MOTORBIKING IN SOUTHERN LAOS - Bike rental advice

bvt617

Apr 1, 2008
Hello all. I am planning a solo ride through Sothern Laos in May 09. More than happy for anyone reading this to join me if they wish. I'll have about a week to kill but have not yet firmed up any dates in May.

I would be greatful if someone could advise the bike rental situation in Pakxe, Laos. ie types and quality of bikes available there, reliability of the vendors, cost etc. As an alternative option, I have also thought about setting off from Ubon Ratchathani in Thailand and maybe hiring a bike from there to take accross the border at Chong Mek before getting to Pakxe if it means getting ahold of a better machine. Looking for a Honda 250 or the like. My preference would be to hire in Pakxe if I can to avoid the hassle of crossing back and returning to Ubon if I can, as I intend to fly further North in Laos and hire again in Vientiane for more biking adventures in the north.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Fairburn
Sydney, Australia
[email [email protected]][email protected][/email]

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Matey

I think you better post this to LAO section as the guys there know the best,, but im sure ModDave going to move this to there automatically

Are you staying in Ubon? or just passing by?

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
bvt617 wrote: Hello all. I am planning a solo ride through Sothern Laos in May 09. More than happy for anyone reading this to join me if they wish. I'll have about a week to kill but have not yet firmed up any dates in May.

I would be greatful if someone could advise the bike rental situation in Pakxe, Laos. ie types and quality of bikes available there, reliability of the vendors, cost etc. As an alternative option, I have also thought about setting off from Ubon Ratchathani in Thailand and maybe hiring a bike from there to take accross the border at Chong Mek before getting to Pakxe if it means getting ahold of a better machine. Looking for a Honda 250 or the like. My preference would be to hire in Pakxe if I can to avoid the hassle of crossing back and returning to Ubon if I can, as I intend to fly further North in Laos and hire again in Vientiane for more biking adventures in the north.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Fairburn
Sydney, Australia
[email [email protected]][email protected][/email]
Ken
Hmmhh, what to advise. Probably best if you start here...
1. New Users
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... -t555.html
2. Laos Bike Rental
https://www.gt-rider.com/laos-motorcycle ... ation.html
3. Motorcycle Rental In Laos
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... s-t86.html
4. Crossing Borders
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-laos-c ... sings.html

bvt617

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks guys. I did go back over the Laos bike rental info on the pages you suggested David but most of it seems to relate to hire out of Vientiane. There is some good info there though. As far as Pakxe is concerned, there was one place mentioned there (the Lan Kham Hotel - XR250's for $20 per day) but that was posted way back on October 2004. Anyway, it seems as though it is a safer bet to try and hire in Pakxe if possible rather than attempt to cross with a hired bike from Ubon in Thailand.

I'll be spending a couple of week in Laos all up, and Marco, yes I will definitely be stopping for a night or 2 in Ubon Ratchathani before I set off for Laos.

Kevin

Moto-Rex

Subscribed
Jan 5, 2008
The latest Lonely Planet Laos guide has a list of places in Pakse that hire motor bikes.

Moto-Rex

Pauche

Mar 2, 2006
bvt617: you can try Jules Classic rental. I had special arrangements for the bike to be dropped off in Pakse, so that i can exit to Ubon. So I'm sure he can do that for you to pick the bike up in Pakse.

marco: I'll be in Pakse tomorrow to return the rented bike, and then onto Ubon Ratchathani on Monday for one night. do you have any budget hotels to recommend in Ubon?

Thanks!!