kAWASAKI 650 OVER HEATING

Mar 4, 2011
HAS ANY BODY WITH A Kawasaki 650 HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THERE BIKE OVERHEATING FOR EXAMPLE THE TEMPERATURE LIGHT COMING ON ?
The temperature light comes on the bike running hot even though there is coolant in the reservoir.
Has any body had a sticky thermostat ?

I saw a KAWASAKI 650 today with the temperature light on but had coolant in the reservoir but you could here it bubbling inside the engine.
After the bike cooled down it ran fine which leads me to think the bike is running hot because of may be a sticky thermostat not letting enough water in to keep the engine cool on a hot day when being driven quick.

Can any one confirm on this problem or had the same problem.

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Check the radiator cap and the seal in there. If the radiator is not sealed properly, the pressure will be too low and the coolant will boil at a much lower temperature. Fairly common problem, and easily fixed. (not the expansion tank cap, the radiator proper)

Mar 4, 2011
Thank you I will try that.
When I know the eventual cause myself I will post it so If any one else has this problem we may have a solution.
Thank you for you in put Deano.

Dec 27, 2007
What year 650?

Just checking because "650" is the new 2012, while "650R" is the older model.

The new 2012 650 has a larger radiator than the older model so definitely should not overheat.

On my 2010 650R I had the temp light come on a few times while stuck in hot Bangkok traffic, but it always went off after the fan kicked in.

I forget what the service manual says, but it's generally a good idea to flush the cooling system every 2 years or so.

If you hear "bubbling" it may indicate there is air in the system which could be the result of a defective radiator cap.

Ride On!

Tony :)

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Tony
Thanks for that info my bike is 2010 model and yes Tony you are right radiator cap.
Apparently Kawasaki have replaced a lot of these it is a common fault with them and I suppose really shows up here in Thailand as its so hot here.
Thanks also Deano you where pretty much spot on.
Yesterday was such a hot day and we where moving quickly up through the mountains and the fault occurred.

Dave