Mhs Loop Ride

jeff_connors

Feb 14, 2017
Bangkok
Greetings---My wife is heading to CM for a retreat on 11-12 Nov and I'm thinking of joining the MHS ride. Couple questions---has anyone put a bigger bike on the train from Bkk to CM? I heard they take scooters. (I have a Vstrom) I read some ride reports on the loop and several have said riding it should take a minimum of 4 days. Is that riding time or riding and stop to look around time? Any advice on riding it would be appreciated? Thanks.

Jeff
Bangkok

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gday Jeff
Should be no trouble to train up with your bike.

For the MHS Memorial Ride we ride to MHS one day & back the next.
If you are doing it for the first time, then you may want to take your time & linger longer on the loop.
Two nights in MHS, one in Rak Thai & one or two in Pai. Please yourself.

Its 250 kms to MHS via Pai.
Its 350 kms to MHS via Mae Sarieng.
Its 280 kms to MHS via Mae Chaem on the memorial ride

A GTR Mae Hong Son Loop guide map would be a handy investment for the loop if you are doing it for the first time.
All the correct kms & roads with elevation profiles are on the map.
https://www.thegtrider.com/maps-of-thailand-laos-maps/the-mae-hong-son-loop-guide-map

You are welcome to join the memorial ride. The info is here
2017 (9th) Annual Gtr Mae Hong Son Loop Memorial Ride

Feb 24, 2014
I put a bike on the train from CM to BKK, a few years ago with no problem. I paid four baggage handlers 20B each (I’m sure it’s a bit more now, more like 100B) to lift my bike into the baggage car, where they did a good job of tying it down and protecting it with sacking. I paid others the other end to lift it off. They were all very willing.
Definitely get the GTR MHS map. It’s a fabulous ride!

Feb 24, 2014
I forgot to say that the bike went in the baggage car of the normal train (of which there are several each day), so it really was quite easy.
Have a great trip, Jeff..!

jeff_connors

Feb 14, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks all for the into. We are trying to decide whether to go with the group or hit it alone for the first time. We may end going alone so we can stop along the way more often for site seeing. Either way, thanks for the info.