Huay Xai to Luang Namtha road cond. @ 28/10/06

Oct 16, 2005
Travelled LNT to HX road yesterday on the public bus 7.5 hrs.

Aside from a short stretch of bitumen around the midway point, road remains unsealed. Its two lanes wide of hard packed and dusty clay (ranging from mirror smooth to moderate rough) till about the last 25ks into Namtha. Here it narrows to single lane (two wheel ruts) with a dozen or so "mud holes" 2m - 20m long and a few patches of shaded damp clay.

TDuk
Chiang Rai.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
ThunderDuck-

Thanks for the update. Many people are interested in how this road is progressing/changing. The bitumen would be new since I last went but the single lane into LNT sounds about the same. There was one report of them having to lift vehicles over or out of the mudholes recently, true or not?

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

Jun 24, 2005
Hi ThunderDuck

Thanks for the input, so I presume that it's still not advisable to travel during raining day. I plan a trip this Dec planning to take this road from Luang Nan Tha to Huay Xai. And hopefully not 2 much rain that period.

May I know is there any guest house along Rd 3 from LNT to HX? May I know is the border from HX to ChiangKhong operation during weekend period.

My trip to Lao will be around beginning of Dec to mid of Dec 2006.

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

Thanks for the input, so I presume that it's still not advisable to travel during raining day. I plan a trip this Dec planning to take this road from Luang Nan Tha to Huay Xai. And hopefully not 2 much rain that period.

May I know is there any guest house along Rd 3 from LNT to HX? May I know is the border from HX to ChiangKhong operation during weekend period.

My trip to Lao will be around beginning of Dec to mid of Dec 2006.

Thanks

The only place you will find a guesthouse is in Vieng Poukha (about half way). You can usually make it from Luang Nam Tha to Huay Xai in a day if you don't hit too many problems and get an early start.

Unless there has been a recent change Immigration and Customs are not open on weekends.

Let us know how you make out, I am thinking about HX to LNT again soon myself.

Dave Early

Ever notice that "What the Heck!" is usually the right answer?

Nov 14, 2004
Yo! Ducky, why were you on the bus? What did you do to pass the time?
Or did you give the "Mekong" a nudge to ease the pain.
Scott...60minutes style.

Jun 24, 2005
Hi Dave

Thanks for the info, if the road condition and the weather permit, I'll be there around begining of Dec.

So for the boat across the border, is only in operation during weekday. OK, Will let yours know the condition of the road if I travel there, else need to do a loop for boat ride with bike.

We need to cross the border in order for us to reach Mae Sai.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

Jun 24, 2005
quote:

Originally posted by scot harper

Cysiong, love your tag! But sensay, what is the sound of one hand clapping??

hI, I don;t really understand wat you mean?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.