info on Suzuki Djebel 200 needed

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Just saw a Suzuki Djebel 200 for sale ar mocyc.com - I thought it was a 250! Wrong again. Since dealers in Thailand sell up to 200cc, is this model available at Suzuki dealerships? With book and license, parts and repair available like a Honda Phantom 200? - I know I could go and ask, but getting some straight advice from foreigners in this forum is way easier than dealing with the salesgirls who don't speak english...
Question: is the Djebel 200 available through a Thai dealer or are they imported?
I'd sell my Phantom tomorrow to get an Enduro... with plates and service!

mja34

Apr 24, 2003
wanted to ask same question , do any of the japs manufacture in thailand a trail/enduro bike of 200cc or below? dr/xt/xr/ts/mtx/ the list goes on!! marcus.

marcus ackerman

Mar 11, 2004
You won't get service here for a Djebel, they are not made here or sold here by suzuki dealers.I don't really understand this reference to 200cc ? Dealers can make and sell any capacity they like, the local manufacturer's don't choose to manufacture big bikes because the market is not inclined to buy them in any volume, if it was they would, most will import a few if you place an order (and pay up front)
BTW Suzuki has a bike showroom in BKK sellling large bikes, GSXXR 1000' and 750's etc but do not stock ANY spare parts for them or provide any service resources. Because of the poor location and punative taxes, I don't think they sell much, but BMW do, (and maybe Ducati) there is a market here for bigger bikes and it will develop over time but the local Japanese companies DO NOT want people to sample the delights of a proper motorbike, thats why (apart from Suzuki's low key effort) they restrict their local offering to the low powered scooter type.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
My main concern is a) having a legal bike with book and license plate, and B) being able to repair and get parts in any little town. I live in a small village and sold my AX1 because I had to go to BKK for parts, and when the bike didn't start, I had to ask local "mechanics" who messed things up pretty bad. Then they promised to get parts for a high price in two weeks, but never delivered. Paid 1.800 Baht for a rear tire! - The 200cc Phantom seems to be the biggest bike sold in TH where I'm not "on my own" - when the headgasket blew, I had it repaired at a Honda shop in two weeks for 740 Baht. If that would have happened to the AX1, I would have to take the bike to BKK and stay there until it's fixed, because I don't trust local mechanics anymore. They can't even fix my Isuzu truck without breaking two other things. - Why sell big bikes with no parts and no service? - Also, a 200cc Enduro would do me just fine over here, even though I had a DR650S and a XR650L with K&N and a Supertrapp in another life.

Sep 15, 2004
Klaus,
Where are you located at?? I'm in Ompore Krasang a small villiage between Surin and Burirum. I have a Yamaha 750 Special Chopper that I love to ride. I also have a 125 Yamaha DT that I ride on the back roads and through trails. The 750 is in my name and I have plates Insurance the works on it, however the 125 doesn't have any paperwork so I have to be careful where I ride it.

Have a Thai friend who has an AX-1 that has papers and he's trying to get me to buy it...BAD BIKE???

I am always looking for Farang riders around this area...

KHUNDAN SENDS

KHUNDAN
ONCE A MARINE ALWAY'S A MARINE

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
I'm 400km south of Bangkok, so unfortunately not in your area. - I can only talk about the AX1 I had, which was a good bike. It was a '88 model, the speedo showed 65.000km, but the little engine was running fine, didn't burn any oil and revved to redline without any hickups. The shocks were worn and it rattled like a coffee grinder, but I could take my hands off the bars at high speed, it ran straight. Nice bike, better than an Enduro on highways, I would have kept it or would buy another one if I could get it serviced here and be able to order parts for it. - One example: the dual plastic headlights were dull, didn't let enough light through. I called around, checked the internet, then ran all over Bangkok for three days, but hardly anybody has parts for this bike. Finally one shop that orders parts from Japan said they could get me used ones for 2500 Baht, send money first - who knows what I may get?!
Then I got good advice through internet and telephone from a foreigner who rents out bikes in the north. He told me to get the lights off a Yamaha TZR 150, everywhere available. They're shaped a bit different, and on a different frame, but they're Stanley's and it's possible to fiddle them onto the AX1's - presto, new headlights for 300 Baht, right here! I still could kiss this guys feet! "Oh all-knowing master of motorcycle parts, share thy wisdom, where can I get a chain and sprocket set for an AX1?" Red Baron? They laughed at me. No Micky-Mouse chains here. Behind National Stadium? After half a day, no. - I have other things to do than chase all over Bangkok for fork springs, ignition locks or straight brake discs. Give me a 200cc bike I can service anywhere and I'm happy! Or if I win the lotterie, I'll buy me a BMW F650GS for half a million, they don't service it here but it won't break down. Also I know where to get BMW parts, I had ten used K-bikes in the States, even parted out a couple.

Mar 11, 2004
"I had a DR650S and a XR650L" [:p]
Klaus
I WISH we could get these big trail bikes here, have a DR 400 in now and thats great fun, lifts the front wheel in a flash.
on the odd occasion when we do come across a big Trailie the price is bloody outrageous so I turn them down, A DR 650 with Motard wheels and those nice & sticky Maxxis tires would do me for life.

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
Talking about lifting the front wheel, check out www.christini.com, they're working on a off-road with AWD, even have videos...
They're building AWD mountain bikes with on-the-fly clutch...

Klaus

Mar 8, 2004
A factory motard is definitely a step in the right direction, looks like Suzuki has been watching the Europeans, who loved to turn the air-oil cooled DR 650 into a street motard. That engine had more power stock than the XR650L with K@N filter, Supertrapp and bigger jets. But I never liked the look of it - the small front wheel probably works great, but looks weird, plus all that plastic makes it look "fat". I'd keep the rims and put on Pirelli MT60's. - But what really surprised me was the weight of the GSXR1000; I knew that this class is extremely competitive, everybody trying to be lighter and produce more hp, but only 166kg?! How do they do that? A watercooled 1000cc fourcylinder with 180 hp or so that has to be stabile at 160mph? - Compare that to the little SV650, a twin: 165kg! Or even the Burgman scooter, 400cc: 184kg, the 650 version 238kg! Even the light single cylinder DRZ400SM weighs 134kg. I say hats off to that achievement! [:0]