My New 2011 WR450F

Oct 26, 2009
Real or Model?

web.jpg

web.jpg

Oct 26, 2009
Over the past couple of weeks ive had the pleasure to test the WR On and Off-road. I joined some of the SSR guys in Nan and travelled onto Chiang Rai and eventually arrived back in CM after a few days. OMG this bike is best fun I have EVER had on two wheels. I never fitted the Rekluse clutch for this trip as I wasn't sure how it would perform on fast road so I put it on hold. Never got a chance to jet it or de-restrict it either as time wasn't on my side so off I went with it pretty much stock. After hammering around the twisties for a few days I came to the conclusion that it is severely restricted, good fun none the less. The handling is sublime and amazing the speeds you can carry into the corners and how early you can get on the gas on exits.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The fuel range also is incredible. 220Km was the furthest distance between fuel stops and I hadn't even reached the reserve yet. Add the fuel that is normally trapped in the right hand side of these aftermarket tanks and I reckon I could reach 300Km !!!!
I had a problem with excess oil being vented into the air-box. This was due to overfilling. Previously I had drained the oil and replaced the oil filter. I assumed that the oil would have been fully drained at this point so added the 1litre that the specs indicated. I have learned since that oil approx. 400ml gets trapped in the oil pump which also has to be removed during service. Had to stop several times during the trip to drain the excess oil from the air-box.
Managed a GPS top speed of 153Km/h

Here's a couple of videos from the tour:

After the road tour was over it was time to put her back to dirt mode.
The rear end of the bike was dismantled again to get at the Carb. James Dean Jetting kit was fitted. This includes an o-ring which is fitted to the accelerator pump to give instantaneous throttle response off idle. I also removed the grey wire from the ECU to give a more aggressive ignition mapping. Now the changes were noticeable straight away after the engine was started. No choke is required to start her now and the engine response at the slightest blip is awesome, wow what a difference. Also removed the rest of the end baffle assembly to give more flow and the sound a bit of a boost, I think ive got it just right and no need for an aftermarket exhaust, not really into loud exhausts anyway. Took her for a spin around the Samoeng Loop and it was like getting on a completely different bike. I also removed two links from the chain due to stretch over the previous hard days riding. Now the slightly shorter wheel base coupled with the derestrictions and this bike becomes a handful on the road and takes some time to get use to it. The ride got ruined by rain so couldn't explore the performance to it full.

web.jpg

Next came the Rekluse clutch. Now myself and a friend thought it would be a good idea to have a go at this with the use of a bottle of Jack Daniels!!! All went well with the installation. There's different conditions you can set it up for. I went for the low RPM engagement to stop it free wheeling near idle and 24 balls instead of 27 to give it a smooth engagement. Now the bottle of JD was well on its way at this point and all seemed to be well so we called it a night. Next morning I went for a test ride. Started the engine, all seems good. Into gear without the clutch, no problems. Now accelerating away it took around 4K rpm before the thing started to move. I thought thats too smooth an engagement! On I went anyway. Gear changing is sweet up and down, similar to a quick shifter only a bit rougher and you have to roll off the throttle slightly. I arrived at the place where I had to make a u-turn at a fair speed, banging down the gears. Once into second the bike started free wheeling and I over shot the u-turn. Got back to the house and wasn't at all impressed with the clutch. Scratching my head I couldn't understand what all the fuss was over it. Eventually I had a read of the manual, the previous evening my friend was in charge of the manual and I did the donkey work, seemed to work good :crazy: Alas the last page, how to adjust the clutch lever free play!!!. Now the lever feel when fitted with a Rekluse is non existent, it should be sloppy. My mate adjusted the clutch as if it were a normal clutch, this meant there was clutch disengagement without doing anything!!! The way to do it is get it in neutral and rev the engine to 4,500 rpm. There now will be clutch feel and you now can adjust the free play to 10mm. Oh it would have been so much clearer without the bottle of Jack Daniels!!! The bike pulls away firmly now, in ANY gear. No free wheeling when decelerating and the only word I can describe it with is FANTASTIC.

Ive been doing some hard trail riding for the past week or so and the Rekluse Clutch makes riding soooo easy as does the steering damper. There is NO comparison between this and my KLX. Where the KLX will just do whatever is required of it the WR does it the same only a lot faster and with far less effort. What a machine!!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The last day was the hardest ive ever done off-road. Every corner we went round there were trees lying across the track blocking the way. The tracks were very slippy and throttle control had to be precise or you were off. That hard packed or loose red clay stuff is a nightmare. Man handling the bikes over obstacles for what seemed like an eternity really took it out of us and we were glad to see tarmac at the end of it.
Im uploading some video at the moment and will post it as soon as it finishes.

Oct 26, 2009
Today I fitted a multi-point charging system to the WR.

a34957914dc44d214cb3a6b3af983480.jpg

Ive had this now for a few years and you can get them from here:
http://www.locatis.eu

They've also got a lot of other handy charging accessories to suit your bike.

Its waterproof and has worked flawlessly on my other bikes.
I basically got it for charging my phone and camera when on the go.

Ive mounted it at the rear so I can charge gadgets in my rear luggage while riding.
web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The step down transformer will accept voltages between 10-30 Volts dc and output 5 Volts dc for all your electronic needs. Used Velcro stripe and secured it under my seat for easy access/removal.
web.jpg

The unit will supply a max current of 1.0 Amp and has an inline fuse of 1A as shown.
web.jpg

I was hoping I could operate my helmet camera while charging it at the same time, unfortunately it wont power up when the USB slot is being powered. Charging only. Im sure there will be a way to bypass this. Would be good to not worry about the battery expiring just before those special moments.
web.jpg

web.jpg

Oct 26, 2009
The WR is now 100% legal in Thailand. The book/paperwork/insurance/tax all checks out on a Bangkok number plate, awesome.

Nice number too :happy5:

web.jpg

Sep 4, 2007
I echo Ian' well done, and must be a great feeling, that now you know that the bike is not only mechanically all A1, but it is also fully legal. I have to add that I do know a number of people who have used Bangkok companies to get a legal book for new unused bikes with all the right invoice paperwork, Brian for instance with several bikes, and of course people like Red Baron, do it all the time. These are not cheap and of course the bike has to go for the emission tests, so it takes time. I guess from the time of Johnny's initial posting it took a month or so longer than the initial quoted 3 months.

May 6, 2009
I don’t understand it but I am intrigued by this Thailand registration system.
Johnny has stated that he has registered his bike and now has a green book, plate and papers.
In the past four years I have purchased an R1, FZ1 and two CBR1000rr in Thailand. All were brand new parts imported bikes.
All were put through the system in Bangkok and I received the revered Green book, plates and the small square bike mounted registration paper.
All the Green books had matching frame an engine numbers. No frame numbers had been changed on the bikes. Still original numbers as I have my Singapore Blade also and the frame number on that is identical in font and stamp position, quantity of numbers, colour, layout etc.
Thanks to John Gooding noticing that the FZ1 green book described the bike as a Harley Davison I had it changed at the land transport office in Kumphawapi to Yamaha.
I changed the colour of one of my blades and I had that change noted in the green book.
I have since sold the R1 and the buyer changed the papers into his name in Bangkok. No issues for him.
Everything seems to be above board and legal with all these bikes. However, I realise they are not technically legal as they were imported in parts (legally) and assembled then licensed through whatever corrupt system is used. (This is the possible and likely illegal part)
The parts had the excise duty paid so that part was legal. To get the Green book the bikes had to go to Bangkok for over one month. This all seems to be the same process Johnny used.
I have heard of Grey books but mine are definitely Green. Or is that colour just a figure of speech?
It seems all my bikes have legitimate papers however if I take Ian’s statement at face value it seems my papers may not equal Johnny’s in legality.
Can anyone describe to me what is the difference between my bikes registration plates, green book, tax excise documents and Johnny’s just completed process?

Sep 4, 2007
Hi Brian,
I would say that yours and Johnny's Green books are all legal, as you have seen, you are able to change details and even ownership in the book without any problem. They are all new bikes and books and the book contains the correct original manufacturer's frame and engine numbers. All the correct details are on Thailands vehicle computer system.
Both yours and Johnny's bike were imported new with invoice paperwork, with correct part numbers and the correct tax paid for importing those parts. The cost of the new book to you reflects the cost of emission testing and whatever other tax is paid to make the bike fully legal, plus of course whatever the agent who does the work takes as commission. I do not know if this is done thro the front door as it were, or through internal contacts in the transport office concerned, either way it is a good Green book.
The grey books are also green in colour, but are not belonging to the bike in question, so something has been changed, most commonly the bike frame number changed to reflect the book number and then a new engine number registered in the book. It is possible to continue to tax and insure these bikes at any office, but ownership change in the book, can be difficult or impossible depending which office one uses. Sometimes the guy who provided the grey (green colour) book can effect the change at the office he has 'good contacts' in. Would be interesting for you to get an answer from Red Baron on how he gets his books.

May 6, 2009
Thanks for that explanation John. Vikrom keeps his contacts close to his chest and he has always been reluctant, at least he is to me, to talk about his contacts or process. This is why I think there are shady dealings going on as if it were a legit and open process there is no need for confidentiality.
However, I feel completely satisfied and comfortable that my bikes are legal.
Johnny procured his WR450 through the same person that I used from 2006 to procure my FZ1, R1, WR450, CRF450R and YZ250. That person was very shady in my dealings with him to say the least. But he always came good in the end and delivered.
My two blades are from Red Baron and I was and still are completely satisfied with Vikrom’ s service.
That same person took my FZ1 and R1 to Bangkok and completed the registration process; bike was gone for a month, plate and papers maybe 4 months later. 80,000 Baht each.
It annoys me that one can't just enter a motorcycle shop in Thailand and buy whatever brand takes ones fancy. I was spoilt by the huge range of brands and cheap prices in Australia.
I would like to buy an Aprilia V4 naked. But where to get????