Mostly new little bike rider planning to ride the Ho Chi Minh Trail

Jun 21, 2015
Hello, I'm a mostly new rider. I never really rode a motorcycle before. But I wanted to see some of Indonesia, so I rented a little scooter and drove it all around Bali, then to Lombok, Sumbawa, and Flores and back to Bali. It was quite an adventure, and the little scooter worked out well. I even drove it offroad, up a dirt trail to see a volcano!

With that under my belt, I want to buy a bike in Ho Chi Minh City, and drive the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Maybe continue to Laos and Cambodia if things are going well. We'll see. Ideally I'd like to buy some kind of little semi-automatic, like a Honda Wave or something. It looks like most folks use Wins, but I don't know how to drive a manual. Now I'm reading a blog of a guy who did it on a little automatic scooter, so it looks like that's an option too.

Anyway, now I am in Bangkok, which seems like my last good chance to buy gear, such as a tent. I didn't need a tent in Indonesia, as there was always somewhere to stay. Places were basic, and in a sense they were like camping inside, but I always had a roof over my head.

Can I expect the same in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia?

Thanks!

terrytreks

rcm273

Nov 3, 2013
Hat Yai, TH
I wouldn't see the need for a tent. I have one here in Thailand, that i bought from big C for 300B. The missus refuses to use it, so it lives under the stairs.

Small hotels exist everywhere for a variety of reasons. Local tourism, travelling salesmen & workforce. I'm sure, along with everyone else - have checked into reasonably looking hotels, only to find its a brothel.