Licensing in Thailand

Apr 19, 2007
My girlfriend and I are going to Thailand for a month as of May 7th. We are from the states and have valid drivers licenses. We wanted to rent some bikes and do like a 4 - 5 loop or two. Can we rent bikes with our United States Drivers license? or do we have to go to the PRD and get an international driving permit. Can you get them the day of application? I got a cook island license when i was there 4 years ago and we just took a little behind the wheel test. We actually were thinking of doing some camping in the national parks with the bikes. Good idea or no? Anything would be much appreciated.

daewoo

Dec 6, 2005
You can rent a bike in Thailand as long as you have the hire fee...

see
http://board.gt-rider.com/topic.asp?TOP ... ,mail,Bike
and
Link removed

They will want to keep your passport...

Be aware that most travel insurance doesn't cover you if you are not licenced to ride a motorbike in your country of residence, regardless of the laws in the country you travel to, so if you have a get-off it can be expensive...

Cheers,
Daewoo

Apr 19, 2007
Thanks a lot for the info, its hard to do research with Google from the States. Is it possible to take the bikes through national parks and camp?

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
quote:

Originally posted by o0IslandBlue0o

Thanks a lot for the info, its hard to do research with Google from the States. Is it possible to take the bikes through national parks and camp?

For info on National Parks in Thailand and what is possible in these parks have a look at http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/nationalpark.asp?lg=2 and at http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/howtotravel.asp?lg=2

You can take cars, motorbikes, etc. into National parks but expect to pay a much higher price than what locals do 400 baht for foreigners (about 12 USD) versus 40 or 80 Baht for locals.

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL DRIVING LICENSE WHICH IS VERY EASY TO OBTAIN YOU ONLY PAY LOCAL PRICES IN NATIONAL PARKS AND OTHER DOUBLE PRICING VENUES.hiko

eran1

Sep 6, 2005
good morning hiko
how can i obtain a tahi driving license and how easy it ?
thanks
eran

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
quote:

IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL DRIVING LICENSE WHICH IS VERY EASY TO OBTAIN YOU ONLY PAY LOCAL PRICES IN NATIONAL PARKS AND OTHER DOUBLE PRICING VENUES.hiko

Giving the local price if you have a Thai Drivers License is done at many places as a courtesy. It is not a rule and is not done everywhere. The rule is "foreigners" pay the 400bt. No matter what you do you are still a "foreigner". Usually a smile and little persuading will work, but if they insist that you must pay there is nothing you can do except pay or leave.

Jun 21, 2006
Re camping in National Parks

a few years ago 13 of us rode all around northern thailand, and when we camped in National Parks, those of us that didnt have tents, were able to hire them from the ranger, including sleeping bags as well

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
DAVE.

You maybe correct but at least the 2 last year I have got the local price at all places. I haven"t been smiling but I think our daughter soon 3 years did that well because at some places we even got family rebate....

Eran and oOIslandBlueOo

Captain Slash gave you the requirements but it may differ a little from place to place. Here in Pattaya Chonburi province you get a one year driving licence by presenting:
1.Local residence certificate which you get from immigration and you need a non immigrant visa.
2.An driving license from your home country in english or if not in english a translation with a stamp from your consulate.
3. Medical certificate which you can get from any clinic for about 100 Baht.
4.2 Photos per driving licence (car and motorbike different).
5. If you dont have a driving license or you can not provide an english translation you have to make the theory test and practical test and it is not very difficult but it takes one day.

eran1

Sep 6, 2005
Thanks guys

It was a theoretical question since I don’t live in Thailand.
and my new job had set back my tour plans

I think I just earn my first star (?)
Lucky me