Lao registered bike Vientiane-Nong Khai Tips?

Ben

Apr 14, 2004
Does anyone know if they can take a Lao registered 250cc privately owned bike with KT plates from Vientiane to Nong Khai? Has it been done before? How? Further tips?

Mar 2, 2005
I lived in Lao for 2 years and I don't think you can do it. The loa gov. requier you to have a int. pasport for you car/bike and they do not issue them for bikes. HOWEVER anything is posable in lao, you just need to figer out how important it is.

Mar 2, 2005
ps What are KT plates? I know there or many types of plates depending on persons status howeverhave never heard any referd to as KT. what colour are they (background and letters) One other interesting querk in lao, you can alwas change the registration type on a car but not an a bike!
Please avoid the chines copys of hondas in lao. they to totaly unraodworthy as quolity is so bad. I had one for running around town and the bars snapped mid breaking. Not good. Came a croper an lost skin. fixed it and sold it the next day.lucky.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ben
I gather the process is difficult to complete.
Stan has never done it, but I hear that Mike Hedemark has a few times.
My only suggestion is to try Joe Rumble & the guys at AVR, as Joe knows the ropes on most things for car rental & vehicle touring in Laos / Indochina.

Davidfl
Keep the power on

Ben

Apr 14, 2004
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for not replying earlier but I actually took it across to Nong Khai the weekend after I had taken it across to Vietnam (12-Feb 2005). No questions asked at either checkpoint. No fuss. Of course both check points have seen my face many times over the last few years travelling by car. I also own the bike in my name. And I did have the vehicle book that I used on the Vietnam trip. But I didn't have to show any registration papers/ ownership papers - although I had these just in case.

So I have taken my XLR 250 into both Vietnam and Thailand. Next year it's Cambodia...but from what I've heard it shouldn't be a problem. After that I'll try China and Myanmar.

There's always more than one way to skin a cat.