Mae Rim - Mork Fa Waterfall Loop

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
Route 107, 3010/4026/3009, 1095, unknown,3010/4026/3009,107,121

Distance 138km

After a busy morning at Prem Center near Mae Rim, helping with a presentation to pupils with Care for Dogs, I headed out on the 3010 away from the 107 until its end, where it joins the 1095.

DSC_8213.jpg

DSC_8224.jpg

DSC_8239.jpg

DSC_8241.jpg

Strangely the 3010 on my gps tells me it turns into the 4026 but the sign at the end of the road says 3009.

DSC_8244.jpg

I turned left onto the 1095 towards Pai and at Pang Hang I stopped for Coffee & bickies at Pankled Coffee Corner.

DSC_8245.jpg

DSC_8247.jpg

DSC_8248.jpg

DSC_8249.jpg

From here I took the side exit to a concrete and hard packed soil track sign posted towards Mork Fa Waterfall. A great track to find out the manageability of the bike in some sizeable ruts and loose surface. I felt very comfortable and content with my & the the bikes performance!

DSC_8252.jpg

DSC_8254.jpg

DSC_8255.jpg

DSC_8257.jpg

DSC_8258.jpg

At the ticket office, I played my usual game, not speaking, letting them ask for 70 baht and then me questioning why so expensive. I paid the 30 baht 'local' fee and parked the bike for a pleasant walk to the waterfall.

DSC_8260.jpg

DSC_8261.jpg

DSC_8264.jpg

I thought the signs here were strange until I nearly pooped myself hearing a cracking noise above me and saw a massive bamboo hurtling down the steep embankment.

DSC_8305.jpg

DSC_8267.jpg

DSC_8306.jpg

DSC_8270.jpg

DSC_8273.jpg

DSC_8279.jpg

DSC_8281.jpg

The water today was low compared to a specimen photo at the payment kiosk but it was worth the walk and I will add this to the places to visit later in the wet season.

DSC_8283.jpg

DSC_8287.jpg

On past the kiosk, I follow this track up to Mae Lod and then eventually Pha Taek.

DSC_8309.jpg

DSC_8311.jpg

DSC_8315.jpg

DSC_8320.jpg

DSC_8322.jpg

DSC_8324.jpg

DSC_8330.jpg

DSC_8344.jpg

DSC_8345.jpg

I keep following the 'main' hardened soil and the route was surprisingly busy with a couple of trucks and many farmers on their bikes.

DSC_8347.jpg

DSC_8354.jpg

DSC_8358.jpg

But then after Pha Taek, I come to a small village that is not on the GTR map and is definitely not as far south as Ban Lak.

DSC_8361.jpg

I am at GPS location N19.03.897 E098.46.537 Here is a fork.

DSC_8363.jpg

In hindsight, I can now identify with plotted gps way points (this route is not on my esri map) that this is track I am following is the one on the GTR map and does continue to Ban Lak & returns to the 3010 at Pa Tung.

I say in hind sight, as at this point I took the right fork and up the mountain.

An amazing ride through forests and orchards with so many splendid views. At times I considered being lost but with the confidence of this 'go anywhere' bike, I couldn't care less.

DSC_8364.jpg

DSC_8366.jpg

DSC_8368.jpg

DSC_8369.jpg

DSC_8373.jpg

Eventually I emerge into a clearing and some type of residence & I ride through their garden !

DSC_8374.jpg

Continuing on, I travel through dark forest and extremely steep tracks which were quite exhilarating.

DSC_8375.jpg

DSC_8376.jpg

DSC_8377.jpg

Finally I exit soil track onto concrete at a sign that tells me, if I could read Thai, that the residence I had past was a meditation retreat called Pa Maing pha Daen.

DSC_8382.jpg

DSC_8383.jpg

This concrete rises up to my right and descends steeply to my left. Looking at the GTR map, I deduce I am near the peak of the mountain height indicator '1224' GPS location N19.01.668 E098.46.418

The concrete is in perfect condition and this road down the mountain is a terrific ride. Reading the signs along the way, I believe there is a temple at the top where I have come from, so yet another place to visit another day.

Indeed the signs along this road are directing traffic to Wat Phra Poot Tabad Sii Loy (Temple with 4 foot marks ??) at the top.

Another good road, concrete in excellent condition, no pot holes, no loose and very curvey.

DSC_8385.jpg

DSC_8386.jpg

DSC_8387.jpg

DSC_8393.jpg

DSC_8397.jpg

Almost off the mountain, I come across a sign to Sai Mok Waterfall. This little grotto type place is in a dishevelled state and with such little water too, was a bit of a disappointment.

DSC_8402.jpg

DSC_8403.jpg

DSC_8405.jpg

DSC_8407.jpg

I now pass through Huai Somsuk and eventually come to a T junction plastered with signs. To the right I am now advised read Mae Rim 15km but I took the left from gut instinct and ride to Wat Nong Kai and then eventually onto the 3010/4026/3009 combo at Wat San Pa Tueng.

DSC_8409.jpg

DSC_8413.jpg

DSC_8411.jpg

DSC_8414.jpg

DSC_8420.jpg

From here it is a straight run back to the 107 north of Mae Rim, right down towards Chiang Mai and then right onto the 121 Canal Road & home.

Couldn't help but catch the last picture of the day - Colourful or what ? Sadly, this lotion local people put on their dogs suffering with fleas & ticks causes more harm than good. Just think of the emotional stress this guy suffered walking around like this until the next heavy rain!

DSC_8423.jpg

Exhilarating and very enjoyable. The ride & the bike.

Ally

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Ally
Nice one with beautiful photos as usual - makes even me want to get out there to ride those roads 'n trails again. :)
Funny about the different road numbers too - they keep changing & it is impossible to keep up with. :roll:
But wow, what a network of interesting roads & trails we have got to explore out there eh? Awesome isn't it - & right on our own doorstep.
Thanks once more for the contributions. They are all very much appreciated. :D

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
While trying to follow Ally's trip on my GPS maps I noticed quite a few differences in the various versions of the GPS maps I have. These differences may be of interest to those who have a GPS or are thinking of buying a GPS - the reason why I post them here. Maybe this post should be in the GPS section but as the comparison covers Ally's trip I put it in here (Admin, feel free to move it).

A brief comparison of 3 GPS maps - the ESRI Map version 8.1 (picture top) and ESRI Version 9.0 which was brought out about 2 weeks ago (center picture) and the GT Rider GPS map (picture bottom).

The ESRI maps have much more details in urban areas and the latest version is also starting to catch up with some rural roads (it shows the road to Wat Phraputthabath Si Roi).

The GT Rider GPS map, which uses only GPS tracks and waypoints, appears to be stronger in rural offroad areas.

ESRIVersion81.jpg

ESRIVersion9.jpg

DavidsGPSmap.jpg

Attachments

• ESRIVersion81.jpg
    ESRIVersion81.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 85
  • ESRIVersion9.jpg
    ESRIVersion9.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 77
  • DavidsGPSmap.jpg
    DavidsGPSmap.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 82
Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
Ally-

Very nice report and you found some nice roads that I haven't been on.
BUT; YOU MUST GO BACK! :wink:

Inside Wat Nong Khai are some great hand painted murals, depicting early life in the village (including some innebriated subjects losing their meal), that you must not have seen or you would have commented, I believe.

WatNongKai005.jpg

WatNongKai006.jpg

They are in the first building on the left.

ALSO;

The concrete is in perfect condition and this road down the mountain is a terrific ride. Reading the signs along the way, I believe there is a temple at the top where I have come from, so yet another place to visit another day.

Indeed the signs along this road are directing traffic to Wat Phra Poot Tabad Sii Loy (Temple with 4 foot marks ??) at the top
This is a very beautiful temple and an easy scenic ride.

WatNongKai039.jpg

WatNongKai029.jpg

WatNongKai037.jpg

Even a friend waiting for you :lol:

You probably do not want to go much past the temple as you can see from this old post of Pikey's favorite ride.

Temples and Stupidity

Attachments

• WatNongKai005.jpg
    WatNongKai005.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 98
  • WatNongKai006.jpg
    WatNongKai006.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 95
  • WatNongKai039.jpg
    WatNongKai039.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 87
  • WatNongKai029.jpg
    WatNongKai029.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 88
  • WatNongKai037.jpg
    WatNongKai037.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 104

Ally

Dec 13, 2007
David - Thanks, I consider myself very fortunate to be able to do these rides and I enjoy sharing what I am able to of the experience.

Auk - I will be downloading the update asap - thanks for the tip off.

Silver Hawk - Wow! That welcoming dog & the temple at the top will definitely get me back there real soon. I shall indeed pop into Wat Nong Kai too as your right, I didn't stop for a look, all that art work (gross or otherwise) would certainly have drawn a comment.

Captain - You know full well I would have taken a few more !! Take a look at my album here ...

Alternatively if you get bored with pics of the new toy, you could always take a look at my collection of 'Wild Shacks' here ...:wink:

Hey you guys, I had felt lucky to be doing these rides, now I feel privileged to be receiving feedback from folks like you that are longer in the seat than me. Thank you very much.

Ally

Dec 24, 2007
Nice Machine man, just the thing for the north of Thailand.

The ticket office 'game' reminds of me and my girls trip to Pala-u Falls in Prachuap. They wanted 200 baht, tourists paying hand over fist and me just standing there showing the thai drivers licence. :)

But now I'm told that, allegedly, the double pricing for national parks and the like has been outlawed, so hopefully this practice will fade away I hope :)

Jun 1, 2008
Auke wrote:

A brief comparison of 3 GPS maps - the ESRI Map version 8.1 (picture top) and ESRI Version 9.0 which was brought out about 2 weeks ago (center picture) and the GT Rider GPS map (picture bottom).
For anyone running 8.1, it there a way of updating to version 9 without a whole new purchase?

Jun 1, 2008
Ally

wonderful report an photos as always. The bike looks great too

When you leave the bike and walk to waterfalls what do you do with your gear. Do you request someone look after it, hide it, or take it with you.

T

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
tonykiwi wrote: [quote quote=Auke]

For anyone running 8.1, it there a way of updating to version 9 without a whole new purchase?
In the past you would get a free update for 1 year when you buy the map from ESRI or its authorized dealers. However, Garmin has changed its rule with regard the number of unlock codes allowed as well as as with free upgrades so ESRI may have done the same. Anyway, there are other ways to get the map as you probably know. If not, PM me and I can give you a few hints on where to search and what to do.

Oct 12, 2005
Ally great pics.

The Mork Fa waterfall is one of my favorites, especially if you get there early morning midweek as you have it to yourself. A very picturesque location that contributes to a serene mindset. Glad you enjoyed it.

The forest and off road trails around the meditation retreat area Pa Maing pha Daen is usually quite lush and thick. Try and get up there again in a few months after the rains and you'll see a big change in the fauna. This picture is about 100 yards above the "yard" you cut through. The road through the "yard" in your picture is actually a main artery down to the pavement but the grass area makes it appear as someones lawn.
161698896_S8pRA-M.jpg

Earlier this same day we did accidently cut into someones yard when the trail dropped us into this persons back yard :shock: . After saying "I'm sorry" and being polite to the owners it really goes to show you how gracious people can be over here. This was just above Wat in Silverhawks pics.
161698844_ZrmhB-M.jpg

Once again some really nice forest area back in this section of the jungle.

Thanks for the report.

Attachments

• 161698844_ZrmhB-M.jpg
    161698844_ZrmhB-M.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 161698896_S8pRA-M.jpg
    161698896_S8pRA-M.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 109