Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
GT RIDER RENDEZVOUS RIDE: ONCE A MONTH.

From

EVERY 2 WEEKS A GT RIDER EVENT
1. CHIANG MAI CITY GT RIDER DINNER
then two weeks later a rendezvous up-country for a ride & another dinner
2. GT RIDER RENDEZVOUS RIDE
then two weeks later back in Chiang Mai for a city dinner.
:think: :thumbup:

WHY / WHAT: to try & promote more guys & gals to get out & ride, plus overnight in the smaller towns with less facilities where you might not normally want to go & hang it for a night due to lack of company.
Big towns with better facilities & night life are easy – you can go there anytime & not get any prizes for being “adventurous.”
But GT Rider would like to encourage more riders visit & overnight in some of the quieter more traditional towns to experience the REAL Thailand & appreciate the good Thai life.

SUGGESTED DESTINATIONS = quieter towns to rendezvous & meet up in.
• Mae Chaem
• Mae Sarieng
• Khun Yuam
• Soppong
• Chiang Dao
• Tha Ton
• Doi Mae Salong
• Thoed Thai
• Golden Triangle
• Chiang Saen
• Chiang Khong
• Chiang Kham
• Pua
• Phrae
• Lampang (only because it is so close to Cnx & not many riders over night there, but is probably worth an overnight trip.)

“MISSING”
• Mae Hong Son
• Pai
• Chiang Rai
• Phayao
• Nan
No reason NOT to go to any of these towns by yourself. Lots of facilitates / infrastructure for foreigners – Farang / Asian.

Last edited:

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
bump. To show that there are now separate threads for

1. Monthly GT Rider Chiang Mai City Dinners

2. GT Rider Up-Country Dinner Rendezvous Rides

Last edited:

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
My personal opinion: NO as it didn't really take off at its initial posting time.
Me thinks it's better to organise some individual rides with a nice dinner thereafter, like the Xmas run. Rgds, FR

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Seeing I've moved awake from the big smoke to up country (Chiang Khong) is there any interest in reviving up country rendezvous dinners to hook up?
Once a month all meet up in a smaller town, that you may not normally stay over night because it is "too quiet."
The town / venue can vary each month?

Any ideas?

princey

Ol'Timer
Nov 5, 2017
A middle point for some could be Chaing Rai?

Has some nightlife and some great places to eat now Dave,
Need to try "Ribs & Co".
Sorry, I cant make it to far away.

GTR-Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2016
Thailand
I'm in... wherever it is :cool:

There are plenty of good little towns with decent restaurants scattered across the north. For some, it might be an excellent excuse for a night away from home.

GTR-Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2016
Thailand
The last Wednesday of the month sounds good to me. A destination and a venue is the next item on the agenda...

Sep 4, 2007
The last Wednesday in May is the 30th May. Is that good for people, or are there some who can only make Weekend nights if they have to be away overnight. Seems there is time for some discussion to find out when people are available, but I suggest it would be good if David or GTR Admin pick the town first and then people may be willing to commit.?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
The last Wednesday in May is the 30th May. Is that good for people, or are there some who can only make Weekend nights if they have to be away overnight. Seems there is time for some discussion to find out when people are available, but I suggest it would be good if David or GTR Admin pick the town first and then people may be willing to commit.?

John
I would suggest Pua to start off again.
But it was suggested to me it should be Chiang Khong?

Wednesday the 30th of May.

The original idea for these rendezvous trips was to get guys out riding, to meet up & stay in the smaller quieter places. Towns that perhaps they would not normally stay in because it was too quiet for them, but with other guys going there it could be a fun night.

It is 8 years since I first proposed this, & the idea may have been a bit ahead of its time for most.
Times have changed & some towns have improved, plus there are new interesting destinations.
The amended list of places to rendezvous in could now include
  • Mae Chaem
  • Khun Yuam
  • Soppong
  • Chiang Dao
  • Piang Luang / Wiang Haeng
  • Doi Ang Khang
  • Tha Ton
  • Doi Chang
  • Doi Mae Salong
  • Thoed Thai
  • Golden Triangle
  • Chiang Saen
  • Chiang Khong
  • Doi Pha Tang / Phu Chi Fah
  • Chiang Kham
  • Pua
  • Bo Klua
  • Chiang Muan
  • Pong
  • Ngao
  • Phrae
  • Tak
  • Lampang (only because it is so close to Cnx & not many riders over night there, but is probably worth an overnight trip.)

It would be fun, a bit of an adventure to stay in some of these quieter towns with a group of guys for the night. They would be memorable experiences one way or another!

Sep 4, 2007
Hi David,
I will throw in a few thoughts.
Last Wednesday is nice simple idea and already accepted by some, so Wed 30th works
Bearing in mind this is the first one,and I think the majority of potential attendess are in CM area, I suggest somewhere in between CK and CM works as maybe not a time when people are on extended tours and for me it would be up on Wednesday night for the dinner and back next day. The further away destinations may be better after the event established and not in hot wet season. Also Chiang Khong is a much visited destination, which I think we have all been to many times and I am sure would make a good later venue after some of your smaller towns have been tried. I have never stayed in the following places, which are in between us:
Chiang Dao, maybe a bit too near CM
Thaton, maybe ideal
Pong
Chiang Kham
Chiang Muan
I cannot offer any suggestions for eating or sleeping in any of these places, which is maybe part of the idea??

DM Salong is well liked and maybe easier to find accommodation now rather than high season. A safe option for sleeping and eating
These places are all also not so far from Chiang Rai, so if people want to go check that out on night before or after, easy to do

Last edited:

princey

Ol'Timer
Nov 5, 2017
Great all had a great time, will be able to make the July one ok.
Land in CR on the 18th for 30 days.
Maybe 5 this time Dave

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
September and November OK. October either Cancel or Incorporate it into the Memorial ride. December is Christmas so let everyone do there own thing I suggest?
I won't be avalible in December as have some people here!

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
March 2020 GTR Up-Country Dinner Cancelled

Due to the ongoing health scare & recommendations against travel this month's up-country dinner for Wednesday 25th March is cancelled.

The proposed destination was going to be Wang Nua, a small town that we all flash past whilst riding R120.
I've long thought about a GTR dinner there, having never spent a night there, or known anyone who has.
It would be interesting to see what we could turn up & how it would go, but I also sense that people up-country are a bit nervous with strangers at the moment.
I'm also uncomfortable going with a group to unknown, untested small restaurants / bar beers where the hygiene could be of a questionable standard, so let's skip this month & see how we go next month.

I'm comfortable going to establishments that we know & that have a good hygiene standard, but for out of the way places that we have never had a night in before it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable at the moment. So best to curtail the dinner this month.

Riding around the North in 40 Celsius heat, I feel quite safe, plus staying away from crowds & packed air-conditioned pubs, however I do feel a bit uneasy organizing a group event at the moment, & being responsible should someone miraculously pick up the Wuhan wog on the trip to an out of the way place.

The Mekong pizza night event planned for Tuesday night 31st March should also be interesting with no inside sit down dining policy just in force.

Attention, loyal customers. In the age of Coronavirus, we'll be taking the same precautions as some of our Southeast Asia neighbors for the time being. No sit down, in restaurant dining effective immediately. Takeaway and delivery still available. You can even sit outside if you'd like, but your pizza will come in a take out box. This is just for now, we'll reassess in a few weeks based on the facts. This starts when we re-open tomorrow, Thursday March 19th. Thank you for your understanding!​

Stay tuned.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Looks like we finally clear for a eating & drinking as normal so we can organize some GTR up-country dinners.

The last Wednesday of the month in June is Wednesday 24th June 2020.

Before the post Covid opening was announced I recently checked out Phu Chi Fa, Thoed Thai & Doi Mae Salong for a dinners, to see if it would be possible to have one in those places & it was positive.
It could be wet, going into rainy season, so perhaps a destination with less mountain riding will be best.
A destination and venue will be confirmed soon.
Stay tuned.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
November 2020
The last Wednesday of the month = Wednesday 30th November 2020.
The destination will be announced in a week or two.

December 2020
There will be no Wednesday end of the month dinner in December.

2021 Alternating New & Old towns
The first dinner of 2021 will be Wednesday 27 January 2021.
For 2021 let's try a new idea & alternate between an old town & a new town.
So for January 2021 lets go back to a town where have already had a dinner, then in February hit a new town we have not been to.
Suggestions for a "Return To ___ City" to kick off 2021 are welcome.

Reactions: DKT Dave
Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Anyone wanting to Join Us for the Ride up is welcome. Our Group is Meeting at the X-Centre at 10am and will take an easy Cruise up. Check in Our accommodation then carry on up to the Burmese border for a look around? We should be back to Our rooms in time for a shower and Beer O'Clock. A couple of Us are taking Our CRF 250 for a ride so it won't be a high speed trip(Well not on the straights anyway Ha Ha) See everyone tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.