Mae Kachan - Ban Long Kord R1001

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Still unable to ride, although I’ve edged a few cms closer with the wonky arm; so to relieve the boredom I managed to score a nice little 4WD trip to check on another old trail I’ve not used since 97 - 10 years ago, & how the years are flying by.

The original plan was to go from Mae Kachan, west to Wat Doi Mae Pang, but as luck would have it, after picking up a villager with a broken down Honda Dream (the rear sprocket was so worn the drive chain would not stay on) & dropping him off in his village, he gave us a tip that there was a new forestry trail through the mountains that dropped us off in Ban Long Kord, on R1001, 44 kms north of Chiang Mai.

The track is a real steep narrow beauty & one that would be impassable in the wet. And believe me, the forest cover & scenery is as good as it gets in North Thailand.

Check out the profile of this great little 55 kms forestry trail.
148296611-M.jpg

Something to think about after the wet season, or in the next 10 days if you're quick.

Nick

Jan 25, 2007
Hi David

Sounds great. Could you please post the coordinates for the start of that route at the Mee Kachan side?

Cheers
Nick

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Davidfl wrote:
The original plan was to go from Mae Kachan, west to Wat Doi Mae Pang, but as luck would have it, after picking up a villager with a broken down Honda Dream (the rear sprocket was so worn the drive chain would not stay on) & dropping him off in his village, he gave us a tip that there was a new forestry trail through the mountains that dropped us off in Ban Long Kord, on R1001, 44 kms north of Chiang Mai.
Wel the guy did not get a complete free ride as just before Huai Nam Khun, the village where he lived, a tree had fallen over the track.

HuaiMaeKhun1.jpg

As he was the one with a machete he got the honor of removing it with a bit of help from the two of us although I must admit that we were more busy enjoying the scenery.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
quote:

Originally posted by Nick

Hi David

Sounds great. Could you please post the coordinates for the start of that route at the Mee Kachan side?

Cheers
Nick

Nick
No trouble, but it's gonna cost you a GT Rider shirt if you don't have one already.
If you're based in Chiang Mai, why dont you join in with the other GT Riders sometime? Sunday at the X-Centre for MotoGP would be a good place to start. Roll up wearing a GT Rider shirt & you've got the co-ordinates.