Laos & Cambodia in August

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Can anybody advise me on what road & particularly weather and riding conditions to expect riding in Laos & Cambodia in August.
The plan is to take my 13 year old son with me on a GS1200 to Pakse and then south to the islands at Muang Khong before heading over the Cambodia border to Stung Treng and on to Siem Reap. Is there a shorter motorable road from the Laotian border to Siem Reap thereby missing out Stung Treng?
Advice on timings [would this trip be better left for Christmas or Easter next year]. Also on routes and places to stay would be much appreciated.
ATB
Rhodie

Hovis

Jan 28, 2006
Hi Rodie, Your bike is OK for most of Cambodias main roads, but forget about Stung Treang-- Siem Reap in the middle of the rainy season. It's a hard day work on a offroad bike in the dry season. You can go down to Kg Cham and from there to Sieam Reap via Kg Thom, doable year around on any bike.

Good luck

Scandinavian riders Banlung

Rhodie

Mar 5, 2006
Cheers Hovis.
Can you advise on which Laos Cambodia crossing I should aim for.
Also what paperwork I would need bringing a Thai registered bike into Cambodia -and Laos if you know as well.
ATB
Rhodie

Nov 23, 2005
Hi Rhodie,
Normaly in August there is less rain than in Sep. Usually, 1-2 hours in PM. But, you never know in advance! Be adviced that Cambodian visa is not available at the border crossing on the Pakse- Stung Streng road. Visit of the 4000 island Mekhong fall is great at that time of the year.
You will need to check the situation regarding crossing border between Thai and Lao with thai registered bike, as there is some problem now, but only at Nong Khai at this time. Other crossing seems to stay OK.
Normally only the bike registration book is enough if it is on your name.
Bring some small US$ cash banknote with you for rural Cambodia.
Enjoy Laos and Cambodia
Philippe

pH

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
PHILIPPE
I think that you are wrong Cambodia visas are available on the road between Pakse-Stung Treng but not Laos visas. No problems to cross the border in either direction. I have crossed it 3 times this year last time 1.5 month ago. Angkor Wat-Stung Treng the shortest route on the map is quite bad even in dry season Do not try it in August. HIKO

hiko