KLX250S rear spring so soft

Apr 3, 2011
I wonder if I'm the only one to complain about the really soft rear suspension on the KLX250.
I'm about 85kg in gear, and I find the suspension sag to be too much. If I put a passenger on the back, even a 45kg passenger, the chain hits the rubber roller on any small bump, and the headlight starts lighting up the trees above the road instead of the road itself.
Any affordable options of stiffer rear springs? I noticed the D-Tracker 250's rear spring has one less coil than the KLX250's, and is stiffer. Wonder if that's a good option.

Apr 3, 2011
Ian Bungy;296215 wrote: Shock is adjustable so just wind up the Spring to Suit Yourself?
Unfortunately, changing spring preload adjusts sag but doesn't change the spring rate.

Aug 29, 2011
Send an email to John at Moto Pro Suspension ([email protected]) USA.

He worked out exactly what I needed for a spongy soft D-Tracker (KLX-SF) for my 100kg weight & even powder coated it red for me. It was 7.4kg/mm for my bike & he did a set of fork springs for me as well. Totally transformed the bikes handling! The KLX is ridiculously under sprung for anyone over 60kg IMO.

You can pay by bank transfer or Paypal with quick USPS postal service. I had the spring fitted within 14 days of paying. Expect to pay about $100usd per end. :thumbup:

PS. Don't waste anytime with YSS Thailand.....absolutely clueless bunch! :wtf:

Apr 3, 2011
Hey Joel! Great info, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. $100 per end is very reasonable, how much were the shipping costs to Thailand?

Aug 29, 2011
heilong;299847 wrote: Hey Joel! Great info, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for. $100 per end is very reasonable, how much were the shipping costs to Thailand?
I'm trying to remember the exact figures for you but my receipts are at another location at the moment. The whole package front & rear including 25usd for red powder coating & USPS postage was $300usd, so I think postage was about 45-50usd.

Why Kawasaki under sprung the KLX to such a ridiculous softness is a mystery to me! The KYB forks & fully adjustable rear shock both benefit immensely from heavier duty springs & simply transform the bike.