thanks for that one.

A Dirty Affair

It's definitely worthy of another plug.

Thats a great trip for dirt riders alright.

Last edited:

Moor66

Subscribed
Aug 20, 2023
I come from the Wiang Haeng end in January, and it was just such a nice trip now ten years later as you guys describe here. Pretty much deserted until the camping areas.

Ok I took off south from 1322 in WH, here keep right, not the more trafficed left one. After this, it's straight forward and soon gravel only.
IMG_9312.jpeg
IMG_9318.jpeg

Here at the steep section it's not hard to get a flat tyre. But my tyres are 65/69J so overly thick and sturdy for the little bike. And I do carry a tyre worm kit and a pump, so tyrewise I feel okay on my solo trips.
IMG_9320.jpeg

Just before Ban Sam Muen, I decided to check out a trail towards Pai that looked tempting on map. Up to around 1600 meter and then down down down, the trail looks good so I hang on. But 15.30 already when I saw two farmers to ask if it would be possible to continue, the say no no no too deep water later on so I turn back. Mostly first and second gear for some 20 min uphill now. But next time I will try this trail entering from north side just south of Pai. And not late afternoon...
IMG_9322.jpeg

IMG_9328.jpeg
IMG_9329.jpeg

Soon back to main road close to Ban Sam Muen
IMG_9331.jpeg

Then south and after the village soon a signposted crossroads. Ban Doi Sam Muen is another village, not the northern one which I just passed thru.
IMG_9334.jpeg

Seen from south. Have way to Chiang Dao too from here.
IMG_9335.jpeg

Views along the way, not much firesmog in early January 2024
IMG_9338.jpeg
IMG_9341.jpeg

I think this is an entering point to another, shorter more southern located trail towards Pai. At least it looks so on my map. Something to check out in the future!
IMG_9347.jpeg

Huai Nam Dang campsite. Well past 17.00 and totally calm, what a super nice site to camp on someday
IMG_9349.jpeg

Almost dead silent, as serene as it gets
IMG_9352.jpeg

Now 4030 a very good paved road and exit to 1095 thru National park gates, some 30 km southeast of Pai. Another superb riding day up north!

Reactions: DavidFL

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I come from the Wiang Haeng end in January, and it was just such a nice trip now ten years later as you guys describe here. Pretty much deserted until the camping areas.

Ok I took off south from 1322 in WH, here keep right, not the more trafficed left one. After this, it's straight forward and soon gravel only.
View attachment 153819View attachment 153820

Here at the steep section it's not hard to get a flat tyre. But my tyres are 65/69J so overly thick and sturdy for the little bike. And I do carry a tyre worm kit and a pump, so tyrewise I feel okay on my solo trips.
View attachment 153821

Just before Ban Sam Muen, I decided to check out a trail towards Pai that looked tempting on map. Up to around 1600 meter and then down down down, the trail looks good so I hang on. But 15.30 already when I saw two farmers to ask if it would be possible to continue, the say no no no too deep water later on so I turn back. Mostly first and second gear for some 20 min uphill now. But next time I will try this trail entering from north side just south of Pai. And not late afternoon...
View attachment 153822
View attachment 153824View attachment 153825

Soon back to main road close to Ban Sam Muen
View attachment 153827

Then south and after the village soon a signposted crossroads. Ban Doi Sam Muen is another village, not the northern one which I just passed thru.
View attachment 153828

Seen from south. Have way to Chiang Dao too from here.
View attachment 153830

Views along the way, not much firesmog in early January 2024
View attachment 153831View attachment 153832

I think this is an entering point to another, shorter more southern located trail towards Pai. At least it looks so on my map. Something to check out in the future!
View attachment 153833

Huai Nam Dang campsite. Well past 17.00 and totally calm, what a super nice site to camp on someday
View attachment 153834

Almost dead silent, as serene as it gets
View attachment 153835

Now 4030 a very good paved road and exit to 1095 thru National park gates, some 30 km southeast of Pai. Another superb riding day up north!
Excellent thanks for the update. Great info.