More 250's on the way?

jon

Nov 3, 2006
Leafing through back copies of this years MCNs, I noticed that Yamaha will be producing a R250, a harder edged sports 250 to compete with the 250 Ninja and Suzuki are apparently producing a GSXR 250 to do the same. Both bikes are likely to be twins. I wonder if either will be available here and if Honda will be doing the same?

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
I'd say if they're smart, they will bring in 250s for under 200K THB; the Thai market is ready, and small Kawasakis are flying out the door. Honda is usually careful, they wait and see how many units can be sold, let other makers take the risk. They got the biggest market share by far, even if they join in later they'll outsell the others...

Aug 5, 2007
But will they be up to the western spec bike or a Thai spec bike? As we have seen with the Kawasaki Ninga 250R, KLX 250 and D-tracker X which all seem to have had corners cut to save on the R.R.P.

Sep 24, 2008
The only difference i can see is tyres (the US ninja had bridgestone and dunlop sourced in the US not irc's) and thats logistics rather than price cutting. also as far as i'm aware the 2009 ninja's in the US have irc's now as well. also if any price cutting was there then thats the yanks wanting a bike under 4,000$ so they had carbs not FI like we have here.
So we have FI and the US,Aus have carbs but we have irc tyres they HAD dunlop etc.
All told i think we are on a winner here in LOS.
Happy days Allan

Aug 5, 2007
I have noticed that the new Kawasaki D-tracker is around 10kg heavier than the original Japanese D-tracker.The engine block looks identical although the Thai D-tracker has some sort of fuel injection system. I am aware that the Thai model does not have Excel wheels as standard but this cannot account for the 9% weight increase? On the Thai D-tracker the rear swing-arm is not as bulky/solid looking in construction, both the front and rear disc's seem to be a thinner width, all the plastics seem to be of a lighter mould, and the actual brake and clutch levers are smaller. Considering these points the Thai D-tracker should actually be a lighter bike but it has increased by 9% in weight to 129kg. I can only ask the question - why with all these visable variations does the bike put on over 9% its foreign counterparts weight. :?:

jon

Nov 3, 2006
Also saw a picture of the 2009 Honda XR250. All new with alloy frame, upside down forks, steering damper and a liquid cooled engine ( but not the same as a CRF )
Supposed to be in the deal;ers in 2009 and was to have been debuted at the Cologne show. But haven't been able to find out anymore.

KZ

Aug 20, 2003
Hmmm, could be - Honda sees KLX250s flying out the door, realize the market is ready, and bring in XR250s for 190K which leaves Kawa holding the bag...