Is it Safe to Ride 130 kmh/hour with a Givi topcase?

Garet

Nov 25, 2010
Just fitted my Givi E30 topcase on the back of my Kawasaki KLX 250.

Inside the case, it says the maximum speed is 110 Km/hour and maximum weight is just 3 Kg. I'm taking a 4 day trip next week. Won't have too much gear, but definitely more than 3kg and I will also be riding 130 km/hour in some stretches (on my recently de-restricted KLX).

Does anyone think this is unsafe due to the risk of the case coming off? Has anyone ever had their Givi case come off due to riding too fast or too much weight? I've seen 650 cc bikes with Givi topcases, so people are obviously riding more than 110 km/hour.

Also, I couldn't find a proper Givi rack for the KLX so I attached the case to the metal rack I already had. It appears to be secure as it is attached with the three screws that came the plastic plate which the Givi case is mounted on (see photos). The advantage of using my own rack is that when I have a lot of gear (more than the box will hold), I can take of the box and plastic plate and just strap all my gear to the rack properly.

Does it look safe?

Attached files
266045=1674-case01.jpg
266045=1673-case02.jpg
266045=1675-case03.jpg

Garet

Nov 25, 2010
Captain_Slash;266047 wrote: I think they recommend you not to go too fast with panniers and top boxes is because the wind buffetting can upset the handling of your bike rather than the box will fly off

I see...well, strapping a few bags to the rack without the box could have the same effect.

I just don't want the prolonged exposure to the wind to jack off the case and cause an accident for a car or other rider behind me.

Jurgen

Subscribed
Oct 23, 2009
www.chopard.org
As far as I know ... there are Givi boxes made in Malaysia and some imported from Europe. There is a difference in price, maybe also in quality. I had a small Malaysian box on an AX1, but speed is limited with this bike. On the ER6 I had a large givi box and my max speed (test) was 160 (it was not to test the box, but the windshield). After a trip around Laos, the rack fell apart! The screws were not fixed tight enough. The same box is now on my Versys (with another rack). I always load 13 kg and often cruise near 130, if I use a highway. I had no problem till now and the box seems to sit tightly, despite the vibrations, on worn out roads. Nevertheless, my material is original, bought at Kawa, without own modifications. Heavy load and vibrations are probably more fatal than a couple of trips at 130. And, to make it sure, you could bind a large strap around it.

Sep 4, 2007
I have one of these lighter 33L Givi boxes. They are the Monolock range made in Malaysia and designed for small bikes normally travelling at lower speeds. 130Km per hour is 40km over the national speed limit anyway. I have used this box for 1 year on a Ninja 650 and also a Yamaha FZ1, regular travel at around 140kph and sometimes faster. No problems with the box. This box cost under 3000 Baht. I also have an Italian made Monokey box the V47, this is much heavier plastic, rated to 10kg, but still same 130kph max speed recommendation. This box costs over 20,000Baht in Thailand. Mine came from Singapore at just over 8,000 Baht. This is mounted on the F800GS and sometimes travels at 160kph with no problems. My old Yamaha FJR had original panniers, again rated to carry 10Kg and max speed 130kph. Exactly same spec for original top box and side cases on the BMW R1200GS. So it must be some agreed limit of weight and speed which I agree is probably more to do with bike handling than box strength. I have heard of problems with failing racks, especially locally made, but have never heard of a box or its locating parts failing in normal use.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
Garet;266045 wrote: Just fitted my Givi E30 topcase on the back of my Kawasaki KLX 250. ....I will also be riding 130 km/hour in some stretches (on my recently de-restricted KLX).
I not familiar with the Givi case and if it it's mounting might be a problem at higher speeds, but wonder if the main concern might be stressing the KLX's engine riding at 130kph??
In comparison, my dirt bike will go 125kph Max (with a tailwind) and I'd never want to ride at that speeds and possibly over stress the engine.

Garet

Nov 25, 2010
johngooding;266061 wrote: I have one of these lighter 33L Givi boxes. They are the Monolock range made in Malaysia and designed for small bikes normally travelling at lower speeds. 130Km per hour is 40km over the national speed limit anyway. I have used this box for 1 year on a Ninja 650 and also a Yamaha FZ1, regular travel at around 140kph and sometimes faster. No problems with the box. This box cost under 3000 Baht. I also have an Italian made Monokey box the V47, this is much heavier plastic, rated to 10kg, but still same 130kph max speed recommendation. This box costs over 20,000Baht in Thailand. Mine came from Singapore at just over 8,000 Baht. This is mounted on the F800GS and sometimes travels at 160kph with no problems. My old Yamaha FJR had original panniers, again rated to carry 10Kg and max speed 130kph. Exactly same spec for original top box and side cases on the BMW R1200GS. So it must be some agreed limit of weight and speed which I agree is probably more to do with bike handling than box strength. I have heard of problems with failing racks, especially locally made, but have never heard of a box or its locating parts failing in normal use.

That is good to know that you've never had a problem at those speeds.

My Givi case isn't mounted on a proper Givi rack though (see photos). As I said, I couldn't find a Givi rack made for D-Tracker/KLX, so I just mounted the plastic bottom on the metal rack I had. I just hope this mount is stable enough because I'll be riding about 1000 KM the next 4 or 5 days.

Garet

Nov 25, 2010
cdrw;266062 wrote: I not familiar with the Givi case and if it it's mounting might be a problem at higher speeds, but wonder if the main concern might be stressing the KLX's engine riding at 130kph??
In comparison, my dirt bike will go 125kph Max (with a tailwind) and I'd never want to ride at that speeds and possibly over stress the engine.

It is my understanding that the KLX is restricted due to emissions standards, not engine stress, and the KLX isn't restricted in other parts of the world. The engine is perfectly capable of travelling at 130 kph without the restriction (this is what I've read anyway).

I only push it to 130 on the open highway for some stretches, usually just to pass trucks and other slower vehicles. I'll probably keep cruising speed at 120 kph on the highway.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
The box isn't going to blow off. I have 3 different size boxes shared between 3 different bikes. It doesn't need to be mounted on a Givi rack. As you see, they are designed to fit fairly universally on almost any rack. Overloading it can possibly cause the rack or the frame mount itself to break. This is not because of the Givi box, it is because it was overloaded. This also applies to other brand boxes, soft luggage or milk crates strapped on the rack.

I have ridden at what is 'well over' the stated limit (both in speed and in weight). I agree, that I think it refers to bike handling. As it is basically out of the wind, protected by your body, I don't see that as much of an issue either. I did have a rack fail after many days of riding off road in Laos. It was my fault, as I stated above, the rack was overloaded with tools and other gear. The box was fine.

As they say here in Thailand "You think too much!". Don't get crazy with what you carry, ride and enjoy.

Edit: P.S. i recommend you also Loctite or use good lock nuts on the bolts holding your plastic mount to the rack. I have had those vibrate loose on more than one occasion. Over tightening just bends the mounting brackets.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
I used a Givi box on my Yamaha Fazer and have even been up over 200km/hr. No real problems.

I agree with Silverhawk; I had the nuts/bolts come loose a few times. I used rubber inserts which fixed the problem. Loctite would be just as good.

Garet

Nov 25, 2010
SilverhawkUSA;266089 wrote:
Edit: P.S. i recommend you also Loctite or use good lock nuts on the bolts holding your plastic mount to the rack. I have had those vibrate loose on more than one occasion. Over tightening just bends the mounting brackets.

I used the three screws that came with the case to mount the plastic to my rack. I've been 500KM on this trip so far and I've checked that the screws are still tight. Maybe I'll feel better if I add two or three more screws. See the photo to see if the mount looks sturdy.

What is Loctite?

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Looking at your photos, it looks like you have already used nylon locknuts. You should be fine. However, I believe the Givi usually comes with 4 mounting brackets and I only see 3 in your photo. If you have 4, use them all (to spread the support).

266152=1780-loctite.jpg
Loctite is used by most mechanics. It is a liquid you apply to the threads before attaching a bolt. It helps prevent loosening from vibration. It is available in most hardware type stores in Thailand. I usually find it in the blue bottle. ("Google is your friend").

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Garet, the GIVI mounting set usually have 4 screws with nuts that have this little PVC insert that prevents loosening (don't know the English word for it), so no problem there. I use the Givi's myself and only experienced that the FJR became unstable with also the sidecases mounted at speeds exceeding 200......anyway that's far above any legal limit and a no-no. With lower speeds on the enduro's, there's no problem at all. Also the crap about 3kgs max. load I never really care about, even the Malaysian made boxes can carry much much more. Cheers, Franz