My New 2011 WR450F

Oct 26, 2009
Hi All,

Just thought I would post up some photos of my new WR450F I picked up on Tuesday. It should be arriving at my home in Chiang Mai today in the post. Got lots of mods to do with her and will take most of my time up for the next month or so. I cant believe how light and well balanced it is compared to a KLX, not a huge difference but it certainly is the first thing you notice.
The fuel range is a bit disappointing. The stock tank is 2.1 gallons and the average im hearing from TT is between 25-35 mpg. Thats 85-117 km on a tank :thumbdown: depending how your riding of-course. The Clarke tank should improve that :thumbup:

A quick query regarding fuel. The manual states it will accept Gasohol 95 (it does have "for Canada" in brackets when mentioning this), as long as it doesn't exceed E10 Ethanol, which I think is what we have here in Thailand. Anyone have any issues using Gasohol 95 (E10) in a relatively new Carb'd bike? or is it safer to go with Benzene 95, if so is there many places supplying B95?

Initail mods will be:

Scott Steering Damper
Clarke 3.6 gallon tank
Hand Guards
Skid Plate
Trailtech Vapor with Temp Sensor
Modify RHS Radiator with 4" Spal Fan and mounting frame.
Carry out stator mod.

All other free mods ie exhaust baffle removal, grey wire cut, snorkel cut, Jetting, AIS removal etc will be put on hold until I get use to it stock. Its heavily restricted stock. The first ride on it I certainly didnt get this impression (not that its not restricted) its just ive been use to a KLX :wink:

Plenty of respect required on this off-road me thinks :crazy:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Sep 19, 2006
www.chiangmai-xcentre.com
Great Bike! I am Sure they have Two versions Sold New In New Zealand, One Street Legal the other is Pure Enduro. I also thought the New Models were Fuel Injected? Would Be great if You could get a Plate & Green Book for it! Enjoy!

Oct 26, 2009
I think they only come in Enduro mode. There are several companies offering dual sport kits, including Bajadesign.
Carb only for the moment im afraid, the YZ has been introduced with Fi, maybe 2012 for the WR's!

Oct 26, 2009
So eventually after alot of hassle with customs in Bangkok the WR arrives at my home in Chiang Mai.
Now I have no idea who builds these after they come out the container from wherever but I never take the chance of everything being the way it should be. Anything imported I would suggest giving it a really good going over, even from the likes of some big bike import companies in Bangkok. I couldn't believe the build issues I had with a brand new K8 GSXR-1000, that took ages to sort out.
So here I am again stripping down the WR and going over everything. So far, fuel hoses not on properly, rear subframe just about to fall off, filter not oiled, no grease on bearing/pivots, pinched wires/hoses, wheel axle's swing arm torqued to about 5,000 lbs/ft!!!, upper triple clamp lhs not even tightened, exhaust joint loose, loom routing incorrect, clutch no where near adjusted properly, the lists goes on and on.
This is going to be a great project.
Anyway here she is........

Before:
web.jpg

And a few hours after
web.jpg

web.jpg

KenYam

Nov 2, 2007
Fu********farrrrrrr...out - Ok hope you have fun rebuilding her. Sounds as if your confident in your ability . Nice fun bike.

Cheers Ken F

Oct 26, 2009
Keihin FCR 39 Carb. When I collected the bike yesterday it was a pig to start, possibly due to sitting with Gasohol in it for 1 month. Will strip down and thoroughly clean all chambers, needles and jets.
web.jpg

450cc lump. Will check valve clearances, all torques and give the cylinder head/bore/piston a quick inspection while its out
web.jpg

Swing arm pivot bearing. No lubrication whatsoever!!!
web.jpg

Incredible how light these swing arms are.
web.jpg

Some light lubrication on the upper and lower steering head bearings. Not enough for my liking.
web.jpg

The frame, a work of art.
web.jpg

I may rebuild and re-valve the forks at some point. Allot of WR riders, more so of the pro riders complaining the front end is sloppy. As im only an average rider, it more than likely will suffice for now, we'll see.
web.jpg

There was some minor damage on the frame where it looked like a screwdriver or similar was used to lever/wedge the engine into place at install, These areas have been carefully blended out. Apart from that and the usual loose fastener or over-torqued bolt here and there not too much else to report in a negative way.

Im also considering an SMT slipper clutch, at $1200 new I may try an source an nearly new item first. This will be awesome on the road with 17" rims and some decent tires.
motostrano_2147_41142518

That me for the day..... :yawn:

Oct 26, 2009
Top and bottom steering head bearing/housings well lubricated.
web.jpg

Before top triple goes on Scott Frame Bracket installed
web.jpg

Stock triple clamp installed with Scott sub mount. This raises the bars by approx 3/4".
web.jpg

Installation of Scott Dampener complete.
web.jpg

Front view.
web.jpg

With bar fitted.
web.jpg

Trailtech Vapor replaces the stock display. The stocker only gives you speed indication and various time settings. The Vapor will have water temp sensor, ambient temp, speed, engine speed (rpm), and all the enduro type time settings available. Will be 12V supplied but also operated off it own battery. Stock speed sensor cable was snipped and removed. Replacement routes up the same side as the brake line.
web.jpg

Front wiring has been re-installed with correct routing. Before hand was just a mess and cables would have been damaged over time. Alot tidier and organised now.
web.jpg

The pair of blue on/off toggle switches you see will be used to operate the headlight and rhs radiator pull fan. They installed very nicely into the old display mounting points. This way I will not have to carry out the stator mod to accommodate more power for the extra fan. The fan will obviously be manually operated and used in conjunction with the temp sensor output on the Vapor. I don't see any reason to have the fan and light on at the same time. The light switch is also handy for Cambodia.
web.jpg

Dec 27, 2007
Good Stuff Johnny!
Wow, that is going to be quite the beastie once you've finished with her!
Dumb question, but did you buy it new? And if so, shouldn't the bearings have been greased at the factory?
Great pics- my hands are usually too grubby to think about picking up a camera when I'm grease monkeying my bikes ;-)
Ride On!
Tony

Oct 26, 2009
Hey Tony,
Yes the bike was new and yes it should have been greased at the factory. However who knows what kind of journey these grey imports take on, and also remember it has been disassembled and rebuilt, to what extent I don't know. I would only be guessing the length of time it was sitting in a crate, bearings etc open to the elements. I wouldn't like to point fingers at a manufacturer or anyone else, its just something ive become accustomed to over the years, I actually enjoy taking bikes apart, finding problems and rectifying them, sad I know, but hey thats the way I am.
Using a camera has a few good uses when your stripping stuff down and carrying out maintenance. It serves as a running log of what you've done (no need for steps/entries in a notebook), you can quickly revert to a stage of disassembly for reference eg routing, its good for posting on forums like these (i hope it makes some interesting reading), it actually jogs my memory rather well when I flick through the photos before I start off on another day = fewer mistakes, and your always going to have these photos for years to come.

So what ive been getting up to over the past few days. I spent a good few hours rewiring the oem loom/harness to accommodate the addition of a fan with manual toggle switch, toggle switch for headlight, Vapor power/temp/tacho signals, Garmin harness. Its all been integrated into the existing harness properly ie wires not running directly off the battery, which is not wrong as long as you have the fuses in line etc, it just makes life easier for in the future when you have to remove it all again and it looks cleaner also.

This is the signal wire coming off the coil connector which in turn is converted in to your RPM (tachometer) reading on your Vapor.
web.jpg

Original speed sensor cable is now redundant as the vapor uses its own sensor. Snipped and blanked off with heat-shrink. I might be teaching some to suck eggs but always remember to leave enough tail incase you need to return the bike to stock for whatever reason.
web.jpg

After the electrics were all completed and ready for installation I had a wee break from the spanners and done some research for getting it green booked. After chasing my tail for a while and reading lots of posts on forums, and there is lots of information, some good some misleading, in-fact a lot of misleading information. I eventually narrowed my options down to three companies in Bangkok. And with help from my wife (my Jock accent and poor attempt at Thai doesn't come across very well!!!:huh:) I have a company that will sort everything out for a fixed price. I hopefully will receive the excise proof of payment shortly after the 15th of April, this is included in the fee. Some time later I will have to send the bike to Bangkok for a week or so for them to put it through the emissions test. Ive used Logispost and you can send a 400cc bike or larger to Bangkok for 1,790 Baht. Contrary to what people are saying about the new legislation regarding the emissions test and Carburated bikes it can be done and has been done quite easily using the right people. Hopefully, fingers crossed (and toes) they tell me I should be legal in approx. 3 months after the emissions test. I'd like to also add if you go this route apparently its far easier for the company to get cracking with the process if all the import papers are in a Thais name.

So with that good news I picked up the spanners again.

Time to work on the engine a little. Cylinder head cover was removed to give the valve clearances a quick check. The WR comes with a couple of handy aides to assist bringing the engine to tdc. Remove both covers on the crank case, rotating the crankshaft, align the notch above up with the line on the rotor.
web.jpg

Theres also a secondary indication on the camshafts shown by aligning the two punch marks up horizontally.
web.jpg

There's a total of 5 valves to check, 2 intake and 3 exhaust. All were within the specified limits, however the one shown below was at the upper end of the tolerances for some reason, usually out the factory they are adjusted to the lower tolerance to allow for wear. Ill need to keep an eye on this one.
web.jpg

Now a word of caution. The feeler gauges that I purchased a wee while ago, some of the values are incorrect, the ones below for instance. You can see the floppy one which is obviously the thinner of the two, the metric reading is larger than the thicker one!!! aaaah I here you say thats what you get for buying gear made in China, nope it clearly has made in the USA stamped on it. What's the world coming to when you have to get calipers to check feeler gauges!!! It took me a while to figure it out, but I got there in the end.
web.jpg

I would have liked to remove the cylinder head but unfortunately the gasket kit hasn't arrived yet, so its on the jobs to do list. All external bolts were loosened re-seated and torqued, all good.
web.jpg

So that was yesterday. Today I spent a bit of time going over what I had done up till now before installing the engine. All good (I think). :roll:
So in she went. I took my time removing it and making a mental note of the angles required to get it out smoothly. So the reverse was carried out and it slipped in very easily.
web.jpg

web.jpg

So after this I spent a bit of time routing all cables, which took longer than expected as it wasn't done properly previously on rebuild. The routing diagrams from the manufacturers aren't the best but its all you have to get on with. What I did notice with the Scott Dampener mount bracket which is shown in a previous post. When you rotate the steering one of the throttle cables and the throttle position sensor catches on the pinch bolt/gap of the Scott clamp. Its only slightly but enough to cause problems over time. Something to keep in mind if you fit one of these.
All connectors were checked for continuity and resistance between each other (within bundles) and earth. The battery was also slaved in and operation of the Vapor and GPS was checked good. Fan and Headlight toggle switches operating correctly. The electric/ignition system was also fully checked and all results within spec. The spark plug gap of all things was to too big by 0.1mm
web.jpg

The colorful plastic fish you see above on the floor are part of a game my two young daughters are into at the minute. It comes with two whipping fishing rods with magnets on the end which is quite sore when it cracks you across the heed. This adds to the challenge of an already challenging project. :crazy:

I mentioned a few days ago how high the torques were on some of the bolts when I dismantled the bike, as if two or three mechanics had been bouncing on a 12ft long bar with a socket on the end. Well have a look at the picture below. I religiously use a torque wrench and refer to bike specific tables for correct values when re-building. Now as you can see these bolts aren't the best of quality (shame on you Yamaha) and is all the more reason to ensure you correctly stick to the correct torques. The torque for this bolt, and this is the lower engine mounting bracket bolt by the way!, is 38ft/lbs. Now thats not much but it managed to shear it quite easily, the reason because it had been well over torqued previously and just about passed it point of elasticity. You can actually feel this when torquing up. There were a few others that felt the same but managed to hold on until the required torque. I will be replacing these as a matter of course.
web.jpg

So that's me for the night, the front end is nearly complete, its sort of looking like a motorcycle again. Tomorrow ill try and get round to stripping down the Carb and giving it a good clean. And maybe get that fitted and give the engine a test before the rear end goes on.

Good night :yawn:

Oct 26, 2009
Replaced the main engine mounting bolts as promised. These bolts tensile properties are far superior to the stock items they are heavier but its a sacrifice im more than willing to accept. Its all about weight from the manufacturers these days, pressure is on them to produce lighter bikes than their opposition
IMG_0844-20--202011-03-31-20at-2012-26-51.jpg

Today I mostly sat at my workbench listening to music and stripping down the Carburetor. I was hoping to see some major indications of Gasohol residue, there was some but nothing to be concerned about. All chambers and moving parts were nice and clean and free to move. There was some flaking of coating from the throttle valve plate. Scraped the remaining flakes of carefully.

Throttle Valve. Looks like something out of Robot Wars! You can see the coating flaking off at the left hand corners.
web.jpg

A better view of the flaking.
IMG_0792-20--202011-03-31-20at-2010-50-16.jpg

Throttle valve being carefully removed.
web.jpg

Float chamber which contains most of the jets. Main Jet, Pilot Jet, Needle Jet, Starter Jet, Pilot Air Jet and Leak Jet.
web.jpg

Throttle shaft assembly being removed from its housing. Remove these carefully noting how them came out and position of springs as its easy to refit them again incorrectly.
web.jpg

When refitting jets as there is no torque values extra care is needed when tightening. They do not require excessive pressure a wee nip is sufficient. A note on the pilot screw (this may be the same for most makes), these are set at factory for each individual bike. It must be screwed fully in and a note of the turns recorded for reference.
web.jpg

All jets, needles, components and chambers cleaned thoroughly with a petroleum based solvent. All looks good for a rebuild.
web.jpg

And here it is re-built and installed on the bike.
web.jpg

Here's a photo of the foam blanks I used on the Carb. The orangey brown residue you can see is the product of Gasohol. This is very minor, I have seen some older carb'd bikes with this gunk everywhere. Too much of this and your bike just wont run properly and it will attack older plastics/rubbers that are not suitable for use with Gasohol. I have some photos of an R1 that had been severely attacked by Gasohol, ill try and find them and post them up for you to see what this stuff is capable of.
web.jpg

I had a quick go of the clutch before I knocked off for the day. I knew previously that something wasn't right with it. When I collected the bike I noticed a bigger clunk than normal when selecting from neutral into 1st. When riding the bike and stopping at lights it just wouldn't go into neutral no matter how gentle you tried. After the bike is stopped its rather easy to select neutral! Now when the bike is not running and you select 1st the bike obviously wont roll forward. If you pull in the clutch lever the bike still wont roll forward but it will if you push with a bit of effort. Ive taken a video of whats happening for an easier explanation. I believe the clutch is dragging for some reason. You'll notice the push lever being operated. It appears to be rotating at an angle of between 15-20 degrees. Whether this is enough or the lever has been incorrectly fitted ill find out tomorrow.

Thats me for the night again..night night... :yawn:

Oct 26, 2009
One of those frustrating days with the clutch today, but it has a good ending. The drag that I was experiencing is normal although maybe a bit excessive. The clutch is definitely disengaging, proof was I could physically see the rotors/stators loosening when the clutch cover was removed, also when the clutch is disengaged its slightly easier to rotate the crank now, release the clutch and its all engine. So purely down to proper adjustment and setting the correct free play at the clutch perch.

Clutch cover removed. Notice the score marks on the pressure plate, this looks like a poor attempt at removing the cast marks from the surface in the factory. The edges were quite sharp and required de-burring, preventing cuts on yer fingers and cracks appearing. Your suppose to replace the gasket after removing the cover, I haven't got one so careful when removing so it can be reused. The clutch system shares the same oil as the engine.
web.jpg

Pressure plate being removed exposing the clutch rotor pack.
web.jpg

I initially thought the problems were down to the push rod ball bearing missing, it obviously wasn't.
web.jpg

Clutch pack removed
web.jpg

This your Clutch Boss in the center surrounded by the primary driven gear or Clutch Basket. The centre nut has to be removed and a special Yamaha tool is required to prevent the assembly from turning while you loosen the nut. Well I don't have one so....
web.jpg

So here's my first method. DO NOT do it like this!!
web.jpg

Or you'll have to do this...
The fabricator put too much weld around the post and it took me ages to file it down and finnish it off with a Dremel. Shi_t I thought. Its fine though, probably stronger than the others. A new one will be here in about a weeks time anyway. Now if you havent got the correct tool for the job I suggest getting one :-?
Ive done it this way on other bikes in the past and this is the first one that has done this, been lucky I guess and I have learnt my lesson.
web.jpg

Now I sussed out a far better way if you haven't the correct tool.
Select highest gear possible, in my case 5th. The reason for this is there will be less of a ratio on the front sprocket reducing the torque. Lever the tommy bar against the foot-peg and remove the boss nut from the clutch assembly, easy/ Use tywraps to keep the socket on their good as it will come off easily under load from the other side.
web.jpg

Clutch assembly removed. All looks good.
web.jpg

A quick video of it being operated after re-installing (and filing for ages:crazy:)

Now I previously mentionted about fitting a slipper clutch. I have decided against this for various reasons. After lots of research and reading reviews I have decided to go for a Rekluse Core Clutch with EXP Technology. It basically controls the pressure plate by means of centrifugal forces. The engine cannot be stalled. What I understand it would be similar to the semi-auto scooters. Its does have some negative points but the positives far outweigh them. Most riders who have them fitted state its one of the best upgrades they have applied. Rather than me rabbit on about it here's a link to their product.
http://www.bustersdirtshop.com/product.php?productid=8835
d_8696.jpg

So a bit of a frustrating day, but were all good now. Its the weekend, time to forget about fixing bikes for a few days, lets ride the KLX :thumbup:

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Johnny,
A very informative and well illustrated,entertaining read. Did you pick up your engineering skills from just working on bikes over time, or have you some training. I think if you decided you wanted to work on other peoples bikes as well you could find many people willing to pay good money for a job they can have confidence in. Alternatively a training school for Thai mechanics!!

Oct 26, 2009
Thanks for your kind comments John. I'm not after making money, it's what I enjoy doing and would be happy to help someone out if need be.
I spent 14 years in the RAF as an aircraft engineer working mostly on Harriers and Tornados amonst others. The past 10 years or so I've been working offshore in the ROV industry, at the moment taking a long break from ROV Superintendent in Angola, I love the job but it's a hel_l of a lot of traveling.
So now I find comfort/relaxation from breaking motorcycles!!! Training Thai mechanics, hahaha, I'm trying to chill at the moment and I can see this bumping the stress levels up a few notches, I will say though there are some excellent Thai mechanics

Franz

Jun 28, 2007
Perfect job Johnny !! Well yes, clutch holders are difficult to come by, so I also broke off one thread (don't know the english word for it) at an old bike which forced me to go to Nana screws and get myself a tool to hold on the clutchhousing while tightening......Real nice job you are doing on the WR. Experienced the same lack of grese in some bearings on several bikes, now if I get a local manufactored one new, I remove the PVC protectors and give them a plenty fill of bearing grease. Same with the steering stem ones. Usually I try to get SKF ones as they seem to be the only ones putting in enough lubrication. Overtightened bolts: the rule of the day......on my old SRX I had to redo some 25 threads due to excessive forces prior to my overhauling it....keep up the good work, rgds, Franz

Nov 21, 2010
Wow you have a lot of time, patience and tools on hand!
While doing the wholl engine you might as well blue-print it.

Grey import bikes are TOTALLY dis-assambled and shipped in different containers (wheels by wheels, engine's by engines, frames by frames, tanks by tanks) and then if you are lucky here in Thailand rebuild with somekind of love for the bike. First disaster is the battery ... they ship them also .... dry... and refill them here after been dry for a few weeks. I once saw that they even not took the effort and money to put new oil in it but just used some old oil they had. They will try to save money on every step they have to make. Also the grease on the bolts.

Chang Noi

Oct 26, 2009
Hi again,

Thanks for all the comments and feedback it all welcome.
Franz-ive found Nana screw very useful during this project, thats the place on Charoen Mueng Road, over the Narawat Bridge, right? A lot of mods/upgrades come with larger/smaller dimensions which require longer/shorter fasteners, this place is a one-stop for all of that and also has an excellent choice of tools.
2wheels-your more than welcome to bring your bike round for anything I can assist with if I can. As time and money are not factors I tend to take my time and make sure I don't make mistakes (although not infallible), most people usually want their bikes back asap and I don't seem to work as good or as confident with that thought hanging over me, takes the enjoyment out of it.
Changnoi1-Blueprinting, well as mentioned previously I don't have the gasket kit to do that yet or some other bits and bobs. You are correct though and I will do this at some stage. As you probably noticed from an earlier post some of the engine components were not exactly bang on tight tolerances. Your comment on Grey Imports/Local assemblers is the main reason i am going through all this, many thanks to them for the endless hours of enjoyment. :thumbup:
Just a wee word on batteries. I have ordered x2 of these. They produce the same output as the stock battery, the two of them combined are still lighter than the stocker and will fit in the battery compartment. One for in-use and one for backup. although the WR comes with a kick start. The more start options is always a bonus when your out and about. Because of the Rekluse clutch that will be getting fitted shortly there is no option to bump start. There is an bypass to use the conventional clutch but until it arrives im not sure how easy it is to bypass.
5.0%20Ah_2.jpg

To be honest I wouldn't say you need loads of tools to do what ive done up til now, in-fact you would be amazed at how much you actually do need. A half decent socket set, allen keys, screw driver set, torque wrench and away you go. There is times when "special tools" are required, but my experiences are you can always get around it by having a good think and using what you've got around you, but then again you may have to have a good thing a couple of times to accomplish the task as previously happened with the clutch boss :think:

So after a nice weekend I went out this morning and stared at the bike with a cup of 3in1 coffee for half an hour, trying to figure out where to begin. Well all the engine was plumbed in so I thought i'd make a start on the cooling fan. I would have to mount the new 3.6 gallon Clarke tank as opposed to the 2.1 gallon stock tank. This should give me a bit more ferry on the road. Here's the differences in size:
web.jpg

It doesn't half get the 2011 award for ugliest motorcycle part
IMG_5132-20--202011-04-04-20at-2010-20-24.jpg

The stock tank mounted.
IMG_5135-20--202011-04-04-20at-2010-21-52.jpg

and the Clarke tank...
web.jpg

I went for the a black one as it looks as if it belongs there. Ive seen colour coded tanks, clear ones etc and my personal opinion is they look out of place, however the clear ones are handy to see your fuel level if you've no other means of telling. I have a Zumo which monitors your fuel level and also the reserve on the tank as back up when that goes wrong. Just a matter of getting use to and monitoring your range. Here's the tank mounted with the right hand shroud. All bolted straight up no problem, nice fit.
web.jpg

Well the Clarke tank left me hardly any room to work with regards to fitting the pull fan. The tank and shroud was on and off approx. 1,001 times!! Eventually with the use of a Dremmel (great little things, Homepro 2,000 Baht, I got the last one, display model, sorry), some much needed patience and a wee bit of jiggery pokery it squeezed in quite nicely. There's a slight gap between tank and fan and its very close, Ill put some PTFE tape onto the tank at that point incase there is any sort of fouling and inspect it on future maintenance schedules. For those who don't know, a pull fan works by drawing the air through from the leading face of the radiator. You actually get more airflow than the normal blow fan and off-course if you were blowing from this side it would probably be hot air from the engine/exhaust, maybe sounds negligible but it all helps in this climate! Also by having it mounted on the rear of the radiator prevents or drastically reduces damage and it doesn't block normal riding air flow if it were mounted on the front. Forgive me if this sounds simple but Ive been asked this a few times in the past. A quick note on the fan, its a 4" Spal unit from the states ($40ish eBay), waterproof and robust. Some folk use PC fans! not recommended for off-road use. If they fail quite regularly in an air-conditioned office with the fresh smell of Chanel#5 flowing through them, what chance have they up Doi Suthep or the Cardamoms?
web.jpg

My daughter was drawing pictures of teddy bears on the back of the radiator :shifty:
web.jpg

You can buy fancy brackets to mount these fans and usually they are a pain in the butt to fit, extra weight and they also cost extra. You also can take the radiator to a local fabricator and get them to weld some lugs that will match up to the mounting points, all the best to you with that, I wouldn't, these radiators are really fragile. Here's the best way that I have found to do it and its dead easy, will cost you next to nothing and its easy to remove. The fins on the radiator (the bits that are easy to damage in between the water path tubes), a correctly selected tywrap will pass through from one side to the other. Open the mounting holes up on the fan if necessary (I had to by a couple of mm) pass the tywrap through the hole and through the radiator. Don't finnish the tywrap off in the conventional way just use another end of another tywrap and slide it down the other side which will secure the fan. I only did three as this was more than enough. Here's some photos . It looks really tidy when you do it this way and you can just about mount the fan anywhere you want on the radiator. You also get the fan flush to the surface of the radiator which makes it operate more efficiently.
web.jpg

web.jpg

After the fan/radiators were fitted I moved on to fitting the temp sensor for the Vapor, straight forward, cut the required section out of the hose and slip it in. The display will show engine temperature and if your not paying attention to this there is LED warning lights, amber for initial high temp then red for critical temp, will post the results of a test of this later. Hopefully the plan will be to flick the switch for the fan on when I see the amber LED and the water temp should stabilise. The WR does come with a catch/expansion tank for receiving excess expanded hot water. You'll more than likely have heard that riders like to remove these as they are not required and save weight. The folk that don't need them are riding on deserted roads in the antarctic, and for saving weight!! its only like half a kilo, better to take a dump before you go out on your ride rather than risk your coolant spewing out all over the ground. Ill be using Motul's Motocool for coolant, its pre-mixed and you don't have to worry about getting the mix ratio correct or using the right water. It's readily available at the Kawasaki garage in the old town for around 400ish Baht. So I think all this will go a long way to keeping her cool.
web.jpg

0000_Motul_MotoCool_Coolant_Expert_--.jpg

Rest of the day consisted of wiring the loom to accommodate the position of the fan. Also its important to test all your connections before you start soldering/heat-shrinking or wrapping it all in electrical tape, nothing more annoying than when you press the button and nothing happens and you have to remove all the insulation again, ugh. Some double ended test crocodile clips, chocolate blocks (terminal blocks) and your battery and it only takes a minute to check it out.
web.jpg

I decided to relocate the Vapor to where the original display was. Once I put the front headlight panel on it looked vulnerable, so down it went, and if you've ever seen any of my off-road videos posted on this forum you'll understand why as im a wee bit partial to going head first over the handlebars when getting too excited!!
It will also be out of the sun and ill probably be able to see it more clearly. This left me with a problem of where to relocate the fan and headlight switches to. I wasnt too happy where they were anyway. Ill need to have a think about that one, maybe some sort of universal handlebar control, something like this. I also want to have some sort of LED/visual indication that either the headlight or fan is on. :idea:
4.jpg

web.jpg

If you close your left eye and raise your left hand up to cover where the rear section of the bike would normally be you can just about make out a motorcycle :wtf:
web.jpg

good night..... :yawn:

Oct 26, 2009
2wheels;266859 wrote: Thanks JS; I'll be in touch later (when your current project is finished and on the road).

By the way; I'm definitely no mechanic and certainly know nothing about frames, but does this pic of yours show a somewhat
damaged and repaired frame that still looks fragile?

266859=2310-web.jpg

Regards

No, what your looking at is the lower engine mounting lug/padeye

Oct 26, 2009
Todays objective was to try and get the bike into a state where the engine could be tested.
Fuel **** transfered to Clarke Tank. Have you ever wondered how your reserve fuel works, here's your answer.
IMG_0922-20--202011-04-05-20at-2008-20-26.jpg

All moving parts on the swing arm thoroughly greased. After fitment excess grease removed to avoid attracting dirt.
web.jpg

web.jpg

Spot the obvious mistake :oops:
web.jpg

Subframe just about finished. A bit of time spent routing the loom correctly and all electrical/electronic components.
web.jpg

web.jpg

Rear fender fitted. Alot of cables, hoses, expansion tank and the CDI unit are crammed into a small space behind the LH side panel.
web.jpg

Beginning to take shape. Test fit seat, panels etc for fitment, no real issues.
web.jpg

Exhaust fitted. This will eventually get replaced but for now everything will be stock on the engine until its past its emission test.
web.jpg

I really like how easy the access is to all the components from the LHS. In-fact the whole bike is relatively easy to work on with the exception of the Carburetor. To work on it properly you really need to remove the subframe and top bolt from the rear shock. I reckon the Carb could be completely removed from the bike in half an hour going at it steady.
web.jpg

All fluids replaced iaw Yamaha specs. Benzine95 sourced from the Shell Garage on Hangdong Road just south from Tesco Lotus. Before pressing the button I spent half an hour going over everything looking for any last minute errors.
web.jpg

Oct 26, 2009
Here's a short video of the bike being started for the first time after the rebuild.
The bike was run for a good 15 minutes at least. Operated the fan when the temp showed 114C. However the temp continued to increase albeit at a lower pace. The fans definitely making a difference as you can feel the hot blast of air being drawn from the rear of the radiator. You'll also notice the expansion/catch tank doing its job, the radiator cap should be relieving at 16psi, still to check this. If the cap relieves too early you obviously loose pressure and too much coolant to the catch tank. The engine was stopped when it reached 130C, the specs of the motocool indicate its good up to 133C, however you want to keep the engine temp lower than this. So I have between 10-15 minutes at idle before the temp gets critical which is pretty good considering the air temperature. I'll set the warning temp LED's at 110C (operate fan), 119C (stop bike and have a break time). At the end of the video you can see the Vapor displaying the ambient air temp, 42C. Ive also found out that WR's come out the factory very lean, probably for emissions regulations in certain countries. A lean or rich running bike will cause unnecessary heat build up in your engine. So once I get it back from the emissions test in Bangkok it will get re-jetted and a better flowing exhaust fitted which will give more power but more importantly it will run cooler.
The Vapor Tacho requires calibrating as when the engine is at the upper rev range the pulses from the coil are different, which in turns gives wonky readouts.
Overall very pleased, the bike started alot more crisper than it did a few weeks ago when i picked it up and ticked over very nice.
Has anyone any idea where a good shop that stocks auto electrical switches and that kind of stuff, tried Omoron and thats not got what I need. Or a bike shop that might stock some second hand handlebar controls that I can modify?

Oct 26, 2009
This morning got the cooling system purged properly and found small pockets of air here and there. Catch tank hose took some time to bleed. Filled the expansion tank more than indicated on the bottle to give it a better header to prevent air getting in, a little bit extra doesn't do any harm anyway, if the expansion tank gets too full it will just vent to atmosphere (motocool is environmentally friendly :shh:).

The lower dotted line is where the expansion tank level is when cold. And the upper dotted line is when the engine temp is 119C and the engine shut off. So there's approx. just over 10mm of expansion travel on the bottle from cold to the max warning temp, pretty good and shouldn't loose any coolant.
web.jpg

Expansion tank feed hose no signs of air
web.jpg

Other end good too...
IMG_0938-20--202011-04-06-20at-2011-43-14.jpg

After bleeding/purging I completed another idle test. The below table shows the results. A lot better than yesterdays.
You can see the fan was operated when the temp reached 110C and the amber LED illuminated (its pretty bright too). Previous to the fan operation the temp was climbing at an average of 8 degC/min from start up, probably around 6degC/min at operating temperature. When the fan was operating the temp increase averaged out at 1.8degC/min until I switched the engine off at 119C. Happy with that. Note that the ambient temp went up by 6C during the test due to the hot air from the engine spiraling around the Vapor onboard sensor. When out and about the air temp will not react like this and I should get better cooling to the radiator. A good test and gives me some confidence now when up in the hills doing the slow technical trails.

web.jpg

Also the expansion tank started flowing at around 77C. This should relate to the radiator cap venting at 16psi. I want to clarify this but im sure its good.

Oct 26, 2009
Went out for a gentle spin naked (the bike!) this late afternoon. Its always a very nervous time going out on the road for the first time after such major maintenance. Every noise from the bike does not go unnoticed, is that normal? did I hear that before? just ignore it, it'll go away! it's meant to do that, I think!. For me this state of paranoia lasts for ten minutes when I usually stop give it a good going over, kick the tires, realise everything fine and try and enjoy the positive aspects.
Firstly the Stabiliser from Scott is so smooth and the feel through the steering is confidence expiring, cant wait to try it off-road. At speed steering head shake is almost entirely eliminated. There was a couple of occasions where you felt the head beginning to shake followed by the stabiliser slapping it back into line, awesome. At slower speeds when filtering past slow or stationary traffic on the outside lane you can feel it working, its difficult to explain. The road I noticed it on was in poor condition with tarmac ruts, bumps and the odd small pot hole. You'll understand this feeling if you've ever experienced your bikes front wheel going into these tarmac tracks/ruts (usually before a junction with traffic lights) and the wheel just tracks in the rut direction without any input from you. Well the stabiliser just reacted to these like they were not there and tracked on the direction intended. Now this is going to be fun off-road.

Next the engine temperature. Throughout the road test the Vapor indicated between 72-75C, with the odd jump up to 90C at traffic lights. Soon as I began moving the temp dropped linearly back to its operating temp in approx. 20 seconds, cool (literally). Didn't even get to use the fan!

The clutch was also good. Gear changes were crisp with little effort from the clutch lever. I also got it into neutral a good few times, which is a good few times more than previously. However it is finicky, maybe it just needs running in a bit more. There's just the normal engaging clunk now from neutral into gear, before it felt like someone had skelpped the crank case with a 50lb sledge hammer.

Even with knobblies on, the bike felt planted in bends. This in motard trim must be fantastic fun, I can see the attraction with these big thumpers on the road. Unfortunately its mostly been sports-bikes on the road for me, but I cant wait to try it at some point. Primarily I got the bike for trail riding which is where my heart lies and thats what ill be enjoying first and foremost.
Now the engine feels strong but it isn't as scary as I had imagined. Stock from the factory is around the 38bhp mark. Uncork the engine, carry out a few free de-resrtiction mods, re-jet the carburetor, fit an aftermarket exhaust and you'll see 50bhp!. Not to mention the stock throttle stop limits the range by 75%. Insert a YZ throttle stop and you then have 100%. For now its more than enough for me to get on with.

Here's a 5 minute boring video from my helmet camera this afternoon.

Oct 26, 2009
Today I found one of those excellent sticky posts on GT-R. The one about handy motorcycle shops in Chiang Mai. While scrolling through the photos I notice a shop listed as Ing-On (hope I got that right). Now to the untrained eye this is chaos, nope I noticed just what I needed. 600 Baht later I was on my way to more progress ($50-80 on eBay).
622171637_7yG7Z-S.jpg

Its a wee tad on the getting bigger than wee side but it has all the functions I need and more. Low and behold the Kawa...Suz...oh who cares the switching unit I need for the WR. Ideally I would have loved to have this on the right hand side of the handlebars, but the front brake master cylinder said bugger off! So to the other side it was. Cant explain why I wanted it that side as im full of Vodka just now but im sure I had good reasons.
IMG_0953-20--202011-04-08-20at-2013-06-01.jpg

The mirror adapter had to come off as it interfered with the hot start lever. An hour or so later with a hacksaw and the Dremmel it was history. The hot start lever was a tad too low so a couple of 10mm nuts uplift and it was good to go. It also had about five hundred wires coming out of it bowing for attention, snip, snip, snip and we were down to what we needed.
web.jpg

web.jpg

You'll notice the engine kill switch is still present . I was going to integrate it into the yellow start switch you see. However I decided that it was maybe to easy to inadvertently hit this so decided against it. It is there for for future reference and im sure ill find a purpose for it, machine gun or something!

The massive RED switch is for the fan and the horizontal switch for the headlight, job done.

So here we have it , the office.....
web.jpg

web.jpg

Im so looking forward to thrashing this. At the moment its heavily restricted. She's refusing to wheelie off the power in second without clutch interference but believe me once the the Thai emissions test is over and done with its going to be fully uncorked and a different bike completely. A JD jet kit is winging its way to Thailand in anticipation as we speak. The bike is frustratingly lean with its pops and hiccups at the moment, I need to administer first aid but for now it will have to suffer in the shadow of Thai bureaucracy.

web.jpg

web.jpg

IMG_0981-20--202011-04-08-20at-2018-13-44.jpg

Now I still have loads of thing to do on this project, but for sure I will post progress as I go along. Just before I go tonight I would just like to add a very, very, very special thanks to my 2 year old darling daughter Sunisa (3 in a week or so). She has helped me every step of the way with the bike and this is no word of a lie. She understands all the technical tooling words. spanner, screwdriver, socket, ratchet etc etc. I honestly couldn't have done it with as much fun as I have done with her, she has my heart completely, bless her.
web.jpg

I am however tired of her complaining of the stabilisers being to low on her green machine!!!
IMG_5253-20--202011-04-09-20at-2000-30-25.jpg

DavidFL

Staff member
Subscribed
Jan 16, 2003
Chiang Khong
www.thegtrider.com
johnnysneds;266931 wrote: Today I found one of those excellent sticky posts on GT-R. The one about handy motorcycle shops in Chiang Mai. While scrolling through the photos I notice a shop listed as Ing-On (hope I got that right). Now to the untrained eye this is chaos, nope I noticed just what I needed. 600 Baht later I was on my way to more progress ($50-80 on eBay).
622171637_7yG7Z-S.jpg
:thumbup: Glad you appreciate the "Handy Shops Sticky.
I appreciate your brilliant contributions. :clap:

and here's the link
https://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/threads/25935-Chiang-Mai-Handy-Motorcycle-Related-Shops
if anyone else is interested.