Laos - Cambodia border crossing informaton needed

Discussion in 'Cambodia - General Discussion Forum' started by Dodraugen, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Big_Dave

Big_Dave Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    I believe Stung Tren is now closed to foreigners. More info here. Laos border crossing points

bluedot10.gif
    Veun Kham - Dong Kralor (Champasak Prov. Laos - Northern Cambodia)

reddot11.gif
    Veun Kham - Stung Treng (river). This checkpoint has been closed, foreigners can no longer the border here.

2. Reddo

Reddo Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'm looking to cross that same border into Laos in a few weeks; so do you think the officials are generally ok and should let me cross? I'm on my own Thai registered bike..

3. Reddo

Reddo Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Big Dave for the info and link.

Just to clarify; there were two checkpoints within a few hundred metres of each other; one is now closed (Stung Treng) but the other, Dong Kralor, is still in operation. From what I understand from your link, the Dong Kralor one is accessible via Highway 7 from Cambodia which changes to Highway 13 in Laos...

4. Jimenator

Jimenator Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    @
    From the accounts I've been reading, if crossing from Cambodia to Laos, you should be OK. You may get away with not paying anything like Max did, or you may be hit up for a few dollars because you are "missing" papers they don't give at any border anyway.

Don't try coming the other way i.e. Laos to Cambodia, that could be problematic. In any case, due to the difficulties entering Laos by motorcycle from Thailand (and increasingly also, Vietnam) it's much better entering Laos from Cambodia where I have not heard there being any issues entering Laos by bike. You may then leave Laos for Thailand by pretty much any border, although Friendship bridges 2 & 3 may not like you riding across the bridge.

5. Reddo

Reddo Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for this post Jimenator...

My only worry is that I would need to organise a visa for Laos as I've heard they won't do visa on arrival at this border - and also still not 100% sure they will let me through as there have been plenty of recent posts about not letting Thai bikes into Laos at all borders (except for huay Xai).

I've decided to change my plan and enter Laos at Huay Xai / Chiang Rai province and then work my way around clockwise. If I can't get into Cambodia through Laos I will exit (hopefully) at Chong Mek / border back into Thailand...

Two days till departure from Phuket... fingers crossed!

6. Big_Dave

Big_Dave Ol'Timer

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0

Hi mate, Ive recently tried to enter Cambodia from Laos at this border. They will NOT let you in without a permssion letter from PP....the head customs guy will simply point to the copy of one he has permanently fixed on his desk. ...stupidly,coming the other way is not a problem, but I would suggest you dont watse your time, go out at Chong Mek and go back in at Choam. Anlong Veng is only 20klms across the border and its a very easy crossing.

7. James83

James83 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    hey everyone, update for you as of today (31 Dec 2018). I plan to enter Laos from Cambodia at Stung Treng border.

I visited the Laos Embassy in Phnom Penh and the guy there said it was possible and I just needed this form which he showed me. He said it was $20. I said it was more expensive than I wanted to pay and he immediately halved it to $10, which I accepted. I will let you know if it works.

It did mean I had to give a date I wanted to enter Laos, which I didn't want to do as I prefer to plan day by day, but I wanted (some) reassurance I could get through. Will let you know how I go.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reddo

Reddo Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Good luck!

9. Reddo

Reddo Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Good luck!

10. James83

James83 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    So today I crossed from ‘scam’bodia to Laos at stung trung.

Had to pay $30 for ‘bike papers’ and a $2 stamp fee on the Cambodia side, and then $5 bike fee and $2 stamp on Laos side.

There were four of us with bike and we had no other option and he wouldn’t negotiate.

Apparently a day before my hotel said someone was rejected.

Good luck to anyone attempting it!

• Like Like x 2