Kuala Lumpur to Ko Lanta

Oct 30, 2010
This was another good ride full of "adventure" ... pit stops, night ride, mountain crossing, sea crossing, off roading all rolled into 3D 2N and 1730km. This ride took place mid July 2012.

We left rv at midnite as scheduled and rode the NS highway all the way to Changlun. Of course the adventure bit started a bit early on the ride as we had to make a pit stop in Ipoh for supper and also to remove my hugger as it was rubbing on my new tires. So after a quick fix and with the hugger stowed away we rode on reaching Changlun around 5:30am. We did our forex, immigration forms and insurance and after a short breakfast we headed to Wang Kelian where we did our border crossing ..

6d873a3a.jpg

2440176d.jpg

b97538a2.jpg

The ride from Changlun to Wang Kelian border crossing is an excellent ride passing through sugar cane plantations and the Timah Tasoh dam further north. From Timah Tasoh the route takes us across a mountain range before descending to the border post. Doing this stretch in the early hours of the morning is like being in MHS in December ... absolutely fantastic views.

Since this was a minor border crossing the post is only opened at 8:00am Malaysian time.

Oct 30, 2010
We rode the secondary roads towards Krabi district but we got a drenching shortly after the border crossing.

[imghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g434/Rob7711/Ko%20Lanta%202012/d2eafd5c.jpg][/img]

41daf02b.jpg

c9b576d5.jpg

At our fav kind of pitstop ... iced blended mochas!

Oct 30, 2010
We made 2 ferry crossings first to little lanta and then to big lanta all for the price of 70bht one way ..

e2f090bb.jpg

0b74bdbb.jpg

Arriving on little lanta we then took a short ride to the other side of the island for the next ferry ride to big lanta

699585f9.jpg

8e625cf4.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
Arriving at Big Lanta we went searching for a suitable hotel for our 2 nights stay finally settling on Southern Lanta Resort. Quite a few resorts were closed for maintenance as this was the off season so we practically had the resort and the island to ourselves!

9ebd24f8.jpg

cb8166a5.jpg

644522ac.jpg

281dc764.jpg

5ca1dc5b.jpg

1cb11dac.jpg

46c48b00.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
Then it was onto the beach. That evening we were blessed with a beautiful sunset ...

2109de4b.jpg

34d94296.jpg

1a8cb5e4.jpg

a25b74d0.jpg

26f57b40.jpg

fffbebf8.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
That night we headed into Saladan town for a delicious sea food dinner ..

14585eb1.jpg

572608e9.jpg

c421fa30.jpg

7f9b1871.jpg

9f009274.jpg

e6ef3767.jpg

7e570c49.jpg

Sorry about the food pics if it has got you all hungry ... :)

Oct 30, 2010
We spent the next day just touring the entire island and sightseeing. The paved roads are in good condition as is the norm all over thailand and views were excellent ...

342997f9.jpg

408fcd6d.jpg

92181551.jpg

It's obvious here that one of the monkeys need to go back to school for a refresher course!

53d24c28.jpg

9b6154ac.jpg

fa5e071f.jpg

a905bfb4.jpg

d85f3f42.jpg

074a86c5.jpg

Nice cup!

aef4b886.jpg

565e4453.jpg

f3b3e127.jpg

26a0053c.jpg

3605c58b.jpg

d498c508.jpg

Jul 18, 2009
Hi Rob , its a pity you didnt allow a few extra days for the trip. Koh Lanta is a great place to visit. On a previous trip report you were riding a 1400 Concourse , have you changed over to Versys now ? They seem to be really popular in Malaysia

Oct 30, 2010
schackster;281741 wrote: Hi Rob , its a pity you didnt allow a few extra days for the trip. Koh Lanta is a great place to visit. On a previous trip report you were riding a 1400 Concourse , have you changed over to Versys now ? They seem to be really popular in Malaysia
Hi Gary ... I still have the GTR1400 for fast runs and a HD Road King for leisurely cruising. We bought the Versys for our year end Laos trip this year. Had a bad experience on my GTR1400 during our last ride to Cambodia due to the poor road conditions there. We expect Laos to be similar or worse so a lighter bike would be better. The Versys is about the cheapest "big" bike over here due to it being CKD and frankly quite a fun bike.

Jan 16, 2010
Thanks for posting some amazing pics, especially the sunsets from Klong Dao with Phi-Phi on the horizon. Remembering the ferries onto the island made me smile. They squeezed our bike into an impossibly small space, but we got on.

Oct 30, 2010
jackdaw;282101 wrote: Thanks for posting some amazing pics, especially the sunsets from Klong Dao with Phi-Phi on the horizon. Remembering the ferries onto the island made me smile. They squeezed our bike into an impossibly small space, but we got on.
Glad that the sunshine and beach brought back warm memories for you bro. Cheers!

Aug 3, 2012
rob7711;281695 wrote: ....we rode on reaching Changlun around 5:30am. We did our forex, immigration forms and insurance and after a short breakfast we headed to Wang Kelian where we did our border crossing ..

Since this was a minor border crossing the post is only opened at 8:00am Malaysian time.
Hello,
I am planning a trip into Thailand from Penang with a Malaysian registered bike and would prefer to avoid Highway 4 and Hat Yai - I don't much like crowds!
So: You can process exit paperwork (including Thai bike insurence) from Malaysia at Changlun and proceed to Wang Kelian to enter Thailand?
Cheers and thanks in advance,
Vic (AKA: Ah boon)

Oct 30, 2010
Vic Alborn;290177 wrote: Hello,
I am planning a trip into Thailand from Penang with a Malaysian registered bike and would prefer to avoid Highway 4 and Hat Yai - I don't much like crowds!
So: You can process exit paperwork (including Thai bike insurence) from Malaysia at Changlun and proceed to Wang Kelian to enter Thailand?
Cheers and thanks in advance,
Vic (AKA: Ah boon)
That is correct. Wang Kelian is pretty small and not being too familiar with the place so we did all our immigration card, insurance and forex at changlun before heading out to Wang Kelian. You can ride the B roads from there to Ko Lanta and avoid the boring highway this way. Hope this helps. Cheers.

Nov 14, 2012
rob7711;290198 wrote: That is correct. Wang Kelian is pretty small and not being too familiar with the place so we did all our immigration card, insurance and forex at changlun before heading out to Wang Kelian. You can ride the B roads from there to Ko Lanta and avoid the boring highway this way. Hope this helps. Cheers.
hi there...i m also from penang...drop me a line...perhaps i can assist in some ways...been the wang kelian numerous times...nice n windy roads...simply beautiful...

Aug 3, 2012
Hello tehsk30,
Thanks for your kind offer of help.
My only (small) problem now is the motorcycle forms. I would like to fill them out ahead of time.
I went to the Thai consulate here in Penang and have the visa aplcation form and I plan to present that this morning.
I asked for the motorcycle forms but they didn't know/didn't want to know what I was asking!
Unfortunately, downloading and printing is not an option as a printer is not something one wants to carry when travelling!!
Maybe I can download to a data stick then find a photo shop? - or fill them out at Changlun (or Wang Kelian??)
What do you do?
Cheers,
Ah boon

Nov 14, 2012
for malaysian regitered bike, i normally go to changloon....stop to have breakfast and pass the shop to do all the paperwork...i.e. immigration card,insurance...change THB ... Then the ride to wang kelian est 1/2 only....free n easy. the coffee shop opens from 6am if i m not mistaken. call me if u need further.happy ride my fren :)

Oct 30, 2010
Vic Alborn;290205 wrote: Hello tehsk30,
Thanks for your kind offer of help.
My only (small) problem now is the motorcycle forms. I would like to fill them out ahead of time.
I went to the Thai consulate here in Penang and have the visa aplcation form and I plan to present that this morning.
I asked for the motorcycle forms but they didn't know/didn't want to know what I was asking!
Unfortunately, downloading and printing is not an option as a printer is not something one wants to carry when travelling!!
Maybe I can download to a data stick then find a photo shop? - or fill them out at Changlun (or Wang Kelian??)
What do you do?
Cheers,
Ah boon
For a Malaysian registered vehicle all you need to do as far as paperwork is concerned is to bring along your vehicle registration card and your passport. There are no forms for you to pre-fill in advance as these are only done by thai customs. (The caveat to this is that you must be the registered owner of the vehicle and there is no lien on the vehicle by others .. meaning financial institution/banks. Otherwise you would need a "no objection" letter from the financial institution/bank to export the vehicle.). Hand these documents to the thai customs and they will key in your vehicle details and print out a duly filled form which is the temporary vehicle import form which you will need to surrender when exiting thailand. As always a nominal "overtime fee" needs to be paid for this which is 20bht or rm2.

Note that this process will get done quicker on your next subsequent border crossing as your vehicle details are now captured on their system and merely needs to be printed out. Don't loose the form or you will face a hefty fine equivalent to the brand new price of the vehicle.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Aug 3, 2012
rob7711: -
Thanks Rob - all my questions answered!

tehsk30: -
I have your number, thanks - so maybe we can meet-up when I get back.

Cheers and ride safe,
Vic

Aug 3, 2012
rob7711;290255 wrote: Have a wonderful trip and ride safely. Do post your rr to share with us. Cheers!
I guess I should start a new "thread"???
As an "oldie" I am not yet competent with sites such as GT-Rider but I will give it a go.
Cheers

Aug 3, 2012
tehsk30;290272 wrote: rider never grow old....just wiser....:)
You are very kind!

My first attempt at a trip report (after much fussing with photo upload) appears on this forum. Your fault - you encouraged me!!:D

Cheers