KL-Houay Xai-Vientiane-Ko Samui-KL

Aug 7, 2008
It's been 3 years since I promised myself that I'd make the trek into Laos and the Plain of Jars and I've finally done it now! But if not for the week's harrowing stay in a Bangkok hospital in January this year, I may have continued to procrastinate and dream. I guess when you're given a second chance (or third and fourth) at life, your priorities change and mine's back on course - and on the road.

DSCN0531.png

The long trek up the Kra and towards Laos started on October 22nd and ended on November 15th. After many kms and much needed rest, I finally get to write this trip report and hope that it may be of help to those wishing to cross over into Laos across the Mekong by ferry for the last time (before the Friendship Bridge is up next year at Chiang Khong).

DAY 1 - KL to Hat Yai:
My beloved Zumo 550 had given up the ghost after 5 years of excellent service and I got this new Zumo 350 for the trip. Verdict? Wait for the 2nd generation - a non-biker designed the software alright .....

DSCN0483.png

Hat Yai remains a favourite stop of Malaysian and Singaporean bikers riding further north as its about 500 kms from the Malaysian capital, a long and somewhat monotonous ride along the North-South highway. My favourite hotel, as it is with most other Malaysian bikers, is the Grand Plaza. It used to be the case that if you turned up at reception with your helmet on that you'd get a special discounted rate of Baht 690 but no more. The rate's gone up and helmet or otherwise, you get the same stuffy room at less value now!

DSCN0090.png
DSCN0082.png

I like Hat Yai - it's laid-back, cheap-ish and there's plenty of good food:

DSCN0156.png
DSCN0154.png

DAY 2 - Hat Yai to Chumphon
There's no escaping the monsoon at this time of the year along the Kra. And there is no worse feeling than that creeping coldness making its way into your pants and boots. You can of course stop by at any one of the numerous stalls or restaurants along the way and err .... have an Ice-Tea or Char Nom Yen(?):

DSCN0562.png

DSCN0543.png
DSCN0544.png

For Malaysian bikers, the price of fuel in Thailand is almost twice that in Malaysia. And it's Gasohol 95. But I were to discover later that Shell now has full RON95, labelled as V-Power!!

DSCN0573.png

Chumphon is not one of my favourite towns along the Kra but its a convenient half-way point before you reach Bangkok. There is a night market but other than that its pretty quiet. But this time around I did some homework and found this really nice hotel to stay at for a change - Hotel Nanaburi. Good reviews on the Web.

DSCN0588.png
DSCN0576.png

DSCN0607.png

DSCN0615.png

DAY 3: Chumphon to Hua Hin:
The rain is persistent and unrelenting and the decision is made to stop at Hua Hin for the night. Maybe the beach will bring out the sun and a chance to dry out. I'm getting a bit tired of peering out of my helmet through the spray and muck thrown up by the increasing number of lorries heading for Bangkok. The condition of the road is also deteriorating and there are lot more potholes to be avoided making it really tiring and hazardous. I don't remember the road being in this bad a condition but I'm guessing that the rains are to blame for this.

Aree's House was the chosen abode for the night and it turned out to be an excellent choice.

DSCN0641.png
DSCN0642.png

DSCN0644.png

DSCN0663.png

DSCN0651.png

After a long day's ride, it's nice to leave the bike and walk around a bit. This hotel is very near the seafood restaurants along the pier, night markets and action but yet a street away from the noise. And unlike most cheap hotels in Thailand, there's breakfast!

DAY 4 - Hua Hin to Nakhon Sawan
The rain is threatening to come down again but I'm told that magically, it will stop once north of Bangkok. Well it'd better as my boots are beginning to stink and the plastic rain-gear is suffocating. There is always this perennial question with rain-gear: to leave on or not to leave on? Maybe tis better to suffer the sweat and stink of impermeability than to shiver and shrivel in the dampness of a vented vest .....

The journey north is carefully planned to skirt around Bangkok but all the same traffic starts to build as I ride along the outskirts of the capital. As prophesied, the sun appears and does so with a vengeance. How I now wish for the soothing rain! Can't win can you.

DSCN0799.png

Eventually, the GPS takes me towards Nakhon Sawan and to the curiously named Bonito Chinos Hotel. Another great find and one of the best dining experiences (rooftop restaurant, no less) I've had in Thailand.

DSCN0760.png

DSCN0763.png

DSCN0759.png

DSCN0773.png

DAY 5 - Nakhon Sawan to Chiang Mai
Just two stops away from the border now and spirits are lifting. It's been a hard and sometime dull ride to date and the persistent rain has not helped. But it's Chiang Mai today and a planned 2-day stop before tackling Laos should do wonders.

On the way out of Nakhon Sawan, I discover Shell and V-Power - hooray!!! The recommended fuel rating for the Ducati Multistrada is RON97, so this was a fantastic discovery, albeit at RON95. Better than nothing.

DSCN0782.png

This kitty was in the shop at the petrol station - not for sale, though.

DSCN0805.png

The road to Chiang Mai is a bit patchy in places but if you keep to the bike lane you may get some consistent smooth pavement. That is if the lorries are not there first!

I stayed at this hotel (Nice Mum Lodge) in Chiang Mai, found by chance as I was trying to navigate with the "intelligent' Zumo. Plenty of parking space and clean simple rooms for decent money (and apparently quite popular with bikers):

DSCN0823.png

P1110548.png

P1110554.png

P1110565.png

And this time, it's off to the Rider's Corner for a copy of the GT Rider Laos map (which turned out to be an outdated edition; bought a current one in Vientiane):

DSCN0858.png

DSCN0862.png

It was like the Gods were looking down from above:

DSCN0865.png

DAY 7 - Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong
I decided to head for Chiang Khong for a night's stay and to reccy the place a bit before tackling the crossing the following day. The GPS set a route I hadn't been on before but it was well worth it (road #116). Brilliant windy roads and by chance, I came across this beautiful restaurant for brunch:

DSCN0932.png

DSCN0942.png

DSCN0953.png

Can't recall the name of the place but its worth looking for it. And after a pleasant ride, it's Chiang Khong and just beyond, the country I had ridden so far to see:

DSCN1028.png

DAY 8 - Chiang Khong to Luang Namtha
Stayed at the Green Inn - cheap, clean and convenient and along the main strip. Can't miss it, its next to the 7-11, the only one in town.

DSCN1053.png

The relevant points of interest are all nearby. I had posted the GPS numbers elsewhere on this site earlier.

DSCN1058.png

DSCN1072.png

The ferry ticket office is on the right hand side of the ferry crossing:

DSCN1104.png

DSCN1077.png

The local chicks loved the Duc:

DSCN1098.png

Getting on the ferry was ... tricky. I had to have 4 guys push the Duc through the mud and from tipping over!

DSCN1108.png

DSCN1101.png

DSCN1114.png

Row, row, row your boat:

DSCN1125.png

And on the other side:

DSCN1127.png

DSCN1130.png

The Duc has landed. And then the administrative stuff begins. Must have taken at least 2 hours to sort out all the paperwork - mainly due to the wait for the insurance person from AGL to turn up - who never did:

DSCN1136.png

Gave up waiting after an hour by the pier and headed into town, chanting in my head, "right, right, right" - that I had to be on the right side of the road in Laos. After inquiring at several shops, finally found one that would issue insurance for the bike - Laos-Thai Insurance - I think.

As I was taking a breather, a grizzly chap stops and commends the bike and says that he had not seen nor expected to see a Ducati here. Turns out that Neil and his partner Clarissa have been biking in South East Asia having flown their bikes from Down Under. Here's their blog: http://whatwouldulike2do.blogspot.com/

DSCN1150.png

It's always nice to meet other travellers on the road, especially if they're bikers. Always a story or another to tell. After about an hour's worth of chat and ice-tea, I decided that I'd better move on or risk being on the road at night in unfamiliar territory. But I needn't have worried, the road was in fine condition - the only road in Laos in that state - and the ride into Luang Namtha was easy.

DSCN1153.png

DSCN1219.png

DSCN1196.png

Had a quick stop along the way but was not too sure about what was on the barby though:

DSCN1221.png

DSCN1213.png

DSCN1214.png

After a wonderful ride through the mountains and some fine weather, Luang Namtha appeared just before sunset. As recommended, this was the hotel for the night:

DSCN1245.png

One thing I did find a bit strange was coming down to the lobby at about 11pm only to find it pitch black. And the main doors appeared locked. I guess there is a curfew in certain towns in Laos ....

DAY 9 - Luang Namtha to Nong Kiau
I wake up to a cold morning. There's mist and it must be about 25c or less:

DSCN1264.png

The hotel does not do breakfast but the restaurant next door does. It's called the Forest Retreat's Bamboo Lounge and they do seriously big hearty breakfasts:

DSCN1256.png

It's run by a young couple from New Zealand, Karen and Andre, and they apparently do wood-fired pizzas too. Whilst there I got chatting to a couple and turns out that they are parents of Karen. The father happens to be one of the biggest collector of antique motorcycles in New Zealand and knew Burt Munro of the World's Fastest Indian fame:

DSCN1258.png

I also got chatting to one of the hotel's staff. Interesting chap and speaks English quite fluently. Especially when it comes to politics and the state of world affairs! He aspires to be a politician or government official. And he insisted on not smiling for the photo ... more officious I guess ...

DSCN1260.png

DAY 10 - Luang Namtha to Nong Kiau
The original destination of the day was Oudomxay. I had planned for no more than 150km or so a day to enable a slower and more enjoyable ride. As it turned out, the ride HAD to be slow on account of lorries bearing down on or coming towards you. They're mainly lorries from China and there are quite a few:

DSCN1448.png

DSCN1449.png

It was often the case that I'd be lulled by the scenery and waving kids that I'd fail to spot or hear the on-coming traffic. The traffic on these roads is sporadic. So you'll have the road to yourself for 20 minutes or so without anything else and then suddenly, an express coach has rounded the corner and headed straight towards you! The bus driver is probably as shocked to find you on the road as you are! So honk, and keep on ... bugling?

DSCN1388.png

I bump into one of the lorry drivers at a restaurant and though we may have cursed at each other on the road earlier, all was cordial and peaceful now:

DSCN1426.png

Eventually, after quite a pleasant but dull ride, I get to Oudomxay. And then decide to move on:

DSCN1476.png

Oudomxay is yet another single-strip Lao town and as it was only mid-day, I decided to head off for the very promising Nong Kiau instead. Not more than 10 minutes out of town and I come to a fork in the road and a sign that points to Luang Prabhang and this:

DSCN1485.png

and then more of the same:

DSCN1494.png

DSCN1496.png

for the remaining 110km of sheer pain and hell!! (IMHO much worse than Poipet to Siem Reap pre-paved road). It took another 5 hours or so to get to Nong Kiau and it was sunset by the time I got in. Wasn't sure about the bike but I sure felt broken that day!

P1110669.png

DAY 11 - Nong Kiau to Luang Prabhang
Woke up the next day to this magnificent view:

DSCN1527.png

And this, taken from the balcony of the hotel room:

P1110682.png

P1110695.png

P1110685.png

P1110718.png

Breakfast at the hotel (Nong Kiau Riverside) is nothing short of spectacular (the view, not the eggs):

P1110729.png

P1110743.png

P1110722.png

After such a hard ride the day before I contemplated staying on for another night to rest and explore the area a bit. Unfortunately, this very popular hotel was booked up and the Duc had to be moved on again. Parking and entry to the hotel is not fantastic and hopefully they would have paved it up by now. Or sometime. The pic is not great but you get the idea ...

DSCN1530.png

P1110757.png

No matter what photo I look at to post, none do justice to the sheer splendour of the place. Here's my best selection:

DSCN1544.png

DSCN1546.png

Definitely in my books as the most picturesque and stunning place in Laos.

After the trial of the previous day, I was quite worried about the day's ride. The Duc had seemingly passed the "enduro" test but I wasn't sure I did. It's so stressful and exhausting to have to focus so intensely for hours on end and perhaps I should have built more rest days into the ride. But time is always a premium and when you're this far down the road (excuse the pun), you've just got to push on. After all, to stop now would mean cutting another day out somewhere else and what a waste that would be.

As it turned out, nothing matched the sheer challenge of the previous day's ride to Nong Kiau. It was back to "civilisation" with kids, pigs and wild express buses on the road again - normality if you like.

DSCN1626.png

DSCN1571.png

It wasn't always perfect though and you have to be prepared that the next corner will throw up more "potholes":

DSCN1597.png

DSCN1596.png

But as you near Luang Prabhang, the road and scenery gets better and better:

DSCN1679.png

DSCN1662.png

I reach the outskirts of LP in the late afternoon and I must confess to being slightly underwhelmed at this point. UNESCO World Heritage site? Looked to me like any other Laos town. But never judge a book by its cover and neither a town at first glance. As the GPS took me nearer toward the river, the charm and unique feel of LP began to show itself. I'll just let the photos do the talking:

DSCN1700.png

P1110802.png

DSCN1732.png

P1110808.png

P1120024.png

I stayed at this nice colonial styled house in LP - Viengsavanh Hotel. For the price of USD30 a night, you get a bit of luxury.

DSCN1702.png

DSCN1703.png

DSCN1710.png

DSCN1713.png

As luck would have it and because of the booked-out hotel in Nong Kiau, I got into LP at just the right time. It was Lai Heur Fai Nam/Loy Krathong and LP was in full swing for it! There was a real sense of merriment and fun in the air - brilliant timing and bonus:

P1110811.png

P1110813.png

DSCN1744.png

DSCN1743.png

As the sun sets, the krathongs are paraded down the main street to be judged:

P1110895.png

P1110890.png

P1110886.png

Even the Wat (Wat That Luang) is lit up:

P1110879.png

P1110872.png

There's a really nice laid-back feel to LP. Nothing's ever rushed, no one harried.
P1120049.png

DSCN1861.png

P1120062.png

Oh and try the baguette and bakeries:

DSCN1761.png

DSCN1781.png

The Duc however, did not survive Luang Namtha to Nong Kiau after all. The forks and oil coolant hose were leaking and a quick check on this forum led me to this man - "Lea", to have the Duc seen to:

DSCN1807.png
DSCN1798.png

This is his mom. She was on a visit from the United States having moved over almost 25 years ago. She had quite a distinct American twang!
DSCN1782.png

The garage used to be on ground level but has since been converted by Lea's daughter into a nice restaurant. The garage is now by the side and under the restaurant:

DSCN1791.png
DSCN1793.png
P1110939.png

DAY 13 - Luang Prabhang to Phonsavan
I was quite reluctant to leave LP. It was so nice just to chill out by the river and doing, well, nothing, really. The idea of getting on the bike brought memories of That Day and what of poor Duc? Will it spring a leak again? Or worse, break something? But life never stands till now does it and a journey is not one if you don't continue. With a heavy heart, I left LP in the early morning, creeping out through its sleepy streets and out toward the mountains again. Today, it shall be Phonsavan, the Plain of Jars and what I had waited to see for so long. I hoped that it would not disappoint.

The mist and cold of morning wakes me up and as the Duc climbs the mountains, the road opens out to more beautiful and spectacular scenery. The pictures again don't do it justice:

DSCN1887.JPG

DSCN1900.png

DSCN1925.png

Occasionally, you'll see cyclists, climbing up these mountains - give mine an engine any day, thank you:

DSCN1950.png

and there is a lot of mountain to climb:

DSCN1962.png

and lorries to fight:

DSCN1964.png

But the road to Phonsavan is paved and in wonderful condition. All my fears evaporate and I relax into the ride. There was even time to hand out sweets to the children. But if you do choose to stop by a school to do so, expect the WHOLE school to come rushing down the hill for the sweets. Pictures of mobbing not available for obvious reasons:

DSCN1999.png

Ok, the road to Phonsavan was not entirely paved:

DSCN2001.png

Oh yes, fuel in Laos - its RON91. Live with it. And bring along some fuel additives. Don't know if it worked but the Duc felt fine, if a little hot.

DSCN2031.png

How do you know if you are near the Plains? This gives you a clue:

DSCN2071.png

DSCN2072.png

It was an easy ride into Phonsavan and I arrived at about 3pm. Since there was enough daylight I made my way to Site 1, which is about 10km or less from town. Was I impressed? Was it worth all the planning? Let me say that you need to allow it to sink in. So sit around for a bit and let your imagination run wild a bit.

DSCN2108.png

DSCN2118.png

P1120108.png

P1120118.png

P1120126.png

DAY 14 - Phonsavan to Vang Vieng
I guess having seen the jars at Site 1, you've seen them all and a visit to the remaining main sites of 2 and 3 seemed unnecessary. So in the wee hours of the morning, I decided to not so silently ride the Duc out of town. But perhaps and in hindsight, I should have waited. At 6am, the thermometer showed 14C - that's right, standing still. What would it be on the move and wind-chill and all that on the road? Well I had prepared myself and brought along the inner lining to my jacket.

What greeted me on the road was blinding mist and freezing rain. And on-coming traffic:

DSCN2182.png

DSCN2187.png

Tip: wait for the sun to rise. There's no point in freezing your gonads off.

And when the sun shines, there are some great views of the karst mountains at this look-out point:

DSCN2233.png

DSCN2240.png

And you may also bump into people who go overland around the world in modified trucks at such places. This is the guy from Team Orix from Switzerland, who speaks no English but through a smattering of pidgin Spanish, German, Italian, we manage to understand each other. And recognise in the other, the spirit of adventure that we share:

DSCN2255.png

DSCN2248.png

But sadly, the road to Vang Vieng is not as glorious as the views:

P1120193.png
P1120199.png

Eventually you will arrive at Vang Vieng and be prepared for this:

DSCN2327.png

But if you go further into town and along the river you will find more appealing and soothing views. And if you're lucky, a hotel that looks onto it:

P1120263.png

P1120213.png

P1120246.png

P1120208.png

P1120269.png

DSCN2316.png

P1120266.png

The local kids know how to cool off and have fun around here. Let's do some spear-fishing!

P1120327.png

P1120363.png

P1120387.png

And if you fancy, you could go up on a balloon for a view:
DSCN2383.png

And if you're into tubing, binge-drinking and drugs then Vang Vieng is the place for you. I liked the place, it was beautiful and if I was 20 years younger, I may have appreciated it twice as much. But sadly and in all honesty, if I were to dive into the river, I'm more likely to be mistaken for one of those tubes and be set on my way down river ...

DAY 16 - Vang Vieng to Vientiane
The sojourn into Laos is almost over and today the capital city is to be the last destination in this beautiful country. The road to Vientiane is as reported pretty rough and heavy going:

DSCN2442.png

The heavy-machinery was out to fix it and maybe by the time of this post, it'd be somewhat better:

DSCN2434.png

The road improves considerably as you near Vientiane and you can get up to fairly reasonable speeds. Especially if you tail a run-away lorry with-a-mission:

DSCN2484.png

It was less of arriving in Vientiane as much as being sucked into its chaos - jarring to the senses if you've just spent the last week in the serene mountains and countryside of the North:
DSCN2491.png

Vientiane was all prim and proper for the ASEM meeting and security was tight:
DSCN2517.png

But by the river and promenade, it was all nice and quiet other than the occasional blaring siren of some foreign VIP cavalcade:
P1120421.png

Vientiane has been called the most relaxed capital in the world and I can now understand why:

DSCN2592.png

P1120446.png

P1120428.png

P1120449.png

There's even a restaurant named to that effect:

P1120436.png

DAY 17 - Until the next time
Today, I head for the Friendship Bridge and back into Thailand before heading south towards KL again. This will take another week and hopefully the rains would have stopped (it didn't) by now. But no trip to Vientiane is complete without going around the Patuxai, the Arc de Triomphe of the East before heading south. I shall miss this beautiful country and people.

DSCN2638.png

The Friendship Bridge:

DSCN2689.png