Motorcycle clothes accessories Made in Vietnam

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

I was visiting my friends at BMW Motorrad Paris Etoile, this afternoon and i was surprised to discover that the whole range of BMW clothes (trousers, jackets and others) are "Made in Vietnam".

I was as well horrified by the average price of it and I wonder if it won't be possible to source these, directly from Vietnam.

Does anybody knows about it ?

I already pointed out years ago that a French helmet maker was producing his helmets in Vietnam (ROOF http://www.roof.fr/ ). It seems that Vietnam is definitivbely a good source for motorbike gears.

Thanks to keep me posted, I'll be back begining August in LOS.

Aug 7, 2003
I think if you had something manufactured overseas in a cheap labour country in you own factory you would not allow local sales on the cheap. Most investment laws even forbid this. There are places in China etc to buy out the "back door" but usually these are "seconds" ie failed the quality control and supposedly destroyed. Most North American outdoor/cycling/accessory companies use Asia as a manufacturing base.ie North Face, MEC(Canada) and hundreds more.Probably the same in Europe, Australasia.

But then if someone could find the "back door" of the factories in Vietnam I would be a customer.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

harrythefinn, thanks for your answer and your reminder on geo-economy.

In fact, you perfectly catched what I meant, the issue is to find the "back door" as you call it. I remember few years ago you could find on Ho Chi Minh market some Jaccadi baby clothes and other well known brand baby clothes as it was some "leaks" from the factory who produuced it.

My purpose would be to find these places as GT Friends are traveling quite a lot across these places I am sure we could find interesting sources.

Dougal

Dec 18, 2007
This is unconfirmed but some Thai friends said they saw these kind of products at the market under? or near the bridge at the Mae Sai border crossing.
They could'nt be sure about where they were made; most of them thought China but not sure.

Maybe the guys up North can tell us.

Aug 29, 2008
I was in mae sai this week and they had some alpinestar leathers which looked good, in a couple of shops in the market,also some good quality armoured cordura jackets from unknown chinese brands "duhan",for which they asked 4-5000bt
and some "backdoor" name brand clothing(not mainstream enough to be copies)

jimoi

Nov 17, 2004
There is a manufacturer in Hanoi, Cong Ty 20 and they make quality jackets and pants. They are re-labeled in the EU as some German outfit and sell pretty high. I'm unsure if Cong Ty 20 has a shop anymore but there is a store in the Hanoi Towers (russian store) that sells the pants and jackets direct.

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

Thanks for all this feedback, it is obvious that there are opportunities to find some good bargains.

It would be usefull to permanantly maintain this post up to date according to finding then ouir GT-Rider communauty could take advantage of it quite rapidly as I suppose with limited quantities the information should be valid for a limited time as well.

Thanks again to keep it alive this list by your contribution.

At date, we have possible sources:

-In VietNam at Hanoi Towers (Russian Building) -Jimoi-

-In LOS:
-Near Mae Sai border crossing -Dougal & Alrikki-

Aug 5, 2007
All the top of the range Shark helmets are produced in Thailand (factory near Rayong) and Roof helmets are made in Vietnam and sadly you cannot find a dealer of them here in Thailand ... So I think you have no chance of getting the gear cheap here... unless you know a theif that works there.

Sep 1, 2009
Its a fact that many branded goods such as alpinestars/shark/fox and the likes are produced all over asia,.if you "know" people these can be got in small numbers, i know of such a thai guy in pattaya that goes to vietnam and buys a van load of billabong and quiksilver on a regualr basis, and a while back there were a lot of sharks floating around pattaya !,.but actually these factories are customs bonded and the goods made there are (supposed to be ) for export only,,Fox for instance, do you really think the sellers with it in BKK have imported it from the USA !,.the thais are very good at keeping a secret unlike farang,,they dont bite the hand that feeds them by revealing their source, :)

HIKO

Nov 7, 2005
I know the names of a few Vietnamese factories that are producing riding gears for several European "Brand Names" but they are thoroughly controlled and does not leak.

Alpinestars are making boots etc in China but I don't believe that those Alpine Stars products you find at the Burma border markets are genuine products. Maybe there is another factory who copies the originals.

The story behind the Sharks helmets that were available all over Thailand a few years is as follows. The factory in Rayon that manufactures Shark (ACT Advanced Composite Technology) had a lot of Shark helmets that had an expired European homologation and could not be sold to Europe. Instead they gave the helmets as a "year bonus" to the workers who quickly sold them to Red Baron etc.

Another interesting Thai manufacturer who sells huge amounts of "brand" sprockets to US and Europe is JT-sprockets between Bangkok and Chonburi. Jt is by far the biggest replacement sprocket in Europe but distributed through a English company. But there you have the sprockets so close to you but they will not sell them direct to you. You have to order them from Europe. Red Baron has been able to buy some sprockets but they had to buy 100 pcs of each.... It is the same thing with KN-filters, and Uniflo filters both big brands in Europe and made in Thailand but it is difficult to get them direct from the factory here.

Another funny story is the Heinz Gericke leather suits. Heinz Gericke is the largest retail chain for motorcyclist gears in Europe. The leathers come from a factory on Batam Island just 30 minutes south of Singapore in Indonesia. I wonder what the workers think about the heavy leather products when they are sweating in the 30C heat....

HIKO

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
HIKO wrote: Alpinestars are making boots etc in China but I don't believe that those Alpine Stars products you find at the Burma border markets are genuine products. Maybe there is another factory who copies the originals.

HIKO
Agree 100% on the Alpinestars copies in Tachilek - cheap imitation copies! Dont be fooled.

Sep 22, 2008
Hiko. You can get the Jt sprockets from LINK associates in Bangkok. They also do lots of HD stuff. I used to order direct from the JT factory, but made the mistake of canceling an order. They refused to deal with me after that. Allan

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends, Hiko, ThaiCBR, DirtBikeMike,

Thanks for your contribution, slowly but surely we are building up our supplier address book, would be interesting to think if David could od something on coordinated purchase ?

ThaiCBR, could you give the detailed coordinates of LINK Associates, please ?

Auke

Nov 10, 2003
Azoulay,

Look at http://linkassothai.com/about_us.php where you will find this:

LINK ASSOCIATES (THAILAND) CO., LTD.

"LINK" is engaged in international trading business specializing in motorcycle spare parts and accessories. Unlike other trading company, we have own stock warehouse which enable us to supply our customer full range of products even in a small quantity. Currently we are a worldwide exclusive distributor of quality motorcycle rims and spokes under "UAM" brand, MAXUM-TECH high performance oil filters and JMR parts and accessories for Harley Davidson. In addition, we are a distributor of many quality products such as

We work 6 days a week from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday-Saturday

Our export department & head quarter is located at 6 Lardprao Soi 128, Lardprao Road, Wangthonglang, Bangkok 10310, Thailand

Our show room & warehouse is located at 185/44 Navamin Road., Lard Prao Sub-district, Bangkapi, Bangkok 10310, Thailand

Our Northern showroom & warehouse is located at no. 115/19 Moo 2 Photaram Road., Tambon Chang Puak, Muang, Chieng Mai 50300, Thailand

You can visit us at any location whichever is the nearer for you or contact us at the following contact numbers:

HEAD OFFICE
Tel: +662 934 1518 to 21
Fax: +662 934 1522

WAREHOUSE-BANGKAPI
Tel: 084 6806884

Aug 7, 2003
I can recommend LINK , I get all my XR650 front sprockets from them, ATM transfer the money ,receive the sprockets EMS or pick up from Bangkok. Good prices for 10 pcs. For the rears unfortunately have found that only Sidewinder Ti Moly lasts (their chain and fronts don't).

Also all RAM mounts and GPS bases from Gadgetrend in BKK(www.gadgetrend.com). Good , timely service.

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
harrythefinn wrote:
Also all RAM mounts and GPS bases from Gadgetrend in BKK(www.gadgetrend.com). Good , timely service.
I can recomend gadgetrend guys as well, i got what i was looking for, very efficient delivery and communication with lot's of optios to choose.
very good place to online shopping

May 25, 2006
HuaHin
Hi Friends,

A new address to add to the address book, quite useful in thailand for those who are interested in bikes and bike parts...

Maybe David could open a page on his site with all relevant information with web links and others...

Thanks to all of you for your contribution, please keep on.

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
Gents
I tracked down the shop in Hanoi Towers
hanoi-bike-shop010.jpg

It is mainly an outdoor gear type of shop, but with quite a few very good quality motorcycle jackets & pants.

The range & selection is however limited to one-offs. 1 jacket / pants of one brand. No gloves. I saw items of Dainese, Fox & Alpinestars, plus a few other pieces with brand names that I did not recognize.

All items were very good quality - the real thing - but I saw no real mesh, which is what I look for in the tropics.

I was not allowed to take any photos, which leads me to believe all the items are coming from out the back door of the manufacturers; & should NOT be available locally.
If you live & ride in the tropics & are looking for mesh I think the shop could be a waste of time, but why not have a look for something to do?
If you live & ride in cooler climates then I'm sure some of the pants & jackets will be good value, US$50-70 a piece roughly, but it won’t be easy to get your size or brand.

Good luck.

Jan 9, 2011
Davidfl;256015 wrote: Gents
I tracked down the shop in Hanoi Towers
Thanks David.
I'm a Vietnamese biker but dont know much abt those source.
As I know, there are many Big Brands, they have the manufactures in Vietnam, with local workers.
Most of their products have to be sent back to the original Country (of the company), i.e. Italy, German, UK.... Then from those Countries, they made some little more modification, addition... and put the mark "made in UK", "made in Germany..." and thru to the world wide market.
The price is now not in Vietnam anymore. It 's EU price :-D
We also very hardly to get the product from Vietnam before they officially selling on the market, unless we are lucky and there are some insiders willing to take the things out of the manufactures.