Laos Highway 4

Dec 28, 2013
Hello folks;

Currently in Luang Prabang, ending our mini tour of Laos. I have a question, after hearing the Huay Xai crossing faff we want to use the border south of Pak Beng instead. From Luang Prabang the best route is down the Highway 4 then cross the Mekong at Muang Thadua. Has anyone done this river crossing? Is it just little canoes or a slightly bigger vehicle boat? I know the crossing at Pak Beng is fairly major but going that way is a 300km D-tour and I can just cut across this way.

Many thanks
Oli

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
I think you will find that the "Sayabouly" bridge over the Mekong at Tha Dua / Pak khon has been open for awhile now.

https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/39082-A-Mekong-Promenade-Part-5-Xayaboury-Laos-west-of-the-Mekong

296384=18380-bridge.jpg

12 October 2013 was the official, opening date I think.

Dec 28, 2013
Thank you very much for the info David. Much appreciated, the bridge should make our lives much easier.

All the best,
Oli

Dec 28, 2013
Just thought I should add a bit of info since I keep taking it all the time :)

Road 4 was fine from Luang Prabang to Xayabouri, with some road works to keep it interesting. Then Road 4A or R108 (depending on which map) towards the border (south of Pakbeng) was generally OK (take a right turn just before Xayabouri), typical Laos backroad narrow and potholes, water damage but nothing too major. After Hongsa power station the road becomes 3 lanes and brand new. We stayed in a guesthouse near the border village..noodle soup is great at the market.... also bumped in to Jurgen (some of you may know) in the morning who was heading back into Thailand.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
olionel;296537 wrote: Just thought I should add a bit of info since I keep taking it all the time :)

Road 4 was fine from Luang Prabang to Xayabouri, with some road works to keep it interesting. Then Road 4A or R108 (depending on which map) towards the border (south of Pakbeng) was generally OK (take a right turn just before Xayabouri), typical Laos backroad narrow and potholes, water damage but nothing too major. After Hongsa power station the road becomes 3 lanes and brand new. We stayed in a guesthouse near the border village..noodle soup is great at the market.... also bumped in to Jurgen (some of you may know) in the morning who was heading back into Thailand.

Good to know everything worked out ok & you're having a good time.
If you've got any photos or other tips to share you're most welcome to join in & do so.
Thanks for the feedback.