Motorcycle Headlight Modulators In Thailand?

Dec 27, 2007
Motorcycle Headlight Modulators In Thailand? Anyone use one or even see one in the Land of Smiles?

While I've read a lot about headlight modulators and brake flashers I've never seen either one on a motorcycle here in Thailand. They seem to have become quite popular back in the US and I agree that anything that increases your visibility on two wheels is a good thing!

pathBlazer-anim6.gif

There are dozens of headlight modulators on the market- most are made to fit just about any bike. The "VisiPath" Headlight Modulator from Comagination and the Pathfinder from Kisan have received very good reviews.

Here are links to reviews of both:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/comagination/visipath/visipath.htm

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/modulator.htm

I wonder if this would be popular here in Thailand? Big bikes make up such a small percentage of the bikes on the roads and sorry to say, but judging from the sorry state of helmet use in this country I can't imagine too many "average" Thais spending even 20 Baht on a product like this. (Average cost of most headlight modulators is closer to US$100)

As for the rest of us who care about our lives I imagine it would be easy enough to order a modulator online and have it sent to Thailand. It's such a small item it's likely to arrive untaxed.

What do you guys think? Worthwhile product or a waste of time and money here in Thailand?

Happy Trails!

Tony

Feb 5, 2007
I wonder if they are legal.

I wanted my hot rod wired for constant on headlights and was told that it is illegal to have the lights on in the day. Perhaps they are confused that I may masquerade as a Phuyai in my motorcade speeding down the road with reckless abandon

Dec 27, 2007
Hoghead wrote: I wonder if they are legal.

I wanted my hot rod wired for constant on headlights and was told that it is illegal to have the lights on in the day. Perhaps they are confused that I may masquerade as a Phuyai in my motorcade speeding down the road with reckless abandon
Good question - are headlight modulators legal in Thailand? Well, I guess that's really up to the Brown Mafia isn't it? :crazy:

When you say "Hot Rod" you mean car? I didn't know it's illegal to run with your headlights on during the day... I know people switch on their headlights during big rain storms and such. I know I've driven out of dark parking garages with my lights on and have never been hassled by the BiB... Maybe just lucky? :wink:

Ride On!

Tony

Sep 22, 2008
In Laos it is illegal but here in Thailand it is not. Most new scooters do not even come with an on/off switch for the lights.

Feb 5, 2007
Bikes yes, but are daytime lights legal for cars?

More importantly is the headlight modulator legal

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
I did read in some time ago in the news paper that in the motorbike it's mandatory have riding light on during day time,, but of course it's NOT regulated in many place,, but im sure it's mandatory have them on during day time now days

Jul 11, 2010
Interesting discussion. In Bangkok, the police will stop motorbikes being driven without lights in during the day, but somehow I feel that the big bikes may occasionally be exempted from this rule, of they have some lights on such as parking lights for example. In Thailand, the law is more flexible than in Europe. Here, much seems to depend on the individual policeman and how he interprets the situation.

Aug 13, 2009
Lights are a life saver in Thailand - after I fixed powerful auxiliary lamps the on-coming traffic was much less aggressive. Modulating them could still increase this effect - at day and night time. However modulating my main driving lights would negatively affect my own vision I could imaging?

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
speedybuffalo wrote: Lights are a life saver in Thailand - after I fixed powerful auxiliary lamps the on-coming traffic was much less aggressive. Modulating them could still increase this effect - at day and night time. However modulating my main driving lights would negatively affect my own vision I could imaging?
The headlight works normally after dark.

Mar 15, 2003
www.daveearly.com
speedybuffalo wrote: and you wanna modulate head lights? how does this affect your own vision?
See the post above yours. The headlight does not modulate after dark so it does not affect your vision at all (unless you need the light to see in the daytime.)

Sep 8, 2009
Hi, Yes I have headlight modulators on my BMW K1200LT & Goldwing 1800, 42,000ks on the BMW never had a problem with BIB. From a safety point .. brilliant .. got from Kisan Colorado USA .. hope this helps.... Edd

Nov 7, 2007
I am not sure this is totally relevant but for a cheap and cheerful solution there's hand guards with LED lights for sale here in CM for 790 baht. They supposedly fit on the Versys - they don't look quite as tough as the ones selling for 4 - 5,000 but they do have LED lights built in....