Loobman oiler

Feb 5, 2007
Finally got around to fitting the Loobman oiler that I bought from a forum member some time ago.
Is seems simple enough and nothing to go wrong. All you do is push the button on top and a small amount of oil flows into a secondary chamber and then onto the chain. Your finger controls how much and how often.
I have never owned an oiler before and time will tell how it works and how messy it is. Handy on a bike with no centre stand and a lot easier than trying to use spray by yourself

I am currently using SAE 90 and still looking for chain saw oil

Loobmanoiler.jpg

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
:thumbup:I will go on Monday to Husqvarna and ask! You may also use ATF (automatic transmission fluid)

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Hoghead;294092 wrote: Finally got around to fitting the Loobman oiler that I bought from a forum member some time ago.
Is seems simple enough and nothing to go wrong. All you do is push the button on top and a small amount of oil flows into a secondary chamber and then onto the chain. Your finger controls how much and how often.
I have never owned an oiler before and time will tell how it works and how messy it is. Handy on a bike with no centre stand and a lot easier than trying to use spray by yourself

Loobmanoiler.jpg

Gee when I see this I have to worry that it is in a vulnerable position & unprotected. Doesn't that worry you?

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Hoghead;294092 wrote: I am currently using SAE 90 and still looking for chain saw oil.
The problem with the gear and chain saw oils is that they fling off quickly and also pick up lots of dirt and road grime. Therefore, I used to spend big $$ on cans of the Synthetic Silkolene "Race" chain lube. It stayed in place and lasted for a good 300-400 miles before needing re-apply. Never had a single chain issue and they lasted 20,000 miles at least. Then a respected local tech told me about the DuPont Chain Saver stuff and once I tried it, never went back. About 1/4 the price of the Silkolene and every bit as long lasting. I just spray it on every other tank fill, but I see that it comes in non-aerosol jugs that could be used to fill your auto-oiler. Would be a far better lubricant and pick up far less gunk too. DuPont is about as worldwide as it gets, so I am sure it could be located in Thailand at some motorsports shop or parts distributor.

http://www2.dupont.com/Consumer_Lubricants/en_US/products/chain_saver.html

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
mikerust;294094 wrote: :thumbup:I will go on Monday to Husqvarna and ask! You may also use ATF (automatic transmission fluid)
Just got back from Husqvarna, with a side trip to Honda.

Husqvarna do not have chain/bar oil. They told me use SAE 90. But I think that is a bit thick for Loobman, they say SAE 40.

The problem with the gear and chain saw oils is that they fling off quickly and also pick up lots of dirt and road grime.
Loobman was designed by and is used by high mileage motorcycle couriers. I'm sure if there was a better way they would have found it.

As for getting flung off, I think less is more would be the adage.

ATF because it has additives to keep the seals in a transmission in good condition so I think the theory extends to the O-rings in modern chains

Feb 5, 2007
Loobman site mentions SAE 90 gear oil and that is is recommended by Honda and Tubasaki. Also comments that some dispatch riders use chain saw oil
I have used chain saw oil in Canada and it works fine on a bike
Your mileage may wary

feejer

Feb 16, 2007
Hoghead;294205 wrote: Loobman site mentions SAE 90 gear oil and that is is recommended by Honda and Tubasaki. Also comments that some dispatch riders use chain saw oil
I have used chain saw oil in Canada and it works fine on a bike
Your mileage may wary
I'm sure the gear oil and/or chain saw oil will be fine. Just thought I would mention an alternative that may be a bit cleaner and more likely to stay in place. Whatever works for you, ride on!

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
You already have the chain oiler installed and obviously want to give it a try. I will just throw out an alternative view for those who may be considering it. I have a Scott Oiler installed on my TDM850. Of course they recommend 'their' proprietary oil. I also tried 40w or ATF. I found that on longer rides I had to top up the oiler. Therefore I had to carry or locate a bottle of oil for topping up the oiler. In the long run, I decided if i had to carry extra oil anyway, it was much easier and less messy to just carry an aerosol can of chain lube. Some may argue that the oil being regularly dripped on the chain is better for some reason, but in practice, it never seemed to matter. When stopping for the night, a quick lube of the chain (is it really that difficult to have to push your bike a little or have someone spin the wheel while using the spray?) and it is set for the next mornings ride.

Koala

Oct 24, 2011
I wonder about how bike friendly the auto oilers are? Surely some of those oil drips (especially from the generously adjusted oilers) are sitting on exactly the worst part of the road waiting for a slippery moment from some unsuspecting biker. I'm in total agreement of carrying a small can of spray on and using it every 500-800km.

Ed hansen

Apr 23, 2020
Finally got around to fitting the Loobman oiler that I bought from a forum member some time ago.

View attachment 30051
Sounds great; Where to get this Loobnan oiler ? I assume the mis spelling is intentional ?

Ed hansen

Apr 23, 2020
Loobman/ Where to get this in Chonburi/ Pattaya ? In USA they have a Tutoro auto lube but don't see here The colors on the below do not work; The web site needs fixing to hilight the buttons to press !!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Loobman/ Where to get this in Chonburi/ Pattaya ? In USA they have a Tutoro auto lube but don't see here The colors on the below do not work; The web site needs fixing to hilight the buttons to press !!

The buttons all work for me in both Firefox & Chrome, & can be seen when logged in.
What browser are you using?

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Hi there Guys! All My buttons are visible and working?
By the way I think Chain Oilers are a Waste of Money and dirty Bloody things! Dry Chain Lube or Chain Wax is the best and You only have to do it occasionally. Plus Your Bike stays clean!

Reactions: Deano747

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
The Scot oiler works fine on the AT. 0,5l Scot oil last 5k if I remember correctly and about US 10 for bottle.
The cleaning effect is good.
Screenshot 2020-10-02_08-56-13-893.png

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com

If you roll the mouse over he highlighted grey button, you will see that it pops up "Post To Reply"

GPS-Map025.jpg

Oct 17, 2006
I have used 2 Loobmans on my Ducatis one on an M750 and the other on the S4 in Thailand ,, they are excellent ,, I use 10-40 bike oil chains at least last twice as long ...

Feb 5, 2007

You can have mine for the cost of EMS and a couple of beers

Reactions: DavidFL

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
In theory I have some Loobmans. They are in a box on a farm in Isaan. Will advise when they get up north. Should anyone be interested.