importing bike from Australia

bill

Mar 29, 2004
Back in 2007 Shadow made a good report on importing a DR650 from Australia to Cambodia

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... t2933.html

I'm looking at doing the same myself in the near future. Using DHL to handle things both ends (like Shadow did) seems like a hassle free option

Would be interested to hear of any recent experiences and/or recommendations for a freight forwarder/customs broker.

JimCA2

Jan 3, 2004
Dave is the only one I know who has imported a bike recently. He is currently back in Australia tending to some fire related issues. His post about getting the DR would be one of the most recent sources of info. Murray originally imported a Harley from Australia and it cost him just under a couple of grand to get it in. There are new import laws so things aren't as easy as they used to be but not impossible.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
JimCA2 wrote: Dave is the only one I know who has imported a bike recently. He is currently back in Australia tending to some fire related issues. His post about getting the DR would be one of the most recent sources of info. Murray originally imported a Harley from Australia and it cost him just under a couple of grand to get it in. There are new import laws so things aren't as easy as they used to be but not impossible.
Jim
Thanks for the feedback
I have received detailed quotes from SDV (that Murray used) and DHL (used by Shadow).

SDV are a bit cheaper and they reckon customs value the bike on engine size and year which is $2000 for a brand new DRZ400E. Tax is then calculated at 39.15% which equates to $783 import duty

DHL reckon the customs duty is based on Invoice value and reckon Customs would question an invoice value below $2500-$3000 for a brand new DRZ.

I sent DHL's quote to SDV but they are sticking to their story that regardless of cost, new or secondhand, the customs duty is based on year and engine size.

Would be nice to believe SDV (in preference to DHL) as their price makes importation viable given the low Australian dollar . All up it would cost $6500 for a brand new DRZ400E ex Brisbane and on the road/tax paid in Cambodia, using SDV's quote.

Still thinking about it.....

shadow

Jun 27, 2007
To the best of my knowledge they are still using the engine size and year. With a maximum price for any bike regardless of new or used cheap or expensive invoice price.

This system works well for Cambodia as any invoice's would be fakes otherwise.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
shadow wrote: To the best of my knowledge they are still using the engine size and year. With a maximum price for any bike regardless of new or used cheap or expensive invoice price.

This system works well for Cambodia as any invoice's would be fakes otherwise.
Hi Shadow
here is the quote I received from DHL using an invoice value of $6000
Given the bike is brand new, DHL advised using an invoice value no lower than $2500-$3000
The DHL guy was adamant that the engine size/year calc didn't apply to a brand new bike.

Dear Mr Bill
Ok, Let me explain u as below:

Let say your invoice value is USD6,000 (COST)

For the Freight, customs is base on 10% of the invoice value, the freight is 6000x10%=600 (FREIGHT)

Insurance evaluate by customs USD57 (INSURANCE)

CIF=Cost + Insurance + Freight

CIF=6,000 + 600 + 57=6657

CIF=6657

Duty Tax is 15% + VAT 10% + Specific Tax 10%

1. Duty Tax 15%

6657 x 15%=998.55

2. VAT 10%

(6657+998.55) x 10%=765.55

3. Specific TAX 10%

[(6657+998.55) + 765.55] x 10%=842.11

So the Duty Tax is: 998.55 + 765.55 + 842.11 =2606.21

4. PSI=Pre Shipment Inspection (If no BAVIC)

6657 x 10%=998.55 (665.7)

So the tax you have to pay is Total: 998.55 + 765.55 + 842.11+ 988.55 (665.7) =3604.76 ( $3271.91 )

I do hope you can clear for my above explanations.

In contrast
Here is the quote for customs duty from SDV (even after seeing the DHL quote)

Dear Mr. Bill,

Here's the import duty applicable for Importing the motor bike Suzuki DRZ400E, Engine size 400cc,year of manufacture 2008
: Usd 2,000. of 39,15%(15+10+10) equal Usd 783. to be paid.

Thanks & Best regards,

Perhaps both quotes are accurate if one chooses that particular agent.
Therefore SDV currently has a better arrangement with Customs than DHL ?
Btw Shadow, I'm not doubting the accuracy of the figures you quoted back in 2007.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
JimCA2 wrote: Dave is the only one I know who has imported a bike recently. He is currently back in Australia tending to some fire related issues. His post about getting the DR would be one of the most recent sources of info. Murray originally imported a Harley from Australia and it cost him just under a couple of grand to get it in. There are new import laws so things aren't as easy as they used to be but not impossible.
I am still getting conflicting information on customs duty rates from various customs brokers. Perhaps some are quoting old import laws ?

My plan is to import a BRAND NEW drz400e from Australia to Cambodia

Has anyone imported a BRAND NEW bike in the last 6 months.

If so, what method did customs use to value the bike. What rate/percentage import tax did you pay.

bill

Mar 29, 2004
A bit more news on importing a brand new bike...

I have 4 separate quotes from various customs brokers in PP and their versions of how import tax is calculated for a brand new bike.

As it turns out, 2 of the 4 brokers didn't have a clue what they were talking about and gave me the tax calculation for a secondhand bike.

I finally got the correct version from DHL and Narita Logistics.

Firstly, the CIF value is calculated.

This is Invoice cost + Insurance cost + Freight

3 taxes are then applied to the CIF value and comprise of

Duty Tax 15%
Vat 10%
Specific tax 10%

However, these taxes are compounded so it actually totals 39.15% of the CIF value

According to DHL, there is one more tax called PSI-Pre Shipment Inspection)
PSI is 10% of the CIF value.

So total tax would be 49.15% of the CIF value

According to Narita Logistics, Cambodian customs now have a data base of new vehicle prices so lying about the invoice value probably wont work anymore.

The deal for secondhand bikes is still ok and this is the deal Murray and Shadow got for their bikes. Secondhand bikes are taxed on a value determined from Year and Engine size and the customs values are quite low.

NGO's can import tax free which might be an option for some.
Otherwise you need to be well connected, or buy secondhand, or pay through the nose.

[/u]

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
Ex-Demonstrator - or get someone to buy it in their name and sell it to you the next day for half price...

Cheers,
Daewoo

bill

Mar 29, 2004
daewoo wrote: Ex-Demonstrator - or get someone to buy it in their name and sell it to you the next day for half price...

Cheers,
Daewoo
I'm organizing everything from Cambo so buying an ex demo bike (sight unseen) would be similar to buying a low km DRZ from one of the local importers here. Never know exactly what your getting.

Two reasons I was going for brand new is because Suzuki Oz have a $400 cashback offer on the DRZ400E, plus the Brisbane distributor was willing to waive gst and deliver the bike in its original crate to the shipping depot.
The gst waiver was possible due to it being exported.
Total cost for that was AUD6850.

Unfortunately, once you add 49.15% tax, shipping/customs brokerage/other fees, the whole exercise totals ~AUD12000 or USD9500 at FX0.80

Importers in PP are selling low kilometer ex USA 2007 DRZ's for USD5000-5500 on the road.
Looks like that remains the better option for me.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
bill wrote: [quote quote=daewoo]Ex-Demonstrator - or get someone to buy it in their name and sell it to you the next day for half price...

Cheers,
Daewoo
I'm organizing everything from Cambo so buying an ex demo bike (sight unseen) would be similar to buying a low km DRZ from one of the local importers here. Never know exactly what your getting.

Two reasons I was going for brand new is because Suzuki Oz have a $400 cashback offer on the DRZ400E, plus the Brisbane distributor was willing to waive gst and deliver the bike in its original crate to the shipping depot.
The gst waiver was possible due to it being exported.
Total cost for that was AUD6850.

Unfortunately, once you add 49.15% tax, shipping/customs brokerage/other fees, the whole exercise totals ~AUD12000 or USD9500 at FX0.80

Importers in PP are selling low kilometer ex USA 2007 DRZ's for USD5000-5500 on the road.
Looks like that remains the better option for me.
Bill
Curious, how's it going re the bike import - any progress / news?

bill

Mar 29, 2004
David
I ended up buying a low mileage (2000miles) import from USA, DRZ400S 2007.
This was brought in by Flying Bikes who paid USD780 import tax plus customs brokers fees and shipping etc.

Its still quite reasonable to import a secondhand bike
Brand new bikes are a different story

I got quotes from 4 customs brokers for importing a brand new bike but only two of them were up to date on customs import duties for New bikes.
That was Narita and DHL .
The other two quoted me tax for secondhand bikes and didn't even know new bikes were taxed on a different system than used bikes

Tax on a brand new bike would have worked out to 49.15% of the invoice value. Since May 2009 Cambo customs have a data base of new vehicle prices so forget about understating the invoice value unless you're well connected.

All up, it would have cost me ~AUD12000 to purchase the new DRZ400E in Australia (purchase price AUD7000) and import it to Cambo including all taxes and on road costs here.
Thats about USD9500-10,000 depending on exchange rate

In comparison, late model low mileage imports from USA go for around USD5000-6000, so that's the route I eventually took.

In the old days Cambodia got some excellent imported used bikes from Japan with loads of mods on them.
Unfortunately, (for the Japanese) these were mostly stolen bikes and brought in as parts.
Customs have pretty much closed that loophole so now the US secondhand market seems to be the favorite source.