Laos in May?

Eric

Mar 6, 2003
I will be heading to Laos in May. Riding all over... What should I expect with the weather and road conditions?

Any feedback would be helpful.... Thank you...

~E

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Difficult to say as much depends on when the rainy season starts (normally in May). If the rains are early you could be in for mud in places but otherwise the conditions should be OK. Read up on some of the recent trip reports for Laos to get a better feel of the conditions of the roads in Laos.

Snail

Subscribed
Nov 2, 2005
Cnx
We were there the last two weeks in May last year. Encountered heavy downpours in places but otherwise the riding was quite pleasant. Take some light raingear and just stop if it gets too bad!
Only travelled form Paxaan to Vientianne up to Luang Prabang and back with a side trip out to the Plain of jars. Not a lot of traffic except in Vientianne during "rush hour" late afternoon.

Nov 14, 2004
Hey Eric, lets hear about your planing, what :twisted: route have you mapped out where are you hiring from, have you studdied the Loas map??

Take heaps of pics and post like a bandit, are you going solo, or is it a menage D 1/2 dozen...enjoy
Scott

Eric

Mar 6, 2003
Im working on it... I will definately post it once completed... with more pics than words... ill be there in May... I am open to suggested routes as well...

~E

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
There is a fair chance of rain and over the last few days here, it has been hot and the rain heavy at times with pretty good lightning strikes. A good indicator of roads is the one I live on, it is not paved and a disaster at the moment. In general, this is the best time of year for mud hunting.

Drop me an email and I will try to help out where I can.

jim