Look for advise on mini bike purchase

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Being a bit far, at present from LOS, I intend when back to buy a mini bike for my 10 year old son but I need your advise on the most relevant and available bikes in Thailand.

This will be his first bike thus I am a bit carefull about what to buy, not too complicated, not to fast, not to powerfull in order the first bike experience would be the right one !

At present, I already have in mind a Kawasaki KSR 110 that's the kind of style he likes (off road) but I wonder if an automatic bike won't be better and maybe a less heavy (KSR = 95 Kg), less "powerfull" one such as a 50 cc bike instead of this 110 cc engine one but still in the same style.

Could you please advise ? Thanks by advance.

Nov 21, 2010
I would think a KSR is too much for 10-year kid. Even at Carefour they are now selling all kind of of small off-the-road bikes (Chinese made). Of course not street legal but who cares as your son is not street legal yet. The Kawa dealer here in Pattaya is also selling some other off-road (not street legal) models.

See http://www.kawasaki.co.th/ka/product.html

Chang Noi

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
My kids are grown up now but when they use to ride motorbikes. My recomendation would be to puchase a 60 to 80cc bike preferbly a manual and hopefully not too fast as he will work it out very quickly how to push it to the max, once his confidence is gained. A manual will make it harder to learn but it has the advantage of controlling the speed better - eg tell him not to go any higher than 2nd gear and so on. A auto bike will have less speed control. I think a KSR110 is too big for a 10 year old unless you can work out a way to restrict it. I have no idea what bikes are available in Thailand, Good Luck

Nov 7, 2007
Azoulay;266962 wrote: Hi Friends,

Being a bit far, at present from LOS, I intend when back to buy a mini bike for my 10 year old son but I need your advise on the most relevant and available bikes in Thailand.

This will be his first bike thus I am a bit carefull about what to buy, not too complicated, not to fast, not to powerfull in order the first bike experience would be the right one !

At present, I already have in mind a Kawasaki KSR 110 that's the kind of style he likes (off road) but I wonder if an automatic bike won't be better and maybe a less heavy (KSR = 95 Kg), less "powerfull" one such as a 50 cc bike instead of this 110 cc engine one but still in the same style.

Could you please advise ? Thanks by advance.

Hi Laurent,

Have also a look at the new introduced Big Bull Bikes. I will have them offered on the Tiger Online Shop ...probably by May.
Here the bikes:

Big Bull King Kong (125cc)
DSCF0941.jpg

Big Bull King Kong ( 125cc - Roadbomber edition)
DSCF0949.jpg

Big Bull Pocky (125cc)
DSCF0954.jpg

Big Bull Rock (125cc)
DSCF0962.jpg

happy trails,

mbox

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Does he want one or do you want one for him?

Having looked before the smallest volume MX bike is the Kawasaki. I haven't been to a Thai youth MX meeting so maybe there are some 65 or 85's here but..

Buy a cheapie eg. like this If he takes to it like a duck to water you can move on if he doesn't then you only wasted 20,000.

I tried the same with Kart racing, my son was Ok but he enjoyed talking to the other racers more than the actual racing. Eventually mountain bikes were of greater appeal and he became an archaeologist.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Usually I'm against getting kids involved in activities that may be too much for them, or giving them gifts for adults because they look cool with it.
My 11 year old daughter is very confident and loves to ride my Wave125 - with me in the back. We cruise back roads with little traffic and I can quickly take over if things get hairy. But that has never happened. She learned how to shift through the gears, can start and stop, and loves to go up to 50 km/h, that's when I tell her to slow down.
She hasn't ridden by herself, simply because the Wave is too big. She wouldn't have any problems with a KSR110.
We started out riding in 2nd gear, the acceleration is not too extreme, and she could get used to handle the bike without being too fast.
I don't think a KSR110 is too big for a 10 year old boy, but he should stay off public roads!

Attached files
266989=2473-Chompooh%20on%20Wave%201j.jpg
266989=2474-Chompooh_010_(Custom).jpg

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends, Hi Mike, Frans, Ken and Chang

Thanks a lot for your advises, in fact, the demand comes much more from my son than from me as living all school year long in Paris, between "concret" he is a bit frustrated not to ride a bike when he will be in condition to....

Thus I accept the idea and I look with him for the best compromise, a low power (this can be fixed by blocking the throtle aperture, or blocking the carb...), a light weight (the Kawasaki model seems to be much to heavy, in fact that much more an "adult bike")....

I went on the Modern Bike site Mike indicated and agree with him, the XJRSS 90 cc seems to be more than enough and 20.000 TBH is not a big risk or at leats less than the 60.000 TBH for a Kawasaki.

The XJRSS is also lighter and smaller thus, I will visit them or give them a call soon. I looked as well at their range of ATV, does someone have an opinion about it as well ?

Anyway thanks a lot for your advisees and please go on posting on the topic.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
If you buy the XRSS90 please let us know how long the cheap stuff holds up.

Nov 21, 2010
I think that those small bikes like the XRSS90 are the kind of bikes that are for sale at Carrefour in Pattaya. They look exactly like what they are ... toys. But that does not matter I think. If your kid really likes it you can always buy a real Kawasaki kid bike (I think the Kawa dealer in Pattaya has them).

Chang Noi

Jul 25, 2010
I dont know if this helps as I dont know much about the little bikes or what a ten year old should start on but I saw in a shop on Huay Kaew, CNX a shop selling 'Stallion Mini Series'. They are small 125cc Chinese made bikes priced from 39,900 up to 49,000 depending on the specs, well accessories really. They have a website http://www.funkyriderthailand.com/ which is in Thai but the pix give a good enough impression of the kind of bike. Interestingly the web master much have had a concentration lapse as the pix include photos of car presenters at a motor show.
Anyway, they look pretty cool and come in a 4 speed manual or automatic and the shop has loads of accessories.
The display at the shop front...

267015=2548-IMG_0197.jpg

A couple of custom ones with smaller wheels which lowered them considerably.....

267015=2549-IMG_0196.jpg
Their phone number is 053 222448 or 085 2582784 and the guy I chatted with to spoke good English.
I bumped into Rod Page at this shop who was looking at them to replace his D-tracker.....I think. 6ft 4ins on a mini bike up to Thoed Thai??? Ummm:confused:

Rod Page

Subscribed
Jan 7, 2010
Touche - Dad's Army payback time! At least we can both touch the ground with both feet on these little numbers.

jon

Nov 3, 2006
Have you looked at the KLX 110, same engine as the KSR, but a proper little off roader without all the lights and things and a bit cheaper. Shouldn't be too big for a ten year old and when he gets really good I believe there are classes where he could race in motocross over here! Personally I like the idea of kids learning on trials bikes with their very low seats and slow top speed. Ideal way to learn the basics of balance and slow speed control. I appreciate it would be hard to source a kids trials bike over here, but there may be some knocking around or coming in second hand from Japan and even the adult ones are not that tall or hard to ride. Good luck anyway.

......and KZ, your daughter looks tall enough to be able to drive that bike by herself. Not on a public road of course. I have a four year old girl and she rides in front of me on our Mio. A few days ago, I foolishly showed her how to operate the throttle while I kept my hand to the outside of the bars. I think I have created a speed monster. She seems to prefer it to sitting on my lap and steering our pickup. Something about feeling the wind in her hair.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Seems to me the KLX 110 has the same seat height as the KSR. It may be better for off-road, but even though the KSR may be a bit more expensive, it could be used by everybody, and on the street. It should be easier to get and to sell when the son moves up to a KLX 140 or so. Yes, they grow fast, learn fast and out-grow things fast!
Give them the throttle, that's how it starts, it may be the beginning of a career!
My daughter has always loved bikes, here she's five years old:

Attached files
267090=2654-Chompooh%20on%20chopper.j.jpg

jon

Nov 3, 2006
KZ. I see your point. The KSR would probably be a lot easier to sell on. It looks as though the KLX is only about 10 kilos lighter than the KSR, so they are maybe not that different, except one can then be ridden legally on the road and Daddy can get a bit of extra use out of it. You can also put off road tires on the KSR and I have seen them competing in enduros and even at a motocross meeting. I would like one myself, but my kid is a bit too small to ride it. My wife also likes the KSR and I have toyed with the idea of getting one and putting a light weight trials type sidecar on it. That way we would all be happy at the moment. All of us ( including the dog ) could go out on it or my wife could take the daughter out by herself, without the risk of falling over, and my kid could learn to ride it and later it could perhaps go back to being a solo.