My LITTLE Adventure Up North

Aug 24, 2009
Trip Facts:
my ride : kawasaki ksr 110
Start Point: Singapore
duration of trip : 5 weeks (11th April 2008 - 18th May 2008)
places covered :

Thailand - hatyai, phuket, surat thani, koh phangan, bangkok, chiangmai, mae sariang, mae hong son, ban rak thai, pai, mae ai, golden triangle, chiang saen, nong khai, nakhon ratchasima

Laos - houay xai, pak beng, luang pra bang, vang vieng, vieng chang

M'sia - fraser's hill, and the entire North-South Highway

Total dist : approx 9000km (7000km on road, 2000km on train, ferry and slow boat along mekong river)

map.jpg

Expenditure on fuel : SGD$220(and that's an over estimation =D)

Total expenditure : SGD$2200 (including after market parts and accessories)

Prologue

the thought of touring on my ksr crossed my mind several times, and more often than not, the stupefied looks or "huh? you siao ah?" comments usually greet my shared thoughts over teh peng. one day, i just decided to do it. i think that's what happens when you bum around too much.

having just returned from a UK trip and only a week to Songkran, i only had 4 days or so to prepare for the big adventure. Didn't make plans and stuff as the trip was only confirmed when i got back from UK. So basically, i just made up my mind(well, with the help of a few factors), packed and left. The void of uncertainty excited me. i didn't even know when i would return.

initial plan was to ride up to penang, stay overnight den continue to hatyai the next day, but there was still much to be done, so i postponed departure by a day, so i could have enough rest as well, but then again, how the hell can anyone sleep before a trip like this?!

D-Day 11th April, 0000 hours

i saddled up my little warrior and headed for the 2nd link. 2 close friends from my riding group were at GP esso to send me off. The trip was only disclosed to a few people. with a few photos and well-wishes, i rode off into the night of the NSH

DSC02157.jpg

DSC02158-1.jpg

my little mascot, tiny yet mighty
DSC02167-1.jpg

taking shelter from the rain. i was too lazy to put on a raincoat. not that i had one anyway!
DSC02170-1.jpg
]

meeting a convoy of m'sian bikers at a petrol stop
DSC02175-1.jpg

riding from night till day
DSC02176-1.jpg

14 hours later, i finally reached the thai border. it poured like crazy before the border, but curiously enough, the rest of the bikers seem dry -..-"
DSC02179-1.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
rained again after i cleared thai customs. Reached Hatyai and checked into Sakura Hotel @800bht per night. In the condition i was in, the last thing i wanted was to ride around looking for a cheap guesthouse.
IMG_8133-1.jpg

a little mishap along the NSH, didn't fall, but busted my ankle and limped around for a few days. That's what happens when u don't rest enough before a long ride. Well, could've been worse!
DSC02183-1.jpg

Day 2 - 12th April 2008

woke up early but took my time to get ready to check out. was abit annoyed when i found out the 800bht didn't include a breakfast. moved off around 11am for phuket

enroute to phuket along highway No.43
DSC02185-1.jpg

stopped for lunch after Trang and met a group of m'sian road king riders. Apparently they set off from hatyai at 8am, but got lost along the way. It pays to do a little homework before each ride :D
DSC02186-1.jpg

shortly after continuing my way, i encountered a flat tyre. i discovered my tyre repair kit was useless, as it wasn't a puncture. The tyre valve joint had "melted" due to overheating of the tyres. i guess it was because i didn't rest at all the fuel stops and allow the tyres to cool, just pump and go. Managed to ride to a nearby motorshop, had the valve replaced with a stainless steel one used on car tyres and probably bigger bikes. Damage was only 300bht, and took less than 20 mins.
DSC02188-1.jpg

continuing my way to phuket with the sun setting soon
DSC02192-1.jpg

IMG_8140-1.jpg

was nightfall by the time i reached phuket town. first thing i did was to head to an internet cafe to look for a cheap accomodation. found what i was looking for and made my way there. The hostel was better that what i imagined, in fact one of the best hostels i've seen.

the nicely decorated reception
IMG_8162-1.jpg

the lounge with free internet access, 42in LCD tv and a HUGE collection of DVDs and books available free to hostel guests, mostly travelers and backpackers
IMG_8150-1.jpg

the super friendly staff and a dutch traveler i met
IMG_8170-1.jpg

some more travelers. basically i hung out with this BIG group of travelers during songkran, and the cool thing was no one knew each other before, but we had loads of fun chilling out and partying
IMG_8161-1.jpg

the clean and spanky common toilet and shower
IMG_8155-1.jpg

nicely decorated hostel with a cosy feel
IMG_8156-1.jpg

this swedish guy i met had a sunburn. a visit to the doctor revealed 2nd degree burns. i felt bad for laughing at him the day before, when he was reeaally red like a lobster, but then again, we all had a good laugh, even him
IMG_8178-1.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 3 - 13th April 2008, Songkran Day

headed to patong beach with some of my dorm-mates. Huge jam due to the water festival, and the bus was ambushed several times along the way
DSC02197-1.jpg
]
DSC02203-1.jpg

DSC02205-1.jpg

chilled at the beach and suntanned for awhile
IMG_8152.jpg

on the way back to the hostel, we walked along the street facing patong beach and joined the water fight. bought some beers from this restaurant and we had unlimited access to water! (passer-bys asking to refill their water guns had to pay 10bht) didn't manage to take any pictures, considering the situation.

18 of us from the hostel headed out to patong beach again for the songkran partying. the waterfights were insane and it was something you had to experience to know what it's like. No pictures, and no prizes for guessing why.

Aug 24, 2009
Day 4 to 8 - 14th April to 18th April

chilled in phuket for a week while waiting for a friend who was flying over. Set off for Surat Thani for the full moon party

my bike on the night ferry to Koh Phangan
IMG_8203-1.jpg

Day 9-11 - 19th to 21st April, Koh Phangan, Full Moon Party

IMG_8205-1.jpg

dirt roads on the eastern part of the island
DSC02225-1.jpg

there was an election going on, and alot of speculation that the party would be moved to the 21st, by then which i would have to be on the train to bangkok. luckily the date stick, and i had a helluva time

a notice in 7-11
DSC02223-1.jpg

row of stalls selling buckets of cheap booze
DSC02228-1.jpg

n517371714_553449_8952.jpg

DSC02235-1.jpg

heading back to Surat Thani on the HUGE ferry
DSC02236-1.jpg

the interior of the ferry, taking up cars, pickups, lorries and even tour buses
IMG_8216-1.jpg

waiting for the night train to bangkok
IMG_8224-1.jpg

loading up to the cargo carriage.
IMG_8226-1.jpg

1100bht for first class sleeper ticket, 800bht for bike. Don't approach travel agencies to get you tickets and accommodation, they will tell you there are no more tickets or rooms and "force" you to take up the more expensive rooms. I made such a mistake and paid 1500 bht for my first class ticket, 400bht more than getting it straight from the counters. Not really my style, but then again, a friend who flew over to meet me for the party arranged the tickets and stuff.:slapforehead:

Aug 24, 2009
Day 12-17 : Bangkok

as much as i disliked the city for its fast paced, chaotic feel as well as not-as-friendly locals in general, i hung out in Bangkok for a bout a week. Explored a good part of the city, mostly to bikes shops in search of parts. Didn't do the usual tourist sight-seeing. Traffic in Bangkok is crazy, and the worse thing is, the road signs are totally different from those on the maps, even when it's the same road! Out of the few days i was out battling the Bangkok traffic, i got lost every time, but somehow always manage to find my way back to the guesthouse, and each time swearing never to ride in Bangkok traffic again :slapforehead:

Hu Lam Pong train station, Bangkok
IMG_8229-1.jpg

the guest house i stayed in, 450bht a night, air-con
IMG_8241-1.jpg

the cosy room
IMG_8231-1.jpg

I casually mentioned to the receptionist about not having a rack or anything in the rooms to hang towels or clothes with, well, except for the doorknob, curtain bar and my mobile phone charger sticking out from the wall socket. 10 mins later, they sent a guy up to install one! i was actually planning to move out to another guesthouse the next day, but that made me stay on for a few more days =). Highly recommended, clean environment, good security
IMG_8236-1.jpg

IMG_8240-1.jpg

MBK, a huge shopping mall popular with tourists and locals. On just on section on the electronics level, there were almost 100 shops selling handphones!
IMG_8250-1.jpg

crazy traffic
IMG_8245-1.jpg

found the cheap canal boat which took me back to near my guesthouse
IMG_8263-1.jpg

dinner of chicken noodle soup with lots of chilli flakes. yumm....
IMG_8281-1.jpg

i found an A&W during one of night rides out, and gave in to temptation. It was a good thing as well, because 5 minutes after i started eating, it rained cats and dogs outside. At least i got to nap comfortably(oops) on the cushioned seats while waiting for the rain to stop!
IMG_8282-1.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
some place i chanced across on the way back to the guesthouse, didn't walk in though, was raining and was only stopping to check my maps. looked pretty sleazy
IMG_8284-1.jpg

Boredom at a traffic junction. Somehow the traffic light timers seem to take longer than indicated. I could've dismounted, take a leak, take a photo and get back on my bike with time to spare. Well, i didn't do that of course!
DSC02248-1.jpg

movie crew filming at Khao San Road
DSC02246-1.jpg

aspirations of a little girl?
DSC02252.jpg

Khao San Road at night. This begger literally dragged himself down the whole stretch of road
IMG_8295-1.jpg

bbq meat on sticks, kinda like satay with extras
IMG_8307-1.jpg

the famous thai pancakes. Banana chocolate... and i'm craving for some now...
IMG_8317-1.jpg

the hot girls of Lava bar. The sight of them posing drew a lot of catcalls :D
IMG_8320-1.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 18 - Ride to Chiang Mai

woke up around 4:30am, and left for chiang mai by 5:30am, so that i could avoid the morning Bangkok traffic.

petrol stop along the way, saw this big group of young monks. Think they were going away for a retreat at some monastary.
IMG_8329-1.jpg

gigantic birds along the highway, indicating a bird park up ahead
IMG_8337-1.jpg

recycling a war relic
IMG_8340-1.jpg

Chiang Mai at last
IMG_8354.jpg

i check into a backpackers' hostel just out of the main town. nice cosy place, met lots of nice people. I actually prefer hostels to guesthouses because it sorta forces you to interact and allows you to get to know alot of travelers and hear their stories. Great for chilling when you're traveling alone
IMG_8395-1.jpg

comfy living room where dvds of your own choice are screened
IMG_8378-1.jpg

the friendly staff. This hostel is unique in a way that there are actually quite a few of travellers who stay for weeks or months, while some actually help to run the place in return for free lodging and food. Jim, the guy on the left, was one of them
IMG_8376-2.jpg

the patio out front, great place to chill or read a book on the bamboo platform
IMG_8389.jpg

this girl could really play the guitar very well, and had a great voice. i later found out she's an actress back in the UK
IMG_8383-1.jpg

explore the nearby university. found this lake in the campus, where alot of students here hanging out
IMG_8359.jpg

breathe-taking views, despite the gloomy weather
IMG_8373-1.jpg

a class being conducted by the lake. nice change from the normal environment
IMG_8375-1.jpg

at night, the hostel staff brought us to this place that was popular with the local. The ambience was great, and food was pretty cheap and very good, considering the classy feel of the place.
IMG_8399-1.jpg

IMG_8405-1.jpg

cam-whoring in the back of the hostel-owned truck, which brought everyone from place to place
IMG_8407-1.jpg

riding on top of the hostel's truck. how often do you get to do that? ha...
IMG_8411.jpg

IMG_8434.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
after dinner, the staff brought us for a few rounds of bowling. 100bht for 3 rounds.
IMG_8413.jpg

IMG_8416.jpg

IMG_8424.jpg

IMG_8421.jpg

our ridiculous scores! i think we had more fun trying to make funny shots than playing a proper game of bowling!
IMG_8423.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 21 - Mae Hong Son Loop

the next day, i packed up my stuff and bade my new friends farewell
IMG_8437.jpg

soon, i saw the sign that many tourers have seen. It was almost hard to believe i had made it this far
6666c678.jpg

did a detour to Doi Ithanon National Park. Saw this magnificent wat just after the turn towards the park
904ecbf8.jpg

Funny thing was, the whole time i was in thailand, everyone thought i was thai, even locals, and they would always speak thai to me. there were some advantages to it though, i could actually save some money if i played along. One such instance was the entry into the National Park. I saw a huge sign before the ticket booth which said "Adult 450bht, Child xxbht" and then some thai words, which i knew were prices for locals. So i rode up to the counter, the lady looks at me and says "hok sip baaaht", which means 60baht. for i moment, my mental thai numerals failed me, and i had to open my BIG mouth and say "what?". The counter girl gave me this surprised and embarrassed look, and went "oh! foreigner 400bht!!!" smartass...

entering the national park
ef1243dd.jpg

the cool ride to the top
5355ee43.jpg

and finally i reach the top, which wasn't as impressive as i thought it'd be, save for the famous sign which says it all
4557ec60.jpg

197ee2dc.jpg

8b183639.jpg

with the 400bht photo safely in my memory card, i proceeded to decend the mountain, or whatever it's called.

great scenery along the way
cd523d0e.jpg

i actually did abit of off road and went down under the bridge. if i were riding a normal sized tourer, i might have ended up at the bottom of the waterfall
5601c577.jpg

another wat. there's like SO many wats in thailand that every small town actually has at least one of them. And my whole trip, i only explored like 2 out of hundreds of them
5dbb6091.jpg

by the time i saw this sign, the sun was starting to set. things wasn't looking too good...
ac130feb.jpg

another national park along the way, but time was running out
76134380.jpg

it turned dark soon enough, i rode a good part of the stretch to mae sariang in total darkness. my headlight didn't really help, as it blew before and i changed to some thai replacement. it was kinda thrilling though, cuz i didn't know what to expect, and the road seemed to go on forever

finally! that was the provincial sign, and it meant that i have reached Mae Sariang
aca4fd82.jpg

checked into a guesthouse for 200bht, air-con with shower. rested early for the night and woke up early to continue my journey to mae hong son

Aug 24, 2009
Day 22

a nice neighbour of the guesthouse owners. she actually passed me a map of mae hong son when she learnt i was heading there
63beadb9.jpg

random photos of mae sariang
6f88408c.jpg

5ba72749.jpg

e63a289c.jpg

38444ceb.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 22 (continue)

as i carried on my way from mae sariang, i met and hung out with some "locals" along the way :D
71011996.jpg

79657ec7.jpg

an interesting sight... there was only one of it for miles around, wonder what it symbolizes
7c9a8383.jpg

some of the roads were nicely paved, looked almost fresh
646ede1e.jpg

while some were shitty, but nothing my little lamb couldn't handle
7a985eb8.jpg

the famous curves of Mae Hong Son lived up to her reputation(ok, that almost sounds kinky, but what the hell...) She was rough and wild most of the times, occasionally gentle enough to slow down the pace for me to catch my breath and enjoy the ride. Then there were moments of extreme tightness that would take my breath away in fleeting moments of exhilaration. My rubbers were used to the max, and deep down, i was worried the constant rubbing and friction would puncture the rubbers, leaving me with a heavy responsibility... :angel:
391a9e62.jpg

one of the tight curves
593bd07c.jpg

my number! almost there
634c911c.jpg

e6409a6f.jpg

somewhere along the way, both my tyres went straight over this block of wood which was lying parallel to the direction of travel, at 70kph!
a35a8e42.jpg

for a split second, i had a balls wrenching moment mixed with a feeling of being airborne. somehow i managed to land straight when a sense of dread came over me, fearing that my tyre must've taken some damage. i quickly stopped to check for damages, but there were none! *big sigh of relief

soon after, i reached my destination for the day
49c32601.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 23 - Ride to Pai/ the day cyclone Nargis struck

i woke up about 7 to a gllomy weather. Contemplated on waiting for the rain to subside, but decided to set off anyway. Headed for the popular wat in mae hong son town, which overlooked the entire town.
2ca48d73.jpg

e97156ed.jpg

the view of mae hong son from the wat
1ac11012.jpg

81b274b0.jpg

proceeded to ride to one of the "nearby" karen trips along the way. made a pretty far detour through a couple of villages before i hit a dirt road, which was stony and muddy due to the prolonged drizzle. i pushed on in hope that the karen village would be close by, but after half an hour of struggling over the muddy and rocky terrain with no signs of the village in sight, i decided to turn back, that was after i skidded on the muddy track and fell. being a ksr, there were no damages sustained, save for a few scuff marks on my handguards.

i had lost almost 2 hours looking for the karen tribe, and the light drizzle didn't help to lighten the mood. when i finally hit back to the main track, i proceeded to ban rak thai, which is a chinese village right at the border of myanmar. the temperature had become so cold that i was shivering even with a raincoat on, so i decided to stay for the night at the chinese village, hoping the weather would be better the next day.

i lost track of time riding in the freezing rain, when i finally reached the village.
i turned into the first guesthouse i found, which happened to be the best one around.
34953001.jpg

ffc3c18f.jpg

the lady landlord with her daughter. they were from yunnan, and spoke mandarin! the feeling of finally being able to speak and be understood was out of this world.
8b1d3971.jpg

the guesthouse happened to be a wine brewery as well, and not the normal grape wines. there was peach, cherry, lychee, etc. the old lady actually let me sample some of the wine, which tasted pretty good. apparently, the wines are not available anywhere else in thailand
4356a0aa.jpg

cleaned up my stuff and bike with the water hose that the lady landlord allowed me to use. after a long hot shower, the lady landlord lent me an umbrella and i went out to explore the small village
5e5c887d.jpg

b9f373c2.jpg

ab586b0d.jpg

4405480b.jpg

89b8b7e4.jpg

7b1c8099.jpg

52d15ee5.jpg

f2d08885.jpg

spent the rest of the evening holed up in the cosy room while the raindrops patted lightly on the roof. read a john grisham novel and retired to bed early, praying for the sun

Aug 24, 2009
Day 24-26 - Pai

my prayers were answered the next day. My stuff had all dried, and i was ready to ride!

a friend of the lady landlord with her grandson
2ab6ee19.jpg

workers of the brewery crushing up fresh cherries for fermenting
b064a967.jpg

d8851011.jpg

before i left, my landlord informed me that her son had told her of a typhoon in myanmar heading towards thailand. weather seemed to say otherwise, with no traces of the rainy weather fews days back.

as i left the village and proceed to Pai, there was a whole stretch of road up in the hills where it became so foggy that visibility was only about 10m
IMG_8725.jpg

the weather was good, cloudy but not in a threatening sort of way. temperatures dipped and the winds up on the higher parts of the hills made it even colder, to the point i was shivering despite my armor jacket and a long sleeve inner top. it warmed up as i descended and i managed to reach Pai by mid-day
IMG_8760.jpg

IMG_8762.jpg

rode around town in search of a guesthouse, and chanced across this beautiful resort style guesthouse tucked away in the outskirts of the main town in the middle of the paddyfields, for only 350bht for a single/double bed bungalow, each with its own rooftop terrace
IMG_8798.jpg

IMG_8773.jpg

IMG_8771.jpg

IMG_8779.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

IMG_8786.jpg

pai soon topped my list of favourite places, and i stayed longer than intended.

the 2 dogs belonging to the lady guesthouse owner
IMG_8794.jpg

parking restrictions
IMG_8814.jpg

IMG_8821.jpg

IMG_8827.jpg

IMG_8838.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
a blackout at night. i learnt that blackouts were common in Pai. good thing is they don't last long. i was wondering about the candle in my room
IMG_8840.jpg

a coffeehouse overlooking the valley
IMG_8844.jpg

IMG_8846.jpg

WWII bridge
IMG_8853.jpg

IMG_8855.jpg

IMG_8861.jpg

IMG_8873.jpg

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8881.jpg

IMG_8886.jpg

a huge swing standing about 4m high played by the kids in a chinese village near Pai
IMG_8901.jpg

IMG_8902-1.jpg

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8906.jpg

IMG_8923.jpg

IMG_8939.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 27

with a heavy heart, i bidded farewell to my friendly hosts, promising to return soon
IMG_8942.jpg

i ride towards Chiangrai, but somehow missed the turn to the city. instead i ended up at the border town of Mae Ai
IMG_8946.jpg

IMG_8948.jpg

Day 28 - to Laos

Thai-Myanmar Border house
IMG_8952.jpg

there was a parade going on
IMG_8956.jpg

IMG_8965.jpg

the opium house
IMG_8974.jpg

IMG_8978.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

i reached the thai-laos border shortly after visiting the golden triangle
IMG_8993.jpg

IMG_8994.jpg

IMG_8996.jpg

ticket for the boat cost me 30bht. i paid 500bht in total to get my bike across. somehow, i think i got chopped :sian:
DSC02273.jpg

DSC02279.jpg

The customs procedure was as confusing as it gets. One can literally cross over to Laos without getting a customs clearing, but the again, don't get caught. Houay Xai was a very laid back town with minimal amenities, accept for a couple of tour agencies and internet cafes. There wasn't even any atms around, and i found out the hard way. I checked into a room by the pier, 150bht with a king-sized bed, and they actually asked me to park in the living room after nightfall!
IMG_9004.jpg

The roads in Laos are left-hand drive, something which i was unaware of until i almost went head on with a motorcycle while i was riding on the left side of the road :sweat: it was wierd at first, being the first time doing left-hand driving, but i got used to it quickly

Aug 24, 2009
Day 28 - Mekong River

i had decided to take the 2-day slow boat to Luang Pra Bang, as it was roughly 500km by road on the map. On top of that, roads to Luang Pra Bang were all unpaved, and i wasn't sure if there would be a place to spend the night if a wasn't able to make it within daylight. Most of the maps of Laos weren't detailed, and what seemed like 100km of a relatively straight route on
the map turned out to be more than 200km of mountainous roads, as i found out later.

my ride secured to the front along with a cub
IMG_9008.jpg

IMG_9010.jpg

judging from the width of the boat, i doubt if a full sized tourer could be loaded. and having seen how the bike was loaded, i definitely wouldn't want to take the risk either. even if they managed to get the bike onto the boat, the risk of the boat crashing into rocks was there. That was what happened to a traveler i met in thailand, who went to Laos a few days after me. Good thing the boat didn't sink. and that was for the slow boat. passengers of the fast boats were required to wear life vests and helmets. go figure...

early birds had the good seat. the latecomers... well, don't even ask.
IMG_9017.jpg

locals making the most of the ride
IMG_9028.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

brown murky waters of the Mekong
IMG_9030.jpg

lunch time
IMG_9051.jpg

sticky rice
IMG_9053.jpg

M.O.C (mekong obstacle course)
IMG_9058.jpg

the boat was so crowded that some endured the noise and fumes from the motor to form a tiny circle beside the huge pile of backpacks
IMG_9064.jpg

local kids selling their wares
IMG_9066.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

a fast boat
IMG_9102.jpg

beer lao, a favourite past-time for many of the travellers
IMG_9113.jpg

IMG_9115.jpg

stopping to let local passengers off. not exactly the best platform
IMG_9128.jpg

a fresh catch
IMG_9137.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 28 (continue)

getting bored from the long ride
IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

evening approaching
IMG_9178.jpg

at long last, we reached our destination for the day
IMG_9184.jpg

and the nerve-wrecking(and expensive:sian: ) process of switching my bike to the other boat leaving for luang pra bang the next day
IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9204.jpg

phew...
IMG_9209.jpg

pak beng, a laid-back little stopover.
IMG_9211.jpg

the generators only operate from 6pm to 10pm each day, that means the whole town didn't have electricity during the snoozing hours. imagine: no lights, no fan, warm weather, stuffy room, mosquitoes all around, and the list goes on...:faint: needless to say, almost everyone didn't get a good night's sleep

Aug 24, 2009
Day 29 - Mekong River, Luang Pra Bang

We woke up early and had a light breakfast, spotting several early birds rushing down to the pier to grab the good seats. Soon after, we were all packed and headed for the pier. All the good seats had been taken, so we moved to the back and stacked up the wooden benches to clear a space on the floor.
IMG_9218.jpg

Moments after boarding, the sky fell on us. The rain was so heavy that it threatened to pound the ferry's roof to smatterings. Some were caught in the sudden downpour.
IMG_9215.jpg

those who arrived later soon followed our more comfortable style of sitting/lying on the floor, and it was almost funny how different the ferry looked compared to yesterday.

the rain cleared about an huor later and we were on our way
IMG_9222.jpg

a pair of siblings sound asleep
IMG_9225.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

the view ahead
IMG_9247.jpg

IMG_9252.jpg

a local came on board with a monitor lizard, and this kid had no qualms about playing with it. Of course, the poor lizard was all tied up
IMG_9263.jpg

some old timers sharing their traveling stories
IMG_9271.jpg

a fellow traveler i met, pretending to be asleep
IMG_9275.jpg

we reached luang pra bang at last around 5pm. I actually managed to unload the bike myself, with a little assistance from one of my travel mate. the last thing i wanted was having to pay another few hundred baht.

Day 30 - Kuang Xi waterfall

i woke up pretty early, planning to ride down to the famous waterfall. Managed to find my way there despite the un-detailed map i got, with thanks to a few helpful locals.
IMG_9278.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

entry to the national park was 20000kip, but it was well worth it, as i soon found out
IMG_9295.jpg

spotted a few playful sunbears in the sanctuary
IMG_9300.jpg

a short trek took me to the beautiful turquoise swimming pools at the bottom of the Kuang Xi falls, Laos' most famous waterfall.
IMG_9307.jpg

IMG_9312.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
the falls had many layers. Each of the photos below are all taken at different levels of the falls
IMG_9323.jpg

IMG_9326.jpg

IMG_9329.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

IMG_9339.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg

IMG_9350.jpg

and at last the foot of the final section of the falls. no swimming allowed here though, but i guess no one's complaining
IMG_9352.jpg

IMG_9355.jpg

on the way up the final section. Even the path looks great
IMG_9361.jpg

the trail only leads to halfway of the final section. Even at halfway, the views were stunning.

looking down...
IMG_9368.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

the upper half
IMG_9374.jpg

IMG_9392.jpg

against my better judgment, i slowly made my way across the waterfall. losing my footing would be, without a doubt, certain death. was it worth it? you bet...
IMG_9382.jpg

didn't have time to explore the rest of the falls, so i quickly made my descent
IMG_9394.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
on the way out, i couldn't resist taking a quick dip, despite not having any swimming gear with me. After coming all this way, what the heck...:angel:(and no, i'm NOT naked!)
IMG_9403.jpg

flame of the forest. never did quite see them bloom back home...
IMG_9399.jpg

made my way back to the hostel before lunch, and had a farewell lunch with my Laos travel mates
IMG_9410.jpg

once again, i was on the road, making my way to vang vieng
IMG_9425.jpg

IMG_9430.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

i reached the small town just before the sun set, and i settled down in a guesthouse by the main road. chilled after dinner to FRIENDS till late. pretty nice place to hang out
IMG_9441.jpg

Day31 - Going Home

Had a long way to go today. Woke up early and set off towards Vientiene, the capital city.
IMG_9445.jpg

IMG_9447.jpg

travelling was easier after i descended the mountainous region, literally a straight road to the capital.

the presidential palace
IMG_9450.jpg

war memorial?
IMG_9451.jpg

left hand drive
IMG_9454.jpg

cleared Laos customs
IMG_9458.jpg

Thai-Laos Friendship bridge
IMG_9465.jpg

clearing customs at Nong Kai
DSC02302.jpg

it felt good to be back in thailand, to be able to use thai baht again. i rode long and hard the rest of the day, and well into the night, experiencing shows along the way before i finally decided to stop at Nakhon Ratchasima. Booked a room @"The Doctor's House for the night and i spotted something familiar
DSC02293.jpg

Aug 24, 2009
Day 32-37(The Final Days)

The next day, i rode the remaining stretch to Bangkok, reaching the edge of the capital city just after noon, with enough time to run errands. I got to the train station literally minutes before it rained cats and dogs, and within half an hour, my bike was checked in and ready to be loaded onto the evening train. The ticket for a 2nd class sleeper cost me 698bht(slightly more for the lower, which also happens to be more spacious), and another 800bht for the bike excluding tips.

the comfy seat which folds into a bed
DSC02296.jpg

DSC02297.jpg

reached surat thani the next morning, and a rather unfortunate thing happened, a nightmare of all tourers. My bike key broke in the fuel cap as i closed the cap after checking fuel level! problem was solved promptly, despite having failed to locate my spare key.

by early noon, i reached hatyai, where i stayed a couple more nights.

I set at noon on Sat the 17th from hatyai, heading in the direction of Fraser's Hill. A group of friends had rode up since morning and i had planned to drop in and surprise them. The sun was beginning to set as i exited the NSH before KL. I had to ride the remaining 30km up the winding roads in total darkness, save for a single car heading up with headlights that wouldn't even dazzle a cockroach.

It seemed to take forever to reach the top, but i breathed easier when street lamps greeted me in the cool foggy night atop Bukit Fraser.

Found a room despite the busy holiday weekend - a triple bed room with shower for 100rm. pretty sweet deal, too bad there was no one to share the room with.
DSC02303.jpg

Located my friends at their resort and hung out for abit before retiring to my room.

Day 38 - The End of the Road

checked out after breakfast and headed out for photos before linking up with my friends for the ride back home

IMG_9471.jpg

met a large convoy of KL bikers on a weekend getaway. One of the guys even approached me and told me he had heard of my trip from his friend whom apparently i met(which i totally have no impression, on the account that i randomly met and chatted briefly with quite alot of bikers on the way up) :cheeky:
IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9480.jpg

linked up with my friends for a final group photo
IMG_9487.jpg

We rushed to make it for the window to descend, and eventually linked up at Ayer Keroh R&R for some good ol' root beer float.

The rest of the journey was smooth, except for a puncture on one of the bikes. And it was my tyre repair kit that saved the day! :angel: haha... shall skip the details on that one.

Everyone made it back home safe and sound, leaving a nice conclusion to my month-long adventure, plus loads of washing to do! :faint:

On a last note, i would like to thank everyone who had made this trip possible, especially to YZFx and FB666Y from SBF for inspiring this ride, and ESR for the support and encouragement along the way.

And Thank You, dear readers, for following me on my journey.:cheers:

Marco

Oct 15, 2006
Khuang Nai
Man that was nice trip and fantastic story, i really read every word and really nicely told and you havde a lot's of fun.
my favorate photo is this
71011996.jpg

The closer you get, The Slower i go,,, haahah,,nice one.

did you make calculation of total cost of your trip?

also that cottages in Pai, middle of the rice paddy, with own roof top terace, what a treat with that money.

Nice trip story, nicely told i give you all 10 point of that and hope to hear and see your next road trip.

Well done mate

Jun 1, 2008
I agree wholeheartedly with Marco, that was a wonderful account and clearly reflective of a fantastic trip altogether. Thanks for taking the time to post and make me jealous

T

Aug 24, 2009
Marco wrote: Man that was nice trip and fantastic story, i really read every word and really nicely told and you havde a lot's of fun.
my favorate photo is this
71011996.jpg

The closer you get, The Slower i go,,, haahah,,nice one.

did you make calculation of total cost of your trip?

also that cottages in Pai, middle of the rice paddy, with own roof top terace, what a treat with that money.

Nice trip story, nicely told i give you all 10 point of that and hope to hear and see your next road trip.

Well done mate
ha... that was a car sign i picked up in a local gift shop back home, in honor of all who tailgates me!

did a rough calculation, spent about SGD$1.5k, that equates to about US$1.1k according to the market exchange rates then!

Aug 24, 2009
tonykiwi wrote: I agree wholeheartedly with Marco, that was a wonderful account and clearly reflective of a fantastic trip altogether. Thanks for taking the time to post and make me jealous

T
thanks for taking the time to read too! well as the saying goes, have bike, will travel!