luggage capacity for a long ride

Sep 30, 2011
so assuming a long ride of a few weeks/months +, could you manage with a 65lts panniers....assume you can chuck a regular bag on top of the panniers too if neded?

Jan 16, 2008
Are you planning to do any camping or use guesthouse accommodation?
Camping, you obviously need to carry more, but if using guest houses, you will not need that much space.

I used to have 40 liter Touratech panniers and filled them right up, plus dry bags on top of that and a top box. Still I needed room..
However, looking back, I overpacked way too much crap, way too much clothing etc. almost carried the kitchen sink.

Today, I like the minimalistic approach.
If I need stuff, like clothing that fails me or new socks, I would buy them instead on the road. Not pack it with me

Two ways of packing.
Lay out everything you think you want to take on the floor and try to stuff it into some cardboard board boxes and see what capacity you end up with in the end. Then buy what size boxes you need.
This way you end up with overpacking and carrying the kitchen sink.

The other one is buy your luggage first, then pack into it what fits in.
If it doesnt fit in, its not coming...

Im never going back to big boxy panniers, but prefer smaller softbags, and use a critical selection of what comes along.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Travel light is the way to go. If you're riding in S E Asia, accommodation is never a problem. Riding kit & clothes for 4 or 5 days, then over night & do your laundry.

Gary D

Apr 17, 2010
Craig,

What bike are you bringing?
I think if you are just short tripping you can minimalise but if you are on a long trip the bike is your home and you never seem to have enough variety. Washing day breaks come fairly quickly. Also you don't camp over here as there are a variety of accomodation rooms to suit the budget.

sydneycraig;271868 wrote: so assuming a long ride of a few weeks/months +, could you manage with a 65lts panniers....assume you can chuck a regular bag on top of the panniers too if neded?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
As much as I have ever carried luggage wise on the AT.

271912=5412-xam-nua-nong-khiew-002.jpg

271912=5413-xam-nua-nong-khiew-009.jpg

Chiang Mai - Hanoi & back, March 2010.
1 small Tourmaster bag & Alpinestars Sports Saddle bags; & even that was too much.
1 of the saddle bags I hardly used / opened.

cdrw

Oct 6, 2006
OTOH, I'm a minimalist when it comes to packing.
A few years ago, spending over a month going from Pattaya>Sihanoukvile (Cambo)>Laos to the Chinese border and back in Thailand toured Issan, then back home to Pattaya. About 7700km.
I had a 15-L waterproof diving bag (3-changes clothes, meds, toiletries, walking shoes, etc), a tank bag (camera, phone, bike reg & other docs, maps) and a bag of tools and repair items. Picture also shows a backpack atop the diving bag...it's normally in the diving bag.

When I'm on my BMW 650cc bike I may carry as much as 20-25L on a long trip. I have 40L Touratech panniers for the 650...but never felt I needed all that room.
You really don't need much!

271914=5414-Laos.jpg

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
2 up, 10 days. 1 saddlebag on the left with tools, tyre repair stuff, mini compressor, first aid kit, chargers for phones, yadda yadda. Basically all the stuff i didn't need very often, the other saddlebag for my gear, 3 changes of shirts, socks and jocks, a pair of shorts and sandals. Tank bag for hats, sunscreen, paperwork, maps and cameras. The bag on the rack for her stuff and still left plenty of room for her to buy stuff.

P3130023.jpg

P3130022.jpg

Gary D

Apr 17, 2010
But you guys live here and have a base to store things. On the other hand we have to carry everything for a long trip.
See you in Chiang Mai soon, about to head to Mae Sot in between showers.

Davidfl;271912 wrote: As much as I have ever carried luggage wise on the AT.

271912=5412-xam-nua-nong-khiew-002.jpg

271912=5413-xam-nua-nong-khiew-009.jpg

Chiang Mai - Hanoi & back, March 2010.
1 small Tourmaster bag & Alpinestars Sports Saddle bags; & even that was too much.
1 of the saddle bags I hardly used / opened.

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
True enough about the having a base to store stuff, but still not too hard even 2 up. I do my trips (10 to 15 days) from Oz as well so saddlebags and seat bag in airplane hold, tank bag, helmets and jackets in cabin. You cannot take things like chain lube, oil etc in airplane, but easy enough to buy in country. Once you get over about 5 days, the gear requirements are still about the same whether it is 2 weeks or 2 months, as long as you are not going to anywhere formal and using hard accommodation. If you cannot get your stuff washed overnight then you need a half day off every 3 days. It is all about the gear, both your casual gear and riding gear. My trips are all on road, so I use good quality hiking boots as riding boots, and they double as night time boots. if it is too cold in the evening for shorts, then my Draggin' jeans double up there as well. A thin jumper and a t shirt under a polo shirt will keep you Ok in the evenings in winter as well. A thin disposal rain coat is better than an umbrella and can double up as a wet weather insert for your jacket.

Clothes take up bulk, so lightweight stuff and layers is the go if it gets cold. My first trip I took 2 pairs of jeans as well as my draggin's, a bulky jumper, 5 polo shirts, 3 regular shirts, runners for the evenings, but ditched most of that for subsequent trips. Now it is just my draggin's 3 t shirts and a polo shirt. No jeans, no runners. Think dual purpose.

Tools take up weight, so a good quality multi tool with some metric sockets in the kit. Small shifter and a couple of long thin screwdrivers are the rest of my tool kit. Most hire bikes will have a tool kit as well. Lightweight pushbike lock from bunnings makes an effective lock for the bike at night, some zip ties and a roll of electrical tape will hold on broken bits.

Deano747

Subscribed
Aug 24, 2008
Sorry about the dual post, can't seem to edit the one above.

We use a BMW safari jacket, good impact protection, lots of zip vents, lots of external pockets and a couple of waterproof internal pockets, but don't bother with the liners. Really should use their pants as well, but use our dragging jeans and run the risk of no hip and knee padding. Some guys up there use external knee pads, probably a good idea. Open face helmets are a bad idea re bugs, plenty of flip up helmet choices around. Bring your own! Good quality summer gloves with mesh and impact protection, they will dry quickly if they get wet. Just watch the sunburn through the mesh. And a big floppy hat, the crushable leather ones are good.

The real trick is getting the long haired navigator to pack light. That's why she gets the big bag.

I have a really good puncture repair kit with a mini compressor that I got from the US, and a tin of finnileak bought in country is all you need there. Think through your first aid kit. Paraderm plus is great for insect bites and burns, small spray can of bush mans with deet is good for mossies, Swiss army knife, some waterproof bandaids, some gauze pads and a couple of long gauze bandages, and a packet of Panadol is enough for small stuff, use a t shirt for bigger injuries.

Go easy on the toiletries, you can get everything you need at the 7-11, but get your sunscreen from Oz.

IPhone loaded with a bunch of books gives You something to do in the evenings that you are not in the bars, and Internet where you can find free wifi,

As the guys mention, clothes are easy to buy and cheap, we always come back with twice as much as we left with.

Sorry if I have rambled on a lot here, but better for you if I give you too much info that you already know than not enough. Pm me if you have any more questions.

Have fun, wish I was back up there soon.