Mae Hong Son Via Wat Chan

Wazza

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 17, 2017
Hi Everyone,
I keep looking at the map and wondering if it's viable to head up the 3006 from Wat Chan to MHS. I've seen threads discussing the 1265 on to Pai, So I gather the road to Wat Chan from CNX would be ok.. I was more thinking of cutting off the SW corner and getting the best of the loop. Considering doing it at Christmas on a V strom.I'm guessing it's mainly dirt and around 75kms of it. Appreciate any advice.
Regards Wazza

Wazza

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 17, 2017
And then on the WOW(Thailand North) map, it shows the 1265 going almost directly west from Wat Chan and joining the 108 near the Meo Microwave/Pha Bong Reservoir. The 2 maps contradict one another quite markedly.
Regards Wazza

Wazza

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 17, 2017
A little surprised no one has been through that way as it’s a deviation off the road to Pai.

Oddvar

Subscribed
Mar 18, 2013
The OSM map is very good in that area. I came back from MHS via Ban Nong Kieow / 4009 and north to the Elephant trail and on to Wat Chan. The OSM was correct all the way.
Doable on any bike with nobbie tyres.

Reactions: Ian Bungy

Wazza

Ol'Timer
Subscribed
Sep 17, 2017
Thanks Oddvar,
Had scrapped that from the route book due to the lack of votes and knobies.
My next trip is the 5th in a couple of years, and it’s like sitting at a table of your very favourite food and told you can’t taste all in one sitting. And there’s someone at the table telling you there’s still better to be tasted but not today. Thanks for your reply.
Do you do mainly dirt or mix it up?
Cheers Wazza

canthai

Subscribed
Apr 8, 2015
Rode the Elephant Trail on Thursday.
CRF250L with 17's - Pirelli Angel CiTy
Left Wat Chan about 0730
First half of the road was good - some old sections of broken concrete, a few rough spots, but dirt sections good with minimal ruts.
The second half had some rough sections, sharp rocks, loose dirt, especially where someone - I expect a tractor with a blade on the front - tried to "fix" the road.
Was not so smokey that you could not enjoy the views - some of which were spectacular.
Leave your "I'm a big bad biker" image at home tho' - got passed by two young Thai guys on a Wave more than once - !!! 555
All told - 4 hours riding from Wat Chan to downtown MHS

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Rode the Elephant Trail on Thursday.
CRF250L with 17's - Pirelli Angel CiTy
Left Wat Chan about 0730
First half of the road was good - some old sections of broken concrete, a few rough spots, but dirt sections good with minimal ruts.
The second half had some rough sections, sharp rocks, loose dirt, especially where someone - I expect a tractor with a blade on the front - tried to "fix" the road.
Was not so smokey that you could not enjoy the views - some of which were spectacular.
Leave your "I'm a big bad biker" image at home tho' - got passed by two young Thai guys on a Wave more than once - !!! 555
All told - 4 hours riding from Wat Chan to downtown MHS
Great update. Many thanks for the report. Good man..