Medical Kit

Jun 1, 2008
I am sure that I read somewhere the recommended contents of a medical/first aid kit for riders. I just can't find it so maybe it was not on this site.

What sort of things would you recommend to carry when touring. I am bit prone to chest infections so have spoken to my doctor who will prescribe me some prednisone (just in case.) Is there anything else we should be considering to carry with us?

Thanks

T

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Kiwi

That is absolutely nesessary and i have small med kitBox with me all the time, against bleeding and minors cuts.

But like many bikes, do not have so much space to carry extra box, i think not so many of us carry more than blasters and stuff.
Havent found that air splint yet.

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2153.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

:wink: :roll:

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Marco,

I don't know from your published profile where you come from, but I would suspect you could be French as all the French I know (me included) build up such safety/medical kits when abroad (maybe an explanation of the famous "French Doctors") ...

This is very usefull to administrate the firts cares, specially down in LOS where generally nobody cares too much and generally reacts a bit slow when time is a key factor.....

Anyway, that's a brilliant idea and I would recommand to publish a Medical Kit list adapted to the country -Thailand- with products we can find here, local but having some experience of the efficiency.

One last question, is the gold necklace part of your medical kit ??? .....Should be among sweeties ???.... Joke !

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Azoulay

Im from FINLAND, but worked last 24yrs as Safety and Security on various different ship companies.

I was thinking defibilirator to be attached to bike as well,, but havent found suitable one yet and place to be installed
:wink:

Jun 1, 2008
All I am talking about is the basic needs for a rider given the potential for illness or injury in a more remote area than we are used to. Not knowing which drugs etc are easily available it becomes a bit of a lottery. I am not talking about running a paramedical service. Just things such as antibiotics, electrolyte, stuff for the shits etc.

On this subject, I met a guy in our local petrol station a week or so ago who was a solo motorcyclist (large BMW) and travels around various countries. We got to talking about GT and he aims to travel there before he is unable to do so.

The fact is that he has had kidney transplant with a limited time ahead. He carries a full medical kit with him including a portable dialasys machine which is powered from his motocycle.

I guess you do what it takes to fulfil your dreams :D

Cheers

T

Pikey

www.tbbtours.com
Hi Tony,

Drugs that are easily available here include:

Tiffy - paracetemol type drug but makes you sleepy.
Tramadol - heavy duty pain killer
Disento - kills bacteria that gives you the sh*ts (thanks Marcus/DavidFL!)
Electrolyte rehydration powders.

All cheap and easily available in CNX.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Aug 7, 2003
Boots chemists used to sell a remote area medical kit 9"X5"X2" included sealed syringes,IV tube,and the necessary plasters etc. Used to carry it in Cambodia just in case. Other wise make your own.

A few things I have learnt :-

Carbon powder capsules are better in clearing up the "runs" than Lomitol etc that only plug you up.

A space blanket is invaluable in case of shock or just an unexpected cold night.

Tramadol or similar strong painkiller in case of broken bones ie. collar bone.

Electrolites in the camel pack and a pack of water purifier tablets in the medical kit.

The wide sticky/stretchy surgical tape is good for blisters, holding lager bandages, boot repairs once the duct tape runs out.

Ibuprofen for sprains,twisted ankles.

Of course there are more items you can add, scissors,tweezers, needle, antiseptic creams,sun burn cream,asprin etc,etc. And also common sense.

Start with the basics and build you kit up as you go, any chemist in Thailand/Cambodia can supply nearly anything needed. i'm not a medic or medically trained past basic first aid and survival, maybe someone can post a comprehensive list of medications to take with details of what they are for.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
mikerust wrote: Found this

http://www.bajagpsguide.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=78&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=156

It gives the contents of each kit.

Do all serious GT-Riders already have a kit?

Mike

That is nice small kit and that is what is inside weekender kit.

The Weekender Medical Kit Medical Information / Instrument / Medication

1..... Comp. Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine
1..... Instructions, Easy Care", Medications
1..... Motrin� (Ibuprofen 200 mg), Pkg./2
2..... Extra Strength Tylenol� (500 mg), Pkg./2
2..... Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
1..... Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2
1..... EMT Shears, 4"
1..... Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
3..... Thermometer, Disposable, (96�F to 104.8�F)
1..... Duct Tape, 2" x 5 Yards
3..... Safety Pins
1..... Pencil
1..... Patient Assessment Form

Bleeding / CPR
1..... Instructions, Easy Care", Bleeding
1..... CPR Face Shield, Laerdal�
1..... Trauma Pad, 5" x 9"
1..... Gloves, Nitrile (Pair), One Hand Wipe

Wound Care / Burn / Blister
1..... Instructions, Easy Care", Wound
1..... Syringe, Irrigation, 20 cc, 18 Gauge Tip
1..... Wound Closure Strips, 1/4" x 4", Pkg./10
2..... Tincture of Benzoin Topical Adhesive, Swab
6..... After Cuts & Scrapes� Wipe
1..... Povidone Iodine, 3/4 oz
3..... Triple Antibiotic Ointment, 1/32 oz
2..... Dressing, Non-Adherent, Sterile, 3" x 4"
2..... Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 4" x 4", Pkg./2
2..... Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
2..... Bandage, Conforming Gauze, Non-Sterile, 3"
1..... Tape, 1" x 10 Yards
5..... Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
5..... Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
1..... Moleskin, 4" x 7"
1..... Dressing, Spenco 2nd� Skin, 2" x 1 1/2"
1..... Bandage, Non-Woven Adhesive, 4" x 7"
1..... Cotton Tip Applicator, Pkg./2
1..... Motrin� (Ibuprofen 200 mg), Pkg./2

Fracture / Sprain
1..... Instructions, Easy Care", Fractures/Sprains
1..... Bandage, Elastic with Velcro� Closure, 3"
1..... Bandage, Triangular

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
Add or substitute:

Pikey's stuff and you ah done

Tramadol - heavy duty pain killer
Disento - kills bacteria that gives you the sh*ts (thanks Marcus/DavidFL!)
Electrolyte rehydration powders.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
pikey wrote: [quote quote=mikerust]

I don't take myself too seriously so only pack what I mentioned before plus a big knife, needle and fishing twine for those "rambo" self-repair moments ;-)

Cheers,

Pikey.
Is there any "Serious GT-Riders?? 8)

Dec 1, 2006
Marco, I have always been wondering why you ride that humungous bike of yours. Now I finally have that one figured out...!! :p

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
beattheswiss wrote: Marco, I have always been wondering why you ride that humungous bike of yours. Now I finally have that one figured out...!! :p
Beat

It's not easy to be 4 times over my ideal body weight,, so i had to find bike what suites my boots,,,

But to be 100%,, im pulling your shaft guys,,that is actual med kit but from home use,, that box is huge and cant be fitted even in my bike...

But i do have smaller med kit but that is so small that i cant even get picture out of it... :lol: :wink:

mikerust

Subscribed
Nov 5, 2003
pikey wrote: [quote quote=mikerust]

I don't take myself too seriously so only pack what I mentioned before plus a big knife, needle and fishing twine for those "rambo" self-repair moments ;-)

Cheers,

Pikey.

You forgot the thick piece of cow hide to bit down on.

I only mention this because once i had some surgey on a finger tip of my left hand and needed a local anesthetic. As you all know the finger tips are one of the parts of ther body with the most nerve endings.

After administering said needle the doctor asked “Did that hurt?”.
I said “Yes” while showing her the teeth marks in the index finger of my right hand.
:lol:

Jun 1, 2008
Thanks for all the information, it has been an education. I was just looking for practical solutions. Pharmacies are all well and good as long as they are available.

In the event that you are riding somewhere away from a main centre (in my case likely to be alone in a strange country) and suffer a medical issue it would be good to know that something could be done. Maybe a badly strained ankle, could be a burn, cut with a risk of infection, insect bite causing allergic reaction.

It strikes me that some basic items would take up little space but allow for more comfort in the early stages. painkillers, antibiotics, antacid tablets, antiflam, wound dressings, eye bath, antihistomine creme, Johnny Walker Black Label etc.

Cheers

T

Oct 12, 2005
Can vouch for the benefits of Tramadol. Helped get me out of the jungle with four breaks in the leg....well the Tramdol and two drunken hill tribesmen in the pick-up arranged by Luke and Rossi.

My medical kit consists of:

Tramadol for major pain
Lomitol - for the runs
and lots of duct tape around my wrenches for taping up wounds, blisters, patching holes in luggage etc.
Snickers Bars to keep the blood sugar from tanking.

A bit minimal but has seen me through a bit of abuse and takes up no room.

ray23

Oct 14, 2005
Tramadol is what allows to to walk and ride, without it I would be a homebody. Seven herinated discs will do that to you. Be careful it is addictive. But not as bad as you would think I stopped taking to see what the withdrawels would be like. 48 hours it was over. Of course I couldn't walk.

Marco since you and your wife own a pharmacy that may be a marketable item for you designed specifically for riders and small enough to carry on the bike. In most cases you won't be that far from some sort of medical facility. So a real basic kit to stop bleeding ect. With an idea to towards emergency treatment for one hour should do the trick. It has to be easy to carry or it will be left at home.

I recommend everyone take a basic first aide course along with CPR.